THE TALK

Options
2»

Comments

• Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    Old School Onc
    I think that Dr. is giving you the old school rap. What I was told from my Oncologist was "no physician can say how long we will live" our job is to fight this cancer when it rears its ugly head and otherwise live our lifes and love those closest to us.

Your story deeply troubled me last night when I read it. I can only imagine the stress such a conversation put on you and your partner. I hope today gets better, we take alot of emotional punches as a result of this disease. Keep up the good work, you've done great in your fight so far. The smart money is on you, not cancer.

Mike
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave you the best words ever. They are all right. All I can add is what I've preached since I found this board in 2003, well after I was NED (I was stage 4 with liver mets over 7 yrs ago!!):

Expiration dates are for dairy products, not people!

If the doctors can predict when we will pass, then they can also predict winning lottery numbers, so be sure to ask for some of those, too!

Think of it this way...the advice that the doc gave you is something we should ALL do, regardless of diagnosis or prognosis....keep our affairs in order, tell our loved ones what they mean to us, live each day as if it's your last.

HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY~~~~you've got a lot of them still to live!

Hugs,
    Stacy
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

Everyone gave you the best words ever. They are all right. All I can add is what I've preached since I found this board in 2003, well after I was NED (I was stage 4 with liver mets over 7 yrs ago!!):

Expiration dates are for dairy products, not people!

If the doctors can predict when we will pass, then they can also predict winning lottery numbers, so be sure to ask for some of those, too!

Think of it this way...the advice that the doc gave you is something we should ALL do, regardless of diagnosis or prognosis....keep our affairs in order, tell our loved ones what they mean to us, live each day as if it's your last.

HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY~~~~you've got a lot of them still to live!

Hugs,
    Stacy

Dorookie
    Your not going anywhere.....your gonna stay right here with us and live til your 100 years old . So what if we gotta take chemo for the rest of our lives. I just got finished going out in the yard and throwing up my guts because of the nausea but ya know what. Im still alive and I ain't going no where. I don't care how hard it gets, Im tougher than it is. I don't care what it throws at me, Im gonna kick its butt, there is no other option for me, or for you. So forget what you were told, plan on everything you were going to plan such as trips vacation etc. but never ever let this little disease make you change you way of life.......God Bless ya Sweetheart..........
  • dixchi
    dixchi Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Oncologists
    You have heard some great things from others about your oncologist's statements. Oncologists
    must have the hardest job there is and their attitudes often betray burn-out and inability to
    keep abreast in their own attitudes with the new treatments and progress we are making with this disease. They probably need to see a counselor themselves occasionally just to get a
    better balance on the stresses their jobs create. Medical school leaves out the most
    important training: communication skills with patients; that can often make or break a
    patient's ability to cope and manage their treatment well. I think the letter and discussion
    was for benefit of your getting assistance; so remember all those on this board who have been
    in similar places and are still with us today. God bless!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Dorookie
    Your not going anywhere.....your gonna stay right here with us and live til your 100 years old . So what if we gotta take chemo for the rest of our lives. I just got finished going out in the yard and throwing up my guts because of the nausea but ya know what. Im still alive and I ain't going no where. I don't care how hard it gets, Im tougher than it is. I don't care what it throws at me, Im gonna kick its butt, there is no other option for me, or for you. So forget what you were told, plan on everything you were going to plan such as trips vacation etc. but never ever let this little disease make you change you way of life.......God Bless ya Sweetheart..........

God bless you!
    That is an awesome testimony. "I just got finished going out in the yard and throwing up my guts...I don't care how hard it gets, Im tougher than it is..." I will remember that if I find myself back on chemo (ok, I'm being honest, WHEN I find myself back on chemo!).
    mary