Hair hassles

knarrly
knarrly Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My hair started falling out last Thursday. It all happened so fast, and a lot was coming out. Like many on here, I ended up shaving it all off (on Tuesday.) Unfortunately, my insurance company is being a pain in the butt. They told me I could not get a wig unless my PCP preauthorized it...they would not accept the oncologist doing this. So, I put aside my prescription, and called my regular OB/GYN (who counts as a woman's PCP on my quirky insurance) and they called for preauthorization. Well, the insurance is not cooperating!! They are so annoying. Thank goodness there was a receptionist there who has family members who have cancer...she pointed to a salon in town that has American Cancer Society volunteers, and they are getting me a wig for free. I also ordered some hats, headwraps, and scarves from an online store, and they just arrived today. I even got a headwrap with teal ribbons. :) I was so happy with my order that I ordered some other items.

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Wigs
    I order my wigs from the internet and find them less bulky that the one I first got from the cancer center shop. I googled wigs and got several names and found some good looking ones from one for $34 to $56 that I have had lots of compliments from. I get the shortest most light weight ones and though I long to try a longer one for fun, the shorter ones are cooler in the summer. These are not real hair but washable and go back to their shape and curl. Less that going to the beauty shop for a haircut and style in my town.
    It does end. I am going to get my first trim next week with the hair growing back and have already started the mascara! Saundra
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    After I started chemo, my
    After I started chemo, my long hair started coming loose, and the final straw was when I retrieved a strand from the spaghetti sauce! I went upstairs, stood in the bathtub, and cut it off, then shaved it. I took most of it outside in the spring and left it for birds to use for nests (never did see a blond abode!).

I went to a local wig store before I went for chemo the first time, and was able to find a good artificial wig in the perfect hair color for $45. I know they're out there!

For around the house, I made some berets using a free pattern that I got from the Nancy's Notions site (www.nancysnotions.com - look for Gail Brown's Creative Kindness Beret after clicking on Creative Kindness at the bottom of the page). It's really easy to make, and is wonderful to use fleece for. If you don't sew, maybe a friend could whip a few up for you. I wore them day and night in our house; we had a record-setting snow year while I was in treatment. I especially liked them because they weren't as clingy as the knit caps I tried.
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member

After I started chemo, my
    After I started chemo, my long hair started coming loose, and the final straw was when I retrieved a strand from the spaghetti sauce! I went upstairs, stood in the bathtub, and cut it off, then shaved it. I took most of it outside in the spring and left it for birds to use for nests (never did see a blond abode!).

I went to a local wig store before I went for chemo the first time, and was able to find a good artificial wig in the perfect hair color for $45. I know they're out there!

For around the house, I made some berets using a free pattern that I got from the Nancy's Notions site (www.nancysnotions.com - look for Gail Brown's Creative Kindness Beret after clicking on Creative Kindness at the bottom of the page). It's really easy to make, and is wonderful to use fleece for. If you don't sew, maybe a friend could whip a few up for you. I wore them day and night in our house; we had a record-setting snow year while I was in treatment. I especially liked them because they weren't as clingy as the knit caps I tried.

good site and good tips
    Looks like you are getting lots of good tips and sites to check out. I give my hair to the birds too. :-) Bonnie