if not one thing it's another

Options
krystiesq
krystiesq Member Posts: 240 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Sitting at chemo center with my mom. She now needs neulasta and her insurance company won't cover it if we don't come back to cancer center to get it, which is over an hour drive one way. If she took it at home it would be $4,500. We are considering going back to her old oncologist just because the drive is so long. She is really discouraged today.

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    unbe fricking lievable!
    I wondered why some people went back to the office for their shots and why I went home with mine. I thought it was because they just didn't want to give themselves the shots. Why don't you see if the cancer center would be willing to file it as an office visit? Or if you can get the shot at an onc's office closer to home if the only requirement is it being administered by an RN.
    mary
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Yep...
    Every time I need Neulasta I have to drive the 1 1/2 to the cancer center to get it. My insurance also only covers it at the center and my mom is a nurse! Frustrating how insurances work...I remove my own pump and flush my port at home, last year I gave myself lovenox and Sandostatin shots at home but can't give myself this particular shot? Go figure!

Kimby
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    kimby said:

Yep...
    Every time I need Neulasta I have to drive the 1 1/2 to the cancer center to get it. My insurance also only covers it at the center and my mom is a nurse! Frustrating how insurances work...I remove my own pump and flush my port at home, last year I gave myself lovenox and Sandostatin shots at home but can't give myself this particular shot? Go figure!

Kimby

Neulasta
    Go figure this one out ....Neulasta costs my insurance company $6000 a shot....The very same shot in Canada is $80..................the fleecing of America...
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Whoa
    Good gracious! I had no idea that stuff was so expensive! I hope y'all can find a solution where it won't be so prohibitive.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Neulasta
    Go figure this one out ....Neulasta costs my insurance company $6000 a shot....The very same shot in Canada is $80..................the fleecing of America...

Pharmaceutical Industry
    This is a prime example of where the Pharmaceutical industry really is running America, isn't it? And no, it's not because Canada has a government subsidized health care system... because drugs are not part of the health care insurance. Yet, our drugs are cheaper than yours?? I know there was a big hullabaloo with your government encouraging Americans NOT to buy prescription drugs in Canada (what with the internet and the ability to order prescription drugs over the internet if you have legitimate prescriptions). I remember us Canucks were outraged when Pres. Bush, in one of his speeches, warned Americans NOT to buy their prescriptions outside of the USA because there are no guarantees of the safety with third-world drugs. Hahahaha... since WHEN did Canada become a third-world country (although, if you've been following our politics this week, I could understand you thinking we are run by the cartoon industry, but we haven't hit a third-world category yet ).

What is particularly interesting is that a lot of the drugs we are talking about are being manufactured by American companies... who just happen to have manufacturing plants set up in Canada. So the same company, manufacturing the same drug, can sell them at a reasonable price in Canada and beyond expensive in the States?

It certainly gives one food for thought, doesn't it?

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Pharmaceutical Industry
    This is a prime example of where the Pharmaceutical industry really is running America, isn't it? And no, it's not because Canada has a government subsidized health care system... because drugs are not part of the health care insurance. Yet, our drugs are cheaper than yours?? I know there was a big hullabaloo with your government encouraging Americans NOT to buy prescription drugs in Canada (what with the internet and the ability to order prescription drugs over the internet if you have legitimate prescriptions). I remember us Canucks were outraged when Pres. Bush, in one of his speeches, warned Americans NOT to buy their prescriptions outside of the USA because there are no guarantees of the safety with third-world drugs. Hahahaha... since WHEN did Canada become a third-world country (although, if you've been following our politics this week, I could understand you thinking we are run by the cartoon industry, but we haven't hit a third-world category yet ).

What is particularly interesting is that a lot of the drugs we are talking about are being manufactured by American companies... who just happen to have manufacturing plants set up in Canada. So the same company, manufacturing the same drug, can sell them at a reasonable price in Canada and beyond expensive in the States?

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

Same in Holland...
    My beau needed some extra pills, so we shuddered to think what they would cost without insurance. The final cost? His normal co-pay in the U.S.

Now, devil's advocate for a moment: Yes, the pills cost $.50 to make. BUT, because of all of the government regs and FDA costs, and protection against lawsuits (Viox), the FIRST pill costs $6 million or more to make. Sorry, if anyone is a lawyer here...but some of these suits are rediculous!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    How about....
    Making arrangements with the old and new oncologist? So, the new oncologist still manages all the care, but the old oncologist gives the shot? Or, find a homecare nurse to drop by with it....best of both worlds....

One of the reasons the insurance won't cover (I know, it's not true for you) administration of this by a family memeber is that there are soooo many things that can go wrong. Including loss of the drug when someone doesn't know how to administer it. OR, complications from incorrect administration.

Remember, McDonalds got sued for their 'hot coffee' being hot....and lost!

Hugs, Kathi
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

Pharmaceutical Industry

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

a good chuckle
    I hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it, Cheryl! I remember a big scuffle over people buying less expensive drugs from Canada and how we didn't know what we might be getting etc and didn't really give it much thought as my insurance has good coverage. But now that you mention it, what were we thinking when we BELIEVED the crap they were saying about "third world countries"?!!!! I suppose the same thing when we BELIEVE the crap they are pushing about gas prices, etc. We Americans can really be terribly gullible!
    mary
  • krystiesq
    Options
    KathiM said:

Same in Holland...
    My beau needed some extra pills, so we shuddered to think what they would cost without insurance. The final cost? His normal co-pay in the U.S.

Now, devil's advocate for a moment: Yes, the pills cost $.50 to make. BUT, because of all of the government regs and FDA costs, and protection against lawsuits (Viox), the FIRST pill costs $6 million or more to make. Sorry, if anyone is a lawyer here...but some of these suits are rediculous!

Hugs, Kathi

im a lawyer and i still
    im a lawyer and i still think it's flipping ridiculous.
  • krystiesq
    Options
    KathiM said:

How about....
    Making arrangements with the old and new oncologist? So, the new oncologist still manages all the care, but the old oncologist gives the shot? Or, find a homecare nurse to drop by with it....best of both worlds....

One of the reasons the insurance won't cover (I know, it's not true for you) administration of this by a family memeber is that there are soooo many things that can go wrong. Including loss of the drug when someone doesn't know how to administer it. OR, complications from incorrect administration.

Remember, McDonalds got sued for their 'hot coffee' being hot....and lost!

Hugs, Kathi

Old/New Onc
    I considered that idea and I will probably contact her old oncologist Monday. The thing about family members is ameliorated, we have a trauma nurse directly across the street from my mom who is willing and amply able. It is hard to get any doctor to work with another outside their group because of malpractice issues. If one doctor gives solely the shot, they open up to liability. Another problem with those pesky suits and the fear it creates. I am actually looking into getting her script filled in canada thanks to buzzard.

we'll see how this progresses. In the mean time, pray for my mom because she'll get the news about her potentially rare skip metastasis on thursday morning. I just don't want her to be devastated. All she kept saying yesterday is I just want good news about my thyroid, I really need it. So, her parade will be rained on and I'll be there to help pick up the pieces but it will be difficult.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    krystiesq said:

Old/New Onc
    I considered that idea and I will probably contact her old oncologist Monday. The thing about family members is ameliorated, we have a trauma nurse directly across the street from my mom who is willing and amply able. It is hard to get any doctor to work with another outside their group because of malpractice issues. If one doctor gives solely the shot, they open up to liability. Another problem with those pesky suits and the fear it creates. I am actually looking into getting her script filled in canada thanks to buzzard.

we'll see how this progresses. In the mean time, pray for my mom because she'll get the news about her potentially rare skip metastasis on thursday morning. I just don't want her to be devastated. All she kept saying yesterday is I just want good news about my thyroid, I really need it. So, her parade will be rained on and I'll be there to help pick up the pieces but it will be difficult.

Mom's News
    Oh Krystie... I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all this stress and soon your Mom will hear the not so good news. I was trying to think of something you could tell her ahead of time so that when she hears the news, she isn't totally devastated. I soooo understand that feeling of devastation. I swear I go through it every time a new doctor reminds me that I'm Stage IV and protocol states not to do this, that and the other procedure once it gets to the Stage IV stage. Lucky for me, a couple of my doctors are progressive enough that they are willing to try procedures.

So, is there any way you can find out ahead of time what the options will be for her treatment of the thyroid? If you know there's a plan in place, then maybe you can talk to her about "What ifs" scenerios and what if the doctor says you have A but we can treat that with 1, 2 and 3. You can then feel her out for what an expected reaction might be... granted, when it becomes a reality sometimes the reaction can be totally different.

I know for me, if I get encouragement from friends who say, "Well pooh! This just means we have another hurdle we have to cover and climb over, meanwhile, why don't you go check that online board you've told us about and ask if anyone else out there has gone through this so we can go to the appt./treatment fully prepared with what to expect". And I got that in spades yesterday after my consultation appt. with the radiologist... so I am feeling back to my old self today... although I am tired.

So, when Mom says "I just want to hear good news about my thyroid!" I have a hunch she knows not so deep down that there's a strong possibility that it won't be good news. So, next time she says that, ask her... if it isn't good news, what are you going to do? If the doctor says there is a treatment for it, do you want to turn it down and not take it? Get this stuff out in the open so that even if she thinks this is just a "what if" game, she will be somewhat psychologically prepared for that possible answer.

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • krystiesq
    Options

Mom's News
    Oh Krystie... I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all this stress and soon your Mom will hear the not so good news. I was trying to think of something you could tell her ahead of time so that when she hears the news, she isn't totally devastated. I soooo understand that feeling of devastation. I swear I go through it every time a new doctor reminds me that I'm Stage IV and protocol states not to do this, that and the other procedure once it gets to the Stage IV stage. Lucky for me, a couple of my doctors are progressive enough that they are willing to try procedures.

So, is there any way you can find out ahead of time what the options will be for her treatment of the thyroid? If you know there's a plan in place, then maybe you can talk to her about "What ifs" scenerios and what if the doctor says you have A but we can treat that with 1, 2 and 3. You can then feel her out for what an expected reaction might be... granted, when it becomes a reality sometimes the reaction can be totally different.

I know for me, if I get encouragement from friends who say, "Well pooh! This just means we have another hurdle we have to cover and climb over, meanwhile, why don't you go check that online board you've told us about and ask if anyone else out there has gone through this so we can go to the appt./treatment fully prepared with what to expect". And I got that in spades yesterday after my consultation appt. with the radiologist... so I am feeling back to my old self today... although I am tired.

So, when Mom says "I just want to hear good news about my thyroid!" I have a hunch she knows not so deep down that there's a strong possibility that it won't be good news. So, next time she says that, ask her... if it isn't good news, what are you going to do? If the doctor says there is a treatment for it, do you want to turn it down and not take it? Get this stuff out in the open so that even if she thinks this is just a "what if" game, she will be somewhat psychologically prepared for that possible answer.

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

thanks cheryl
    I am going to ask her what she will do if she gets bad news. I think that is a good idea.