Plastic splurgery?

Joycelouise
Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okey-doke. Here is the down and dirty on my recon. If any of you are reading this and considering having one, please know that I am a big drama queen (make adjustments if you are a calmer person). I will try to write the things that I wanted to know ahead of time.
1) The doctor has to take some naked before and after shots. This feels a little wierd. This is a good time for a sense of humor. The pictures do not include your face, so stick your tongue out at your doctor! It will keep you from feeling like a centerfold.
2) The surgery hurts like heck! I wanted to keep that a secret from you all. But, after three days, almost all the pain is manageable though I move slowly and carefully. And I am already forgetting the original ouchies. That's just the way it is. But do plan to have someone around. Because they are messing with the chest muscles, any torso movement ranges from tender to downright impossible.
3) I have one drain, and no big steri-strip gash. I haven't really looked too closely to keep drama queen from getting grossed out.
4) The doc. put a little bit of fill in the expander during surgery. I have a speed bump boob already and it seems that he is expanding up high, from the top down as it were. I know for a fact that looking normal in clothes is going to be tough for a while. I am sure every sock in my drawer, from bobby socks to knee socks, will spend some time in my bra along this sourney.
5) I do feel a little silly. I mean the surgery is serious stuff, and is wanting to have two matching breasts really that serious a need? No, but so what. I think we just need to face this inconsistancy and move on. If we want it..so be it. And given all the tough times in my life I am not in the mood to beat myself up about anything. I just want to mention this one aspect in case you are worried about his too.

I hope this helped answer any questions. If you have others, please let me know and I will do my best to fill you in as I get filled in. For the record, I am having recon after mas., chemo, and rads. (6 months ago).
Your faithful correspondant, reporting from the front, Joyce

Comments

• NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Hey Joyce!

Actually, you haven't made me reconsider reconstruction, or scared me, but I really appreciate the day by day update. Since I'm a bit (understatement) of a control freak, I need to know exactly what will happen. The Dr.'s sugar coat it and leave out the details. Besides, they've never gone thru it---so they can only tell you what others say---or not tell you if they think it's too much.

My rad doc said I'd have "significant burning" by the time I finished. Knowing Dr.'s who tell you something will hurt a little and that it means (as Betty Davis said)"hang on we're in for a bumpy ride" I wasn't surprised by my last 3 days of rads when I was deep, deep, red! Amazingly it wasn't as tender as it looked.

I thought I had to wait a year from my last rad for reconst. but you said 6 months---something else to nag my doc's about!

Are you able to work, or should I say, how much time are you needing to take off for the initial surg. and recon?

And if they take pictures before, can I wear one pasty with a tassel? I'd hate for it to be just another boring boob!

Anyway, thanks again for the info. Please keep the updates coming--very helpful!
    Hugs,
    Jan
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Not a splurge
    Joyce, I am so glad you are able to type at least and that everything went well. I know you will be uncomfortable but I think it will be worth it. Remember, that soon you will not need to fill in with your socks. (PS I remember doing that as a kid to see how I would look like with boobs ROFL). Those were the days. The pain will lessen as the days go by, just remember to do everything in slow motion for now. And yes you do need help at least for a full week, after that you take it a day at a time. I'm happy you posted and keep us up to date. Love, Lili
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    JOYCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    I am so happy to see you in here, you have been on my mind since the day you went in. Thanks for all the information, it was nice of you to do that!

Be kind to yourself my friend and don't over do. There is nothing unreasonable about wanting a breast back, I know I sure do.....shucks I really miss my cleavage!

Congrats on the speed bump, can hardly till you are sporting a cleavage you are proud of!

My best to you and a GREAT BIG GIANT HUG!!!!!!!!!!

RE
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    RE said:

JOYCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    I am so happy to see you in here, you have been on my mind since the day you went in. Thanks for all the information, it was nice of you to do that!

Be kind to yourself my friend and don't over do. There is nothing unreasonable about wanting a breast back, I know I sure do.....shucks I really miss my cleavage!

Congrats on the speed bump, can hardly till you are sporting a cleavage you are proud of!

My best to you and a GREAT BIG GIANT HUG!!!!!!!!!!

RE

After my mas. when people
    After my mas. when people asked me how I was feeling I used to joke, I feel like $999,999.00, one boob short of a million bucks! Well you guys make me feel like the full million - with or without. Thank you for all the warmth and hugs! Love and thanks, Joyce
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949

After my mas. when people
    After my mas. when people asked me how I was feeling I used to joke, I feel like $999,999.00, one boob short of a million bucks! Well you guys make me feel like the full million - with or without. Thank you for all the warmth and hugs! Love and thanks, Joyce

Glad you are ok
    Joyce, I am soooo glad that things went smoothly and you are doing well. You only live once, and I believe that you should have 2 boobs if that will make you happy. You are entitled to have what you were born with and cancer took away. You are in my thoughts. As RE said, try not to overdo and let others help. Keep us updated, ok? Eil
  • kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    yes, it's worth it
    Joyce --

You are utterly fabulous to start with. But with boobs, you -- my friend -- will be utterly DANGEROUS.

Be well. I love you to pieces.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    As usual Joyce, you crack me
    As usual Joyce, you crack me up :) You certainly haven't lost your sense of humour and that's wonderful. So glad you have finally got it done and I know you'll be pleased and all the pain will be worth it. Yes please keep us posted and be tender with yourself as if you have a choice.
    jan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Filling us in, from the front.....
    I am laughing soooooo hard!!!!

I am sorry you are having pain at all. But, as you know, this, too, will pass.

Hugs, Kathi

(I had cosmetic surgery 21 years ago. Silicone implants above the muscle. I have NEVER regretted the decision. I look in the mirror, even now, with the scars from the lumpectomy and node removal, and can still see a 'perky' pair).
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    dear Front Line
    Hi Joyce! So glad to hear the surgery is behind you. Isn't it wierd to see yourself going through puberty again...training bra to a full cup? I had the expanders put in at the time of my double mas in June. Obviously I don't know what was pain related to the mas or pain from the expanders. The weekly fills also had their own levels of discomfort. I suggest taking some Tylenol before you go. Turns out I needed to have radiation. No damage done other than to my level of patience in that I now have to wait what seems an eternity to get the implants. The healing time from the rads I'm hearing is appx 1 month for every week of radiation. So I have boobs but they feel more like cannon balls. Once you get back to your yoga, you'll see a different range of motion again. Laying on my stomach is a memory of days gone by. Enjoy your work in progress and your new creations. Like the front line soldiers, you know this is not a drill, it's the real thing!