How to make sense of the test?

Options
Karmar
Karmar Member Posts: 42
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey everyone,

I just had 2 test done on friday. A complete songrahm of all my organs and a barium swallow afterwards. I did not fet to see the screen for the sono and had 2 techs. When they were near my liver and Kidney the tech pointed out things to the training tech-Like doyou see that but did not say a word. My sono took 2 1/2 hoirs. Next came the barium-I got to see that one but was to afraid to ask any questions. One x ray of the large colon near the Acending colon it was huge-totally out oof proprtion to the entire rest of the area. The tech quickly turned the screen. So now I wait for Doc to call with the results and on the 29th I go for my colonoscopy. For a person who hated taking pills of anykind-Even asprin-rather deal with the pain I am now on 10 pills aday. Still no energy,Just glad I woke up this morning. Waiting is the hardest part.
Merry Christmas
Karen

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    A little more info, please!
    Karen, are you in the process of discovery? Have you been having problems and the scans are in response to that? I pray that your wait is short. Personally, I NEVER look at the techs when they are watching my scans! I will wait for the professional interpretation, thank you very much! And I remember a CT done on my abdomen when it was growing from what was found out later to be a very large tumor. The tech kept asking me if I was sure there was no way I was pregnant. I knew that wasn't good, but chose not to worry until the doc interpreted and I discussed the results with my oncologist. Be strong and I will pray for you.
    mary
  • Karmar
    Options
    msccolon said:

A little more info, please!
    Karen, are you in the process of discovery? Have you been having problems and the scans are in response to that? I pray that your wait is short. Personally, I NEVER look at the techs when they are watching my scans! I will wait for the professional interpretation, thank you very much! And I remember a CT done on my abdomen when it was growing from what was found out later to be a very large tumor. The tech kept asking me if I was sure there was no way I was pregnant. I knew that wasn't good, but chose not to worry until the doc interpreted and I discussed the results with my oncologist. Be strong and I will pray for you.
    mary

Yes and still waiting
    Mary,

Yes I am on the road of Discovery. Have been very Ill since september. On 10 pills a day till we find the cause. MY GP says I could have many diffrent things going on. Now my newest battle is arthritist-HAd it since I was 12 but now it is in my hip so I click when I walk and end up in pain. as well as the right side pain that the GI doc is worried about cause it is my liver that is very tender.Family history of colon cancer-Father and aunt and cousin(my cousin at 42 dx stage 4 with liver and Lung involved) Siter and son with Chrohns and 1 sister and 2 brothers have already had pre cancer polyps removed. To date everything my Father had in his life time I have devoleped as well-We both had our appendix ou,gallbladder removed,Hernias in same spots and Thyroid problems. My father Passed away some years ago due to complications with a blockage in is neck,Made worse by the chemo. I am the type I want to know everything-since my husband devoleped Kidney cancer 2 years ago-I read many of his reports to help him make sence of it all. So I reserch alot. That is why the xray startled me a little-you could definatly see the ascending colon was quiet enlarged compared to the rest of the colon. I will get answeres on the 29th with the colonoscopy. Then maybe we will know whay is wrong with me. The not knowing is the wrost. As if I do any activaties I am in great pain the next day and unable to move. Even with the pain killers. I just want part of my life back.
    Karen
  • msccolon
    Options
    Karmar said:

Yes and still waiting
    Mary,

Yes I am on the road of Discovery. Have been very Ill since september. On 10 pills a day till we find the cause. MY GP says I could have many diffrent things going on. Now my newest battle is arthritist-HAd it since I was 12 but now it is in my hip so I click when I walk and end up in pain. as well as the right side pain that the GI doc is worried about cause it is my liver that is very tender.Family history of colon cancer-Father and aunt and cousin(my cousin at 42 dx stage 4 with liver and Lung involved) Siter and son with Chrohns and 1 sister and 2 brothers have already had pre cancer polyps removed. To date everything my Father had in his life time I have devoleped as well-We both had our appendix ou,gallbladder removed,Hernias in same spots and Thyroid problems. My father Passed away some years ago due to complications with a blockage in is neck,Made worse by the chemo. I am the type I want to know everything-since my husband devoleped Kidney cancer 2 years ago-I read many of his reports to help him make sence of it all. So I reserch alot. That is why the xray startled me a little-you could definatly see the ascending colon was quiet enlarged compared to the rest of the colon. I will get answeres on the 29th with the colonoscopy. Then maybe we will know whay is wrong with me. The not knowing is the wrost. As if I do any activaties I am in great pain the next day and unable to move. Even with the pain killers. I just want part of my life back.
    Karen

Sounds like you are really dealing with it!
    Sounds like with your history, it's a good thing you are keeping on top of this. I will just pray for good results on the 29th so they can get you to a place where you are more comfortable.
    mary
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Techs can be wierd....
    One of my PET's tech showed me everything...including the lump in my breast that lit up (the PET was for the rectal cancer)...he was the first to 'tell' me it was cancer...but, belive it or not, held me while I cried, said it could be anything, even an infection, and gave me copies of the scan then and there...

Another PET tech showed me nothing, said nothing to me, and nothing lit up (this was after treatment for the rectal, before the breast was 'official').

Techs are not supposed to share with patients. They can get into BIG trouble. I was grateful to the first young man, it made me persue the BC possibility, even though the other scans found nothing.

I'm sorry they picked YOU for a 'teaching' exercise...but, it could be, that that is all it was...I had a digital X-Ray during a bowel obstruction where the student was asking inappropriate questions...right in front of ME...I asked them to leave the room for those questions...'the patient is right here!'...sigh, so much for teaching hospitals...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Karmar
    Options
    KathiM said:

Techs can be wierd....
    One of my PET's tech showed me everything...including the lump in my breast that lit up (the PET was for the rectal cancer)...he was the first to 'tell' me it was cancer...but, belive it or not, held me while I cried, said it could be anything, even an infection, and gave me copies of the scan then and there...

Another PET tech showed me nothing, said nothing to me, and nothing lit up (this was after treatment for the rectal, before the breast was 'official').

Techs are not supposed to share with patients. They can get into BIG trouble. I was grateful to the first young man, it made me persue the BC possibility, even though the other scans found nothing.

I'm sorry they picked YOU for a 'teaching' exercise...but, it could be, that that is all it was...I had a digital X-Ray during a bowel obstruction where the student was asking inappropriate questions...right in front of ME...I asked them to leave the room for those questions...'the patient is right here!'...sigh, so much for teaching hospitals...

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi
    The techs were not weird and very kind through the whole process. The young training girl made me feel very comfortable. I did not have a problem with the techs just what I was seeing. And I have been told it can take up to 2 weeks for all the results. My colonoscopy is set for the 29th and that they will know right away. I am suppose to have a Hyster-in january but as I am self pay we decided to hold off as I have lived with the Hyster problem most of my life. I just want the other pain to go away-Instead of once a month pain-witch I still get -I am in constant pain. And Looking at the Intestines I should have asked why the Acending colon was three times larger than the rest. But was to scared to know at the time and all I wanted to do was go home. I got there at 8am and finished at 2 that afternoon-No coffee or water. Just want an answere of why out of the clear blue this is happening. I know in time they will figure it all out-
    Karen
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Karmar said:

Kathi
    The techs were not weird and very kind through the whole process. The young training girl made me feel very comfortable. I did not have a problem with the techs just what I was seeing. And I have been told it can take up to 2 weeks for all the results. My colonoscopy is set for the 29th and that they will know right away. I am suppose to have a Hyster-in january but as I am self pay we decided to hold off as I have lived with the Hyster problem most of my life. I just want the other pain to go away-Instead of once a month pain-witch I still get -I am in constant pain. And Looking at the Intestines I should have asked why the Acending colon was three times larger than the rest. But was to scared to know at the time and all I wanted to do was go home. I got there at 8am and finished at 2 that afternoon-No coffee or water. Just want an answere of why out of the clear blue this is happening. I know in time they will figure it all out-
    Karen

I'm glad you got good treatment....
    I'm sorry you are still in pain. And had to go 'without' for so long.

Now, from Suzy Sunshine....could be the swelling is from colitis. Not good, but not cancer, either...

I didn't like participating in my scans, etc...except the one that my gastric surgeon did...the screen was right in front of me (it was a sygmoidoscopy), so I started getting involved...I asked so many questions. After the proceedure, my normally straight-faced gastric guy was smiling. He said "You know, Kathi, this is the first time in my entire career that I have had to give a guided tour with this scope!".

I am a computer geek, not a doctor. And, for some reason, ANYTHING that happens to my own body freaks me out...so I don't want to see (even in childbirth, I had them move the mirror...lol!).

Hugs, Kathi
  • msccolon
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm glad you got good treatment....
    I'm sorry you are still in pain. And had to go 'without' for so long.

Now, from Suzy Sunshine....could be the swelling is from colitis. Not good, but not cancer, either...

I didn't like participating in my scans, etc...except the one that my gastric surgeon did...the screen was right in front of me (it was a sygmoidoscopy), so I started getting involved...I asked so many questions. After the proceedure, my normally straight-faced gastric guy was smiling. He said "You know, Kathi, this is the first time in my entire career that I have had to give a guided tour with this scope!".

I am a computer geek, not a doctor. And, for some reason, ANYTHING that happens to my own body freaks me out...so I don't want to see (even in childbirth, I had them move the mirror...lol!).

Hugs, Kathi

too funny!
    I have always been out during my colonoscopies, and they are polite enough to never mention anything i say while under! I can't imagine that I DON'T blather on if I'm able to actually see the screen, I tend to be very interested in such stuff! My daughter cracked me up while she was giving birth. She did a water birth and as she's pushing, when the baby finally crowned, the midwife brought out a mirror to show the baby's head to Jess and her husband. Jess' response? I don't want to see that! She even removed her glasses during the after birth portion of the birth so she couldn't possibly see any of that stuff going on! Too funny! I remember during my first birth, heading down the corridor towards the delivery room on my gurney and during a contraction I could see the baby's head and I said Oh, look, the baby's head! Needless to say the doc moved double time to get me in the delivery room after that!
    mary