Cytoxan & Taxol

Options
jakeca
jakeca Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone used Cytoxan & Taxol as their chemo drugs? I am Stage 1 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, had a lumpectomy and will begin chemo soon. I was told that this combination of drugs is not a traditional breast cancer treatment and I am concerned.

Comments

• mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Cytoxan and Taxotere
    I, too, had invasive ductal carcinoma, Stage 1C, and had a lumpectomoy. I had four rounds of cytoxan and taxotere. Taxol is a cousin of taxotere. Your oncologist must believe that taxol combined with the cytoxan is the best for you based on your pathology report. Ask him/her about the choice of Taxol, as opposed to Taxotere. Many breast cancer patients are prescribed Adriamycin and Cytoxan followed by a few rounds of Taxol (ACT). I asked my oncologist why I didn't receive that regime and she gave me the answer. It had to do with the possibility of underlying heart disease. Evidently, there are several schools of thought concerning which chemo combination is best for a specific invidiual. Your oncologist is best resource. Good luck. Hugs, Marilynn
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    ACT
    I had a stage 1 cancer, lumpectomy, and adriamycin with cytoxin(4 rounds)
    and taxol(4 rounds). My heart scans though showed that my heart was in excellent condition.
    The doctors individualize treatment based on many factors. If you are skeptical you could get a second opinion.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Chemo Cocktail
    I had a lumpectomy, followed be Cytoxan, Taxotere, and Adriamycin, followed by radiation. I am about to finish 5 years of Arimidex, and I am feeling fine! Yes, there were side effects, and the road wasn't a walk in the park, but I did beat the Beast, and so will you!

Welcome to the room~ you will not find a more empathetic, supporive group anywhere!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • marciadh
    marciadh Member Posts: 6
    Options
    chenheart said:

Chemo Cocktail
    I had a lumpectomy, followed be Cytoxan, Taxotere, and Adriamycin, followed by radiation. I am about to finish 5 years of Arimidex, and I am feeling fine! Yes, there were side effects, and the road wasn't a walk in the park, but I did beat the Beast, and so will you!

Welcome to the room~ you will not find a more empathetic, supporive group anywhere!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Taxotere & Cytoxin
    I was stage 2a and had Taxotere & Cytoxin. I can't recall hearing of Taxol with Cytoxin unless Adriamycin is also used. I've seen quite a few people get only Taxotere & Cytoxin though. My onc originally suggested Adriamycin, but since I had a pre-existing heart condition we went with Taxotere instead.

Taxol and Taxotere are both taxanes, but I don't know the differences between the two.
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    chenheart said:

Chemo Cocktail

Hugs,
    Claudia

Arimidex
    Hi Claudia,

I've been thinking of you, and here you hit on something I needed to ask---dodododo (that's as close as I can get to the theme from the Twilight Zone, without sound).

I'm starting Arimidex next week. What are the side effects you've had, if any?

I think the major stuff is oseoporosis and muscle pains. Did you have any of that, and if so, what did you do for it?

Is growing about 44 1/2 feet from Arimidex, or is that just your genetic make-up? LOL

Hugs,
    Jan
  • young_one
    young_one Member Posts: 67
    Options
    marciadh said:

Taxotere & Cytoxin
    I was stage 2a and had Taxotere & Cytoxin. I can't recall hearing of Taxol with Cytoxin unless Adriamycin is also used. I've seen quite a few people get only Taxotere & Cytoxin though. My onc originally suggested Adriamycin, but since I had a pre-existing heart condition we went with Taxotere instead.

Taxol and Taxotere are both taxanes, but I don't know the differences between the two.

I have had both of them and
    I have had both of them and I don't really think there was much of a difference. I'm sure there is something but side effects were exactly the same.

Oops, with the exception of one thing. I had 4 rounds of taxol before I had surgery. During my break for my bilat., my hair started growing back. When I started chemo again after surgery, my onc said my hair would fall out again. I was on Taxotere/Carboplatin/Avastin. My hair didn't fall out again.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Chemo Cocktail

Hugs,
    Claudia

Another Arimidex Question....
    Claudia, you are one of my heroes and now I find out that you are almost finished with your Arimidex regime. Congratulations!!!!!!! So now, I have a question???????------have you heard or read if any of the side effects i.e. achiness in the joints, etc. reverse themselves once you finish your regime????? I'm curious. I just started Arimidex about 6 months ago but I'm at an age where achiness could be caused by age related things, namely being older LOL. But, if I thought there might be a little light at the end of the tunnel, WOW! Of course that "light" will be brightest when I can go for 5 years without any recurrence. That will be the biggest, best and brightest light, but little lights are nice, too. Thanks a bunch. Hugs, Marilynn
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    2 of 3.....
    Both, as others have said, are pretty standard. The third, Adriamycin, made the A in ACT...

3 years ago, I had the 'traditional' ACT. Adriamycin works REALLY well, but also can cause permanent heart damage. It did for me. Many others experienced the same. I believe oncologists are being more cautious, especially with stage I, about using Adriamycin. The 'red devil', because of this risk, is used more as a second line of defense, instead of just part of the routine...or for cases like me, where lymph nodes were involved (stage II).

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    2 of 3.....
    Both, as others have said, are pretty standard. The third, Adriamycin, made the A in ACT...

3 years ago, I had the 'traditional' ACT. Adriamycin works REALLY well, but also can cause permanent heart damage. It did for me. Many others experienced the same. I believe oncologists are being more cautious, especially with stage I, about using Adriamycin. The 'red devil', because of this risk, is used more as a second line of defense, instead of just part of the routine...or for cases like me, where lymph nodes were involved (stage II).

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    KathiM said:

2 of 3.....

Hugs, Kathi

Darn computer!!!
    Sorry for the double post...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I forget what I had!
    Now I'm about to show my ignorance. I'm 5 years out and I can't remember details anymore unless I look them up and my paperwork is in another state. Before surgery they gave me some red stuff in a 'turkey baster', that's what they called it. My hair did fall out. After surgery I got clear stuff that the first time they had to sit and watch me for problems. I started getting tightness in my chest and they had to adjust the speed of the drip. My hair, what had managed to grow back, fell out again. I was a stage 3a. It's kind of good that when you distance yourself from treatment you forget. Maybe I'm blocking. Guess I'm not too much help. Sorry.
  • chenheart
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I forget what I had!
    Now I'm about to show my ignorance. I'm 5 years out and I can't remember details anymore unless I look them up and my paperwork is in another state. Before surgery they gave me some red stuff in a 'turkey baster', that's what they called it. My hair did fall out. After surgery I got clear stuff that the first time they had to sit and watch me for problems. I started getting tightness in my chest and they had to adjust the speed of the drip. My hair, what had managed to grow back, fell out again. I was a stage 3a. It's kind of good that when you distance yourself from treatment you forget. Maybe I'm blocking. Guess I'm not too much help. Sorry.

For The Record
    The Red Stiff was Adriamycin...aka Red Devil! Potent stuff, infused with ultra care, and watched vigilantly. I also forget what I had, and how I felt, and what came first~ I think thats a WONDERFUL signal that cancer is in our past, not ever-looming in the forefront of our psyche.

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • chenheart
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Claudia, you are one of my heroes and now I find out that you are almost finished with your Arimidex regime. Congratulations!!!!!!! So now, I have a question???????------have you heard or read if any of the side effects i.e. achiness in the joints, etc. reverse themselves once you finish your regime????? I'm curious. I just started Arimidex about 6 months ago but I'm at an age where achiness could be caused by age related things, namely being older LOL. But, if I thought there might be a little light at the end of the tunnel, WOW! Of course that "light" will be brightest when I can go for 5 years without any recurrence. That will be the biggest, best and brightest light, but little lights are nice, too. Thanks a bunch. Hugs, Marilynn

Arimidex
    Marilynn,

You are soo sweet....I love you! I have indeed gone to blogs and other sites to read about Arimidex, and bar none, those women who are now past the 5 years say they feel Alive, Not Depressed, have a Sex Drive, and for the first time in a long time , do NOT feel old and borderline Decrepid! I must say that I do not recall having many of the above-mentioned side effects. And those I may have had, I just didn't think to attribute to Arimidex. Don't know why, I just didn't. I am anxious to see if , upon stopping the Arimidex, and weaning my innerds from it, if I will gradually feel, well, more Lively or something! Wouldn't it indeed be an extra benefit to have staved off the Beast for 6 years to date AND feel perky? Even if my boobs are no longer perky ( no reconstruction) perhaps it is better to wear a push-up bra for the external me, and feel vibrant and healthy on the inside! Sounds like a grand trade off to me. I'll let you know if suddenly I blossom into the mindset I had at 30! LOL LOL Won't my sweetie be in for a surprise?????

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • chenheart
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Arimidex
    Marilynn,

You are soo sweet....I love you! I have indeed gone to blogs and other sites to read about Arimidex, and bar none, those women who are now past the 5 years say they feel Alive, Not Depressed, have a Sex Drive, and for the first time in a long time , do NOT feel old and borderline Decrepid! I must say that I do not recall having many of the above-mentioned side effects. And those I may have had, I just didn't think to attribute to Arimidex. Don't know why, I just didn't. I am anxious to see if , upon stopping the Arimidex, and weaning my innerds from it, if I will gradually feel, well, more Lively or something! Wouldn't it indeed be an extra benefit to have staved off the Beast for 6 years to date AND feel perky? Even if my boobs are no longer perky ( no reconstruction) perhaps it is better to wear a push-up bra for the external me, and feel vibrant and healthy on the inside! Sounds like a grand trade off to me. I'll let you know if suddenly I blossom into the mindset I had at 30! LOL LOL Won't my sweetie be in for a surprise?????

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • chenheart
    Options
    NorcalJ said:

Arimidex
    Hi Claudia,

I've been thinking of you, and here you hit on something I needed to ask---dodododo (that's as close as I can get to the theme from the Twilight Zone, without sound).

I'm starting Arimidex next week. What are the side effects you've had, if any?

I think the major stuff is oseoporosis and muscle pains. Did you have any of that, and if so, what did you do for it?

Is growing about 44 1/2 feet from Arimidex, or is that just your genetic make-up? LOL

Hugs,
    Jan

As I was saying...twice!!
    For some inexplicable reason, the reply I wrote to mgm got posted 2X, so maybe you will find YOUR answer in there as well! :-) My Dr was indeed surprised at the 44 1/2 foot growth spurt, and whereas finding clothes which fit is extemely difficult, at least my body is in relative proportion to my head!

Honestly, at 59 I am more active now, even on the Arimidex, than I have ever been. Sometimes I think it's because I MAKE myself do things which I would otherwise not to ( half-marathon) because I want to be in control of me, and not have the Beast telling me what I can and cannot do. It is also vanity, and a bit of fear thrown in; my b/f is 5 years younger than I am, and his daughter who still lives at home is 17. I am fighting being the "old lady" in anyone's life! As I tell anyone who will listen: "I know my sweetie can do younger, he just can't do BETTER"! Not sure who I am trying to convince, but it keeps both of us on our toes!
    Hugs,
    Claudia
  • jakeca
    Options
    Cytoxan and Taxol
    Well, I guess my question was has anyone used Cytoxan and Taxol ONLY, not with any other drugs. That was the concern--that there needed to be something else in there, too.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    jakeca said:

Cytoxan and Taxol
    Well, I guess my question was has anyone used Cytoxan and Taxol ONLY, not with any other drugs. That was the concern--that there needed to be something else in there, too.

Why not ask your onc.
    Why not ask your onc. directly, "Why are you not recommending Adriamycin" and see what he/she says. There are usually good reasons, and it is nice to come here and get enough input to know what questions to ask. I wish you peace with your treatment plan. Love, Joyce
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    jakeca said:

Cytoxan and Taxol

Cytoxan and Taxotere
    I had 4 rounds of C/T in September-October 2008 following a lumpectomy for early stage invasive bc. My oncologist said there was not enough evidence that ACT would be better for me and considering the heart damage risk and other side effects, he treated with C/T only. Don't hesitate to discuss concerns with your Oncologist, but I bet he feels the same way as my doctor.
  • jakeca
    Options
    Cytoxan and Taxol
    Thanks for all of the good advice. I consulted a new oncologist for a second opinion today and he recommended Cytoxan and Taxotere, which is what I perceive to be a very common chemo treatment for breast cancer and I had my first treatment this afternoon. So far I am feeling fine, but I realize that is temporary. I have a Neulasta injection scheduled for tomorrow. I am just so happy to finally be receiving treatment--it has been two months since my surgery and waiting for them to decide what to do with me has been agonizing. I feel like I am in a very good place now and was favorably impressed with my new doctor, so even though I should be depressed about starting chemo, I am a very happy woman tonight. Tomorrow may be a different story!

Thanks again, everyone.
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    jakeca said:

Cytoxan and Taxol
    Thanks for all of the good advice. I consulted a new oncologist for a second opinion today and he recommended Cytoxan and Taxotere, which is what I perceive to be a very common chemo treatment for breast cancer and I had my first treatment this afternoon. So far I am feeling fine, but I realize that is temporary. I have a Neulasta injection scheduled for tomorrow. I am just so happy to finally be receiving treatment--it has been two months since my surgery and waiting for them to decide what to do with me has been agonizing. I feel like I am in a very good place now and was favorably impressed with my new doctor, so even though I should be depressed about starting chemo, I am a very happy woman tonight. Tomorrow may be a different story!

Thanks again, everyone.

Cytoxan and Taxol
    I too am on edge about the waiting. I will be getting the same chemo Jan 5th. Had my surgery Nov. 12th. I will also be getting radiation. So much to learn about. I did not know anything about having to get a port until a week ago. Now I get that on Dec. 19th.

Good luck!