Options
13»

Comments

• lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Chellebug said:

Did he say it was lymphedema?
    I had a sentinel node dissection on my left side (4 nodes removed) and have not had any lymphadema issues with that side. It is possible that you are not experiencing lymphadema, but possibly something else.

There could be a seroma (pocket of fluid build up)...those can be quite painful and certainly cause swelling to the area. I developed one in my armpit after my initial lumpectomy on my left and it took months to go away.

It could be a blood clot. My friend developed that after her port was removed. She had swelling down her arm and in her neck, along with discoloration of her arm. She had to give herself daily injections to thin her blood. Eventually it resolved.

If you've not had any improvement with the antibiotics, you might want to check back with your doctor (surgeon, preferably).

The good news is that seromas, blood clots and lymphadema can be treated. The better news is that seromas and blood clots go away with proper treatment. Lymphadema, on the other hand, needs to be managed.

I hope you feel better soon and get the treatment you need.
    Chelle

Chelle
    Hi, I've missed you and wondered how you are doing. It made me smile to see "Chellebug!" U can tell I am having a good day when little things can please me once again.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Chellebug said:

I had a sentinel node dissection on my left side (4 nodes removed) and have not had any lymphadema issues with that side. It is possible that you are not experiencing lymphadema, but possibly something else.

There could be a seroma (pocket of fluid build up)...those can be quite painful and certainly cause swelling to the area. I developed one in my armpit after my initial lumpectomy on my left and it took months to go away.

It could be a blood clot. My friend developed that after her port was removed. She had swelling down her arm and in her neck, along with discoloration of her arm. She had to give herself daily injections to thin her blood. Eventually it resolved.

If you've not had any improvement with the antibiotics, you might want to check back with your doctor (surgeon, preferably).

The good news is that seromas, blood clots and lymphadema can be treated. The better news is that seromas and blood clots go away with proper treatment. Lymphadema, on the other hand, needs to be managed.

Chelle

Chelle
    Hi, I've missed you and wondered how you are doing. It made me smile to see "Chellebug!" U can tell I am having a good day when little things can please me once again.
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Chelle

Hanging in there!
    Hi Lynn,

I'm hanging in there! It's a busy time....not that I'm accomplishing much. LOL!! I didn't get my mile in tonight. Only made it 18 laps...got pretty tired and had to stop. But at least I got to swim.

One of my sisters used to call me Chellebug when I was a kid. My full name is Michelle, but I miss being called Chellebug so I decided to use it on these boards. Makes me feel young again. :)

I've been reading all the posts and getting encouragement from everyone, including you! And I'm so happy to hear you're having a GOOD DAY!! Yahoo!

Blessings,
    Chelle
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Chellebug said:

Chelle

Chellebug
    It turned out to be a blood clot in the port. When I went for my second chemo Monday they could not get it to draw. That vein is now useless. I had surgery yesterday to get the port removed and a new port put in on the otherside. I hope they can tell me today how I can keep that from happening again. Today I get second chemo. I hope this port works like it is suppose to.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    KathiM said:

hummm, does hot MINERAL water and mud count????
    ROFL!!! TOO late!!!

I must say, that when my private Turk (mmmmm...big, strong, and swarthy) was giving me a bath...and scrubbing me down, I was sure that he wasn't too rough on THAT arm...

Hugs, Kathi

I'm sure your arm was the
    I'm sure your arm was the first and foremost thing on your mind???LOL
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    bumping up because it seems
    bumping up because it seems to have a lot of good info.