i am scared

Options
2»

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Panic
    You know this is so much an emotional journey as a physical one. I went for my MRI yesterday and actually feel asleep during it. I did get some good news. It is hormone fed and the other gene test was also good. Of course now I'm obesessing about the MRI and what will that find. I am also beating myself up becuase I am still smoking. I can't belive how much guilt I havr over that. Like I deserve to be sick. Bleieve me I know how nuts I sound. You are all so loving. Kathleen

You need to give YOU a break!
    Althogh, well, you know all the negatives about smoking. My mom, a double cancer survivor, still smokes...just can't kick it. I leave her alone about it. It is one of her coping mechanisms. She does not smoke around me. I don't let her. One of MY coping mechanisms...lol!

As far as the obsessing....well, that is part and parcel to the battle at the beginning. Once all the diagnosing is done, life will settle into a routine (WIERD routine, but still a routine). Just accept that it is what it is, no amount of stressing over it will change it. Take real good care of your body, it will be going into battle soon. Eat healthy. Keep well hydrated. Find something to relieve stress. Get plenty of rest.

My breast cancer was ER/PR postitive, and borderline HER2/NEU positive (FISH test made it negative). I had a complete recovery after lumpectomy/chemo/radiation.

Hugs, Kathi
  • lisastem
    lisastem Member Posts: 5
    Options

Everyone has written very
    Everyone has written very beautifully. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. I went through what you may be feeling. There is one thing I didn't really understand till later. And I wish I had known it right away. As follows:
    You have breast cancer when they find a cancerous tumor in your breast. Whether they do a lumpectomy or a mastectomy, when they remove the tumor you no longer have cancer. They may find that the cancer has spread to your lymph nodes and they will remove the unhealthy ones and extra to make sure they have them all. All the rest of the stuff after surgery is just to make sure they got everything, and if they didn't, the chemo and radiation cripple extra cancer cells so they have less of a chance to do any mischief. It is all insurance against it coming back.
    I don't know what your treatment path is, and If you are like me you are repeating over and over "I have cancer!?!". But soon you will be able to say..."I had cancer and I am showing it just how unwelcoming my body is to any future visits!"
    You will get through this. And we will be there when you need us. love, Joyce

thanks
    Joyce-You were a blessing to me today, you seem to have a simililar tx plan you have a pos attitude which I usually do but sometimes the mind wanders.......thank-you for your feedbacks. lisastem
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    artizan said:

Tasha_111
    How is your lymphodema? Did you get some relief for what you were feeling?

Artizan
    YES! Thank you for remembering..........Huggs Julia
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    You can add my name to the
    You can add my name to the many who had no risk factors. I am the only one of all my ancestors (that I know) on both sides of my family to get any type of cancer. Apparently ~80% of all breast cancer cases have no known risk factors and approx. 80% of them are ER+.
    I was dx May 06 and spent a very long time trying to wrap my head around it. I'm sure I could win some kind of award for being in shock and denial the longest. I was told not to waste my energy wondering why (or how), but I did anyway :) Sometimes I still do.

Take a deep breath and if you think it would help call the Cancer Agency in your area and ask to speak to someone. What would be good now is clear thinking and information gathering so you can understand your docs and your treatment. You are young and strong and that's good.
    Follow the advice these wonderful women have given you, they know what they're talking about and your journey will be a little easier.

I'm so sorry you have to join us, but you will meet the finest people here and they will always be there for you.

We are sending you hugs and prayers
    love
    jan