back in the hospital

Options
krystiesq
krystiesq Member Posts: 240 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
So, after round two of folfiri, my mom is back in the hospital. Her potassium levels were critical and her heart rate was way too high so they admitted her. She was too dehydrated. Today she has a fever and diarreah, so not sure if she will come home or not yet. I wish I could get her on a better schedule with fluids and eating. She just doesn't want anything after chemo despite my making what every I can think to get in her.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Time for the talk....lol....
    I did EXACTLY the same thing, with EXACTLY the same results...hospital for hydration!!! (Got a roommate that was a street morphine addict that they were only allowing Tylenol to, but that's a whole other story....).

I remember my daughter's living coach encouraging ME to take ONE spoonful of soup...and I refused...

After my scare, I started to figure out things to eat. I would take one ounce (!) of Boost at a time. Or melted ice cream. MMMMMMM, my fav turned out to be scalloped potatoes, of all things...

It's time for the talk with mom about taking care of herself. She MUST!!!! eat!!!! "I LOVE you, mom...you need to start eating!!!!"

I'm wrapping my arms around you, dearheart...you have the toughest job...

Hugs, Kathi
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    bummer!
    Kristi, I am so sorry to hear that your mother is in the hospital. I am certain she will be feeling SO much better with the fluids and meds to stop the diarrhea. I agree with Kathi, she needs to understand the importance of eating SOMETHING, even if it's liquid calories. I remember nothing tasting good, and hating the fact that it was going to be rushing to exit not too long after eating it, but I also knew the nutrition that WAS absorbed was essential, so I ate (and very efficiently, thank you very much!). I am still praying for the both of you.
    mary
  • krystiesq
    krystiesq Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    msccolon said:

bummer!
    Kristi, I am so sorry to hear that your mother is in the hospital. I am certain she will be feeling SO much better with the fluids and meds to stop the diarrhea. I agree with Kathi, she needs to understand the importance of eating SOMETHING, even if it's liquid calories. I remember nothing tasting good, and hating the fact that it was going to be rushing to exit not too long after eating it, but I also knew the nutrition that WAS absorbed was essential, so I ate (and very efficiently, thank you very much!). I am still praying for the both of you.
    mary

your pictures
    They are so freaking cute!!! I'm happy to report that my mom has been discharged and is on her way home. I'm taking the advice and will have a sit down discussion with her. I am also buying her a juicer for xmas and am going to be making her some greenpower for next time.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    krystiesq said:

your pictures
    They are so freaking cute!!! I'm happy to report that my mom has been discharged and is on her way home. I'm taking the advice and will have a sit down discussion with her. I am also buying her a juicer for xmas and am going to be making her some greenpower for next time.

Thank you!
    I am the cliche grandmother who whips out a photo album every time anybody even sounds like they MIGHT be asking about my grand child! :). You might want to start with fruity juicing with a BIT of greens initially; they are really hard to take and if she's not got much of an appetite she won't be happy about drinking something that tastes the way lawn cuttings smell! You can increase the greens as she gets used to the taste/process of juicing.
    mary
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your mom got out of
    I'm glad your mom got out of the hospital. I hope your talk goes well, and that the two of you can work out something that will be tasty to her. She does need to eat!

*hugs*
    Gail