DIEP reconstruction

Options
2»

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options

Hi Cathy. I am glad
    Hi Cathy. I am glad everything has been going well for you. I'm happy with my results for the most part except for an indentation above the breast which the doctor has filled in with fat. This last procedure was the tattooing of the aerola and to fill in that indentation again. I like you was just a little disappointed that there is still an indentation there so when I went for the post op even the surgeon said we need to fill in again. I guess my disappointment was the fact that I wanted everything finished with since it's been 1 1/2 years already since I started this journey I never wanted to embark in and I didn't want to start off the New Year facing another surgery. But, it wasn't in the cards and I will once again have to go in for one more procedure. I am hoping to be done by March 2009. The important thing for me was getting some semblance of normalcy, which I have accomplished. I hope you are doing well also. May 2009 bring you health and peace. Hugs, Lili

Breast Indentation
    Hi Lili! I had my mastectomy and reconstruction 8 years ago. I had a tram flap so therefore, about 7 or 8 procedures. I had my nipple and areola reconstructed and then had my nipple fixed again as it flattened out. Guess what? It flattened out again. I had a dent above my new breast and had it injected with a filler which didn't work so I had a fat transfer from my posterior thigh. Guess what? I still have a dent. I decided it wasn't something I really needed to fix. It wasn't all that obvious to others as my clothing pretty much covered it up. Yes, when I wear my bathing suit it can be noticed but I decided I wasn't going to let this bother me. There are so many other things bigger than this to bother me at this point in life so I put it on the back burner. My husband never commented on it. My 23 yr old daughter noticed it for the first time over Christmas this year but that was ok. Would I like it to look like the other side? Of course,but I decided I had enough surgery and this was not a major health risk. Of course, you do what you feel is important to you. I just wanted you to know that I have a similiar problem but finally decided to stop trying to look perfect and just be happy with me.Good luck with whatever you decided. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision. HUGS!! Cathy
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    cruf said:

Breast Indentation
    Hi Lili! I had my mastectomy and reconstruction 8 years ago. I had a tram flap so therefore, about 7 or 8 procedures. I had my nipple and areola reconstructed and then had my nipple fixed again as it flattened out. Guess what? It flattened out again. I had a dent above my new breast and had it injected with a filler which didn't work so I had a fat transfer from my posterior thigh. Guess what? I still have a dent. I decided it wasn't something I really needed to fix. It wasn't all that obvious to others as my clothing pretty much covered it up. Yes, when I wear my bathing suit it can be noticed but I decided I wasn't going to let this bother me. There are so many other things bigger than this to bother me at this point in life so I put it on the back burner. My husband never commented on it. My 23 yr old daughter noticed it for the first time over Christmas this year but that was ok. Would I like it to look like the other side? Of course,but I decided I had enough surgery and this was not a major health risk. Of course, you do what you feel is important to you. I just wanted you to know that I have a similiar problem but finally decided to stop trying to look perfect and just be happy with me.Good luck with whatever you decided. I'm sure you will be happy with your decision. HUGS!! Cathy

Thanks Cathy. I guess deep
    Thanks Cathy. I guess deep down I am trying to make it look like the other side but knowing full well it never will. It is a lot better than it was, so I will wait and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hugs, Lili
  • Catherine65
    Catherine65 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi Cathy. I am glad
    Hi Cathy. I am glad everything has been going well for you. I'm happy with my results for the most part except for an indentation above the breast which the doctor has filled in with fat. This last procedure was the tattooing of the aerola and to fill in that indentation again. I like you was just a little disappointed that there is still an indentation there so when I went for the post op even the surgeon said we need to fill in again. I guess my disappointment was the fact that I wanted everything finished with since it's been 1 1/2 years already since I started this journey I never wanted to embark in and I didn't want to start off the New Year facing another surgery. But, it wasn't in the cards and I will once again have to go in for one more procedure. I am hoping to be done by March 2009. The important thing for me was getting some semblance of normalcy, which I have accomplished. I hope you are doing well also. May 2009 bring you health and peace. Hugs, Lili

Hi Lil, Just wanted to let
    Hi Lil, Just wanted to let you know that I will light a candle and pray for your peace of mind more than anything. As I looked at my implant and saw the indentation I wondered if another surgeon would have done better. I've never done this before so I have no reference point. And those babes I see on tv and in the movies with the perky rounded breasts are for me an illusion. They're so much younger too. I think there is an implant that projects out further in the front than the one I have, but because mine was placed behind the muscle it will be flatter anyway. I saw that there is another way to put the implant in which was half in the muscle and half out for better projection. Of course, I saw that after my surgery was done. We must also take into consideration our body types, age, condition of the skin and what miracles the doctors are capable of performing. My insurance has limits also and doesn't give me ALL the options. It's good to have a breast and I think we are learning more as we go along. When people ask how I am doing, I am happy to say, "Today is better than yesterday". And those days that come along and shake us up again will also pass. Peace and Happy New Year to you and your partner there. Cathy
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Hi Lil, Just wanted to let
    Hi Lil, Just wanted to let you know that I will light a candle and pray for your peace of mind more than anything. As I looked at my implant and saw the indentation I wondered if another surgeon would have done better. I've never done this before so I have no reference point. And those babes I see on tv and in the movies with the perky rounded breasts are for me an illusion. They're so much younger too. I think there is an implant that projects out further in the front than the one I have, but because mine was placed behind the muscle it will be flatter anyway. I saw that there is another way to put the implant in which was half in the muscle and half out for better projection. Of course, I saw that after my surgery was done. We must also take into consideration our body types, age, condition of the skin and what miracles the doctors are capable of performing. My insurance has limits also and doesn't give me ALL the options. It's good to have a breast and I think we are learning more as we go along. When people ask how I am doing, I am happy to say, "Today is better than yesterday". And those days that come along and shake us up again will also pass. Peace and Happy New Year to you and your partner there. Cathy

Hi Cathy: I guess I'm
    Hi Cathy: I guess I'm learning to live with the limitations we have. The doctor suggested one more fat grafting and I'll see how I feel come February or March. I know he's done miracles because I was totally concave when we started out and that's why I went for the tram. The breast surgeon had removed way too much muscle and there was hardly any there to hold up an implant. I don't know yet if I will do it. I guess I just don't want to face more surgery unless absolutely necessary. There have been too many procedures since June 2007 when I was dx and had the mastectomy. I think that right now I'm asking for peace of mind and I think it will come soon. Thank you for your kind words. Wishing you a happy and peaceful new year also. Hugs, Lili

PS> And yes each day that passes is better than the day before. Thank you Cathy.
  • KM
    KM Member Posts: 1
    Options
    DIEP
    I would like imput from anyone who's had DIEP as I am considering it. Diagnosed with Breast Cancer in Aug. 2007. Bilateral mastectomy in Sept 2007. Finished Chemo in Dec. 2007. Had Saline implants in June of 2008. By July 1, 2008 had emergency surgery to remove implants because of infection. Not going there again.
    Now I'm considering DIEP. Any firsthand knowledge would be welcome