Bowel Prep

Options
claud1951
claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello all,

What kind of bowl prep do you use? I was using the Phospho-Soda®Products and found out that they have recalled it due to causing kidney failure problems. Geessh. That is what I used last year and the year before.

Before I have my colonoscopy I'd like to go to the doctor with ideas! Yes, he does have the prep he likes, too, but I figure it can't hurt if I talk to him about others.

It maybe that Half Lytely & Bisacodyl Tablets will be it but thought I'd ask all of you.

This is my 2nd check up since I stopped chemo in Oct of 2007. I'm not expecting any problems, either! (and hope to still be NED)

Thanks, in advance, for your answers!

Claudia

Comments

• mc1717
    mc1717 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Time for another cleansing
    I have had to be "cleaned out" twice and the first time I was told to use the Fleets Phospho. It cleaned me out as needed but the second dose made me throw up. No warning, just out it came. The second time I said I did not want to use the Fleets Phospho so the Dr gave me instructions for "Citrate of Magnesium". Three bottles of it over 6 hours. It wasn't bad at all. Basically it tasted like lemon water. Did not have any problems and it worked ok. I am going to have to get cleaned out again on Monday 12/29 for my surgery on Tuesday and the surgeon wanted me to use the Fleets Phospho. i said I would rather use the Citrate of Magnisium. Dr said that would be ok.
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Miralax
    Hi there,

Not sure if I am spelling it correctly but for the last few times I had to clean myself out, I used Miralax and it worked great. Just added it to some gatorade(sp), sorry I really suck at spelling..LOL

Ask your doc or the nice person at the pharmacy.

God Bless
    Beth
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    bowel prep
    I used the fleets the first two times, ICK! The pills the next two times, much easier! This last go round was with Miralax mixed in Gatorade and yes, that was easy enough, although it gets hard to get ANYTHING down after consuming so much! It all stayed down, wasn't too nasty, and did the job!
    mary
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    dorookie said:

Miralax
    Hi there,

Not sure if I am spelling it correctly but for the last few times I had to clean myself out, I used Miralax and it worked great. Just added it to some gatorade(sp), sorry I really suck at spelling..LOL

Ask your doc or the nice person at the pharmacy.

God Bless
    Beth

I vote for Miralax
    I've taken Miralax three times and it's a whole lot better than the phospho-soda, which I took pre-surgery. I had several choices of Gatorade to mix the Miralax with. It's completely tasteless. I had heard horror stories of the prep, which is why I put off my first colonoscopy until I was 56. That was when my cc was found. Too bad I hadn't heard about Miralax when I turned 50.
    Joy
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Miralax
    Miralax gets my vote, too. Not as violent as the pills, not as difficult as series of enemas (which really don't get way up there, either.) It's all difficult in one way or another, but much easier than another 12 rounds of chemo!!!!

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I did the half lytly and
    I did the half lytly and didn't get cramps or anything, but every glass full sent me right to the bathroom. Mirilax and fleet didn't work until the middle of the night and I started at 1 in the afternoon, and never truly got clean. Medi prep worked good too.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'm calling the doctor today!

Claudia
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    claud1951 said:

Thank you all
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'm calling the doctor today!

Claudia

yuck
    Sorry to be so late in replying. I'm jealous of all the other solutions people can use. I don't clean out well, so I have to use Golytely. Fun!

Gail
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator