CEA Level - Over 5,000

Options
jcavanaugh
jcavanaugh Member Posts: 100
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am in shock. Last year at this time, my dad's cea was around 35. Now, it is over 5,000. Has anyone had a cea this high. It started to climb in June. He was going to switch treatments then he got penmonia so we could not start treatment till almost October. So, he was not on treatment for almost two months. He is currently on avastin and xeolda. He will add oxiplatin tomorrow. I need any advice. I believe this is the end. This has been a 7 year struggle with stage IV cancer. I cannot complain since we have been given multiple second chances. I do not think we will see another one.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Comments

• steven12
    steven12 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    CEA level
    Hello Jennifer,
    You don't need to be so desperate. I don't think that the CEA level proportionally shows the size of the tumor or the spread of cancer. My CEA level was 50 before the surgery when they took out a tennis ball size tumor. Three years later, one and half years ago, I had a recurrence and while that was investigated the CEA level went up to more then 300. However, the CT and PET scans showed only barely detectable sites of malignancy. This is what I am fighting now with periodical chemotherapy. I think even that level of CEA, what you mentioned, can be lowered to normal with longer chemo. All the best to you, your Dad and everybody here,
    Steven