Eartha Kitt

Options
VickiCO
VickiCO Member Posts: 917
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Sad news that Eartha Kitt died today, from colon cancer. I have long admired her spunk and talent. This beast can strike anyone. My prayers to her family and friends.

Vicki

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sad
    I heard that news today, too. Somehow I had missed knowing that she had colon cancer. Do you know how long she had been dealing with it and such?

Gail
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Sad
    I heard that news today, too. Somehow I had missed knowing that she had colon cancer. Do you know how long she had been dealing with it and such?

Gail

Sad
    Gail... that's the first thing I was trying to find out... how long she had been dealing with it and so far I haven't been able to find out when she was diagnosed. She died on Christmas Day at the age of 81 and was being "treated for colon cancer" at the time of her death. I will keep looking and if I find anything I'll post the information here.

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

Ok, I found this...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Eartha Kitt, a sensual singer, dancer and actress who rose from modest rural roots to captivate international audiences with her sultry voice and style, died Thursday at the age of 81.

Andrew Freedman, a long-time friend and publicist, said Kitt died of colon cancer for which she was recently treated at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York.

The cancer was detected about two years ago and treated but recurred after a period of remission.

"She came back strongly. She had been performing until two months ago," Freedman told Reuters by telephone from Los Angles. "We had dates booked through 2009."
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options

Sad
    Gail... that's the first thing I was trying to find out... how long she had been dealing with it and so far I haven't been able to find out when she was diagnosed. She died on Christmas Day at the age of 81 and was being "treated for colon cancer" at the time of her death. I will keep looking and if I find anything I'll post the information here.

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

Ok, I found this...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Eartha Kitt, a sensual singer, dancer and actress who rose from modest rural roots to captivate international audiences with her sultry voice and style, died Thursday at the age of 81.

Andrew Freedman, a long-time friend and publicist, said Kitt died of colon cancer for which she was recently treated at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York.

The cancer was detected about two years ago and treated but recurred after a period of remission.

"She came back strongly. She had been performing until two months ago," Freedman told Reuters by telephone from Los Angles. "We had dates booked through 2009."

Thanks Cheryl
    I, too, was trying to find info. I saw her recently (within the year) in an interview and didn't know she was having this battle. She was strong!

Vicki
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed awhile ago
    Eartha Kitt was diagnosed awhile (many years) ago, and was surviving it for several years. In fact, when I coordinated Colon Palooza 5 in Nashville, she was performing at a theater in Atlanta and was going to make it to the Palooza for one day as a "surprise" to all the attendees. The very last minute, she had to cancel, and I believe that was the start of the downward spiral for her. I remember her from the reruns of the Batman series where she played Catwoman (1967, the year I was born, that is why I only remember her in "rerun" format! lol)

Her life story is SO amazing. Her publicist was so sorry when she had to cancel the Palooza appearance and alluded to the fact that the cancellation was due to health reasons.

Cherish each day! (that's my new lesson to my kids!)

Hugs,
    Stacy
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    Her music
    My darling husband just made me a CD of her songs (from legally downloaded material!) and I've been listening to it all day. What a dame. I feel kinda proud to have her as a "poster girl" for our disease -- even if I was unaware of it till recently.

Tara
  • tootsie1
    Options
    sad
    That just makes me so sad to know. I hate it when someone thinks they've beaten the beast, and it comes back to bite them. Eartha Kitt was an exciting performer. I'm sorry we've lost one of "us."

Gail
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Options
    SAD
    It is always hard to hear of a celebrity losing the battle to colon CA. I remember how
    I felt when Tony Snow, who was in his 50s, and in the Bush White House, died. Sometimes
    there are complications that we don't hear about and age does play a part in the immune
    system being able to put up a good fight....she may have had other ailments going on also.
  • tootsie1
    Options
    dixchi said:

SAD
    It is always hard to hear of a celebrity losing the battle to colon CA. I remember how
    I felt when Tony Snow, who was in his 50s, and in the Bush White House, died. Sometimes
    there are complications that we don't hear about and age does play a part in the immune
    system being able to put up a good fight....she may have had other ailments going on also.

Tony Snow
    Yeah, Tony Snow seemed like a great family man, and it really hurt when he lost his fight.

Gail
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I play 'Santa Baby'...
    All during Christmas...

Sad. A great lady. Didn't know she was a semi-colon. Wish she could have come to Nashville.

Hugs, Kathi