Ridiculous worry

Options
Joycelouise
Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This is SUCH a little thing...but, since I am still sitting home with this dang drain in place after implant expander surgery and must be going off the deep end, it really bothers me. I got a notice in the mail today of an appointment scheduled for me by my onc. in February. She seemed to initiate this. I haven't had any tests lately that could result in "news", unless...unless...maybe they take tissue samples during the implant surgery and test them for cancer cells! Look how good I am at worrying. Don't these doctors know this? Is it just me, or would any of you freak a little if you got a computerized notification of a new, undiscussed apt. with your onc?
Well, if it is only one person (me) who doesn't think this is how it should be done, my doctor is still going to be educated by that one. We may not have much control, but whatever I do have, I want to keep. I have a call into her office to ask about it. Of course, she is out.
This little episode sure shows me how eggshell my life is, even though it has gotten so much better! Thanks for listening, Joyce

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Joyce, I know you must be
    Joyce, I know you must be worried, and I really think that the doctor's office was insensitive in not calling you personally to schedule the appointment, but it is most probably your 3 month checkup so I wouldn't worry about it. Believe me if it was anything to do with your recent surgery, your plastic would be calling you and not the oncologist. In the meantime, wait for their call but please don't obsess. Happy Hanukkah. Hugs, Lili
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

Joyce, I know you must be
    Joyce, I know you must be worried, and I really think that the doctor's office was insensitive in not calling you personally to schedule the appointment, but it is most probably your 3 month checkup so I wouldn't worry about it. Believe me if it was anything to do with your recent surgery, your plastic would be calling you and not the oncologist. In the meantime, wait for their call but please don't obsess. Happy Hanukkah. Hugs, Lili

Joyce
    What Lili said.... and

Don't these so called "Experts in their Field" have any clue about the FEELINGS of their patients (Victims)? It must be something about oncologists, Mine is a Nightmare, no understanding of the emotions involved and examines me like a dead cow! "Yes you are going to lose you hair, Get a wig!" Real caring eh? Try to stop worrying over the holidays (Yes I know easier said than done) But give her HELL when she eventually deigns to answer your calls...remember you are paying her! lol

Hugs and healing thoughts headed your way. Take care Julia
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    Options
    No worries
    I agree with Lili. It's most likely your 3 month follow-up. If it had anything to do with your recent surgery, I don't think they'd wait until February to see you.

I hope you get the drains out soon!!!
    Chelle
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Joyce, dearheart...breathe!!!!
    It could be there is some new-fangled thing that she wants to see if you want to participate in...I agree with everyone, if it was something sinister, well, she wouldn't be waiting....

BUT, if you are like me, call her and ask....tell her (I ALWAYS open with this...) "I KNOW it's just 'canceritis', but I'm sort of wigging over the nature of the appointment in February...can you help me out? Some people don't want to know...so they (the oncologists) just operate on 'minimal info' unless asked. I remember when my onc stopped the tumor marker as part of my blood tests...I called, and she got on chuckling...she said "I should have know better than to do that without explaining it to you when you were in here..."

Hugs, Kathi
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi Joyce
    I agree with Lili

Hi Joyce

I agree with Lili if anything showed up it would be your plastic surgeon that would notify you. I don't think the onc would wait that long either.

After my surgery (reconstruction/reduction) my plastic surgeon told me that everything that was removed was checked for cancer. (it was ok) I didn't know they did that but I was so glad that they did.

Try to relax and have a great Christmas.

Jadie
  • ninjamom
    ninjamom Member Posts: 142
    Options
    Joyce
    I also received my

Joyce

I also received my little appt card in the mail, one for January and one for
    February. I believe their assistants were making appts. in advance to make sure we have priority over new patients (?) as far as first appts. Does this make sense or is my head still in the clouds??? anyway, try not to stress and focus on your recovery now.

Patty
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    ninjamom said:

Joyce
    I also received my

Joyce

I also received my little appt card in the mail, one for January and one for
    February. I believe their assistants were making appts. in advance to make sure we have priority over new patients (?) as far as first appts. Does this make sense or is my head still in the clouds??? anyway, try not to stress and focus on your recovery now.

Patty

Autopilot appointments
    Hi Joyce,

My semi-educated guess is that Kaiser automatically sets up appt's at specific intervals after surgery and treatment.

And everyone is right, if it were something really important, the plastic surg. would be calling, not mailing you an appointment to see the onc.

Now, pin your drain to your shirt and do a lap around the backyard, or short block, or even living room, with some loud marching music in your ear, and take some big cleansing breaths!
    Then call the doc's office and tell them to knock off the scary notice stuff, because Halloween has passed!

Hugs,
    Jan
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    KathiM said:

Joyce, dearheart...breathe!!!!
    It could be there is some new-fangled thing that she wants to see if you want to participate in...I agree with everyone, if it was something sinister, well, she wouldn't be waiting....

BUT, if you are like me, call her and ask....tell her (I ALWAYS open with this...) "I KNOW it's just 'canceritis', but I'm sort of wigging over the nature of the appointment in February...can you help me out? Some people don't want to know...so they (the oncologists) just operate on 'minimal info' unless asked. I remember when my onc stopped the tumor marker as part of my blood tests...I called, and she got on chuckling...she said "I should have know better than to do that without explaining it to you when you were in here..."

Hugs, Kathi

Picture
    Hey Kathi,

GREAT PICTURE! Is that what everyone gets to wear after a mud bath? Quick, tell me again where it was, I'm booking a flight as I type!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    NorcalJ said:

Picture
    Hey Kathi,

GREAT PICTURE! Is that what everyone gets to wear after a mud bath? Quick, tell me again where it was, I'm booking a flight as I type!

Actually, it was after the turkish bath, with a real turk!!!
    Tee Hee...Thank you, my dear!

Honestly, it's just that I have such a good photographer...lol!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Follow-up apt.
    Joyce, I can relate to the worry. Don't be critical of yourself because of it. Since the apt. is not till Feb. it is probably a follow-up. I'm thinking that if they found something as a result of the surgery, they certainly would not wait till Feb. to share it with you.

Be calm and let yourself enjoy the holidays. You deserveit.
  • kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Grrrr
    Agree with all the ladies, Joyce. It couldn't possibly be anything serious if they're waiting till Feb/sending a letter. Just good, old-fashioned insensitivity . . . like Christmas fruit cake, it never seems to go out of style or be taken off the market. . .

Hope you're feeling well. Been thinking of you -- sending you some of that swirling sitar music again since you're probably on some good painkillers . . .

Love,
    Ravi
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    kbc4869 said:

Grrrr
    Agree with all the ladies, Joyce. It couldn't possibly be anything serious if they're waiting till Feb/sending a letter. Just good, old-fashioned insensitivity . . . like Christmas fruit cake, it never seems to go out of style or be taken off the market. . .

Hope you're feeling well. Been thinking of you -- sending you some of that swirling sitar music again since you're probably on some good painkillers . . .

Love,
    Ravi

Don't worry!
    Yes, I am sure this is one of those automated appointments that are completely routine. Otherwise you would get a personal phone call and an appointment before February. I would call for your own peace of mind, though -- so you don't have this bothering you needlessly. Worry is the worst thing ever!
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Yes, they called back, and
    Yes, they called back, and yes, it is a routine appt. Thanks to all of you for understanding. Actually, I think I got angry because I could feel an emotion coming on and I just didn't want it to be fear!
    I look and act fairly normal these days but I have some freaky parts. Like if I am reading a book and even a small, supporting character gets cancer, I toss the book immediately. I wish the books had a rating system (May contain c word) so I don't waste time and money on them till I find out!
    Have wonderful days today as you prepare for the holiday. (Or keep them candles burning, O'hilly and NorCal!)
    love, Joyce
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

Yes, they called back, and yes, it is a routine appt. Thanks to all of you for understanding. Actually, I think I got angry because I could feel an emotion coming on and I just didn't want it to be fear!
    I look and act fairly normal these days but I have some freaky parts. Like if I am reading a book and even a small, supporting character gets cancer, I toss the book immediately. I wish the books had a rating system (May contain c word) so I don't waste time and money on them till I find out!
    Have wonderful days today as you prepare for the holiday. (Or keep them candles burning, O'hilly and NorCal!)
    love, Joyce

Fantastic!
    I knew it! I think having those "freaky parts" is entirely normal. I used to love angsty dramas and end-of-world suspense thrillers. Now I take them way too seriously. It's all comedies for me.

Hope everyone has a great holiday. I am trying to do something more than sit on the couch and feel sorry for myself.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

love, Joyce

Appointments
    Joyce,

Of course you throw the book out if any of the characters has cancer~ why do I know this? Because I do too!!! I don't care if it is the latest John Kellerman or James Patterson bestseller; seems to me, no one comes out alive if the dx is cancer. I don't need it, even if it is "just a story". Ditto TV movies and DVDs ~ NO CANCER, thank you very much!!!!
    I remember being educated about movies and dramas in general~ nothing happens by coincidence. If a character coughs~ TB or lung cancer is on its way, and the demise of that character is close at hand. I say; Who needs it? Not I~ thats for sure!

Onco docs~ I could write a book! I do believe that after almost 6 years, mine doesn't know my name or anything about me. Seems I am always starting from square one, almost having to explain why I am even at his office! He only notices the 15 pounds I have gained in those 6 years, and tells me I am not working hard enough to lose it. He is not impressed that I did the 1/2 marathon, that I walk 6 miles 3X a week, nothing I do gets more than a cursory nod. I have gone so far as to take a diuretic the night before my appointment so that I lose water weight before I step on his scale! This is the same guy who wouldn't let me get my port removed for a YEAR post chemo~ and he wanted me to never remove it,"just in case". Feeling the warm fuzzies, anyone??? LOL LOL

So, now that I have deftly made your post all about ME~ relax, enjoy the season, and know we are all in each others shoes!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

love, Joyce

Joyce, I found that reading
    Joyce, I found that reading Janet Evanovich books kept me sane during this bad trip none of us wanted to take. Hugs, Lili
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Eggshells are pretty tough.
    Eggshells are pretty tough. They support the weight of that big fat hen! I saw this on a nature show. I think they have done experiments on how much weight an eggshell can really stand. Your life might seem fragile but it's stronger than you think! Or maybe that should be You are stronger than you think.