Bah! Humbug!....Just a little whinning...ok?

Options
2»

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    KathiM said:

I sent my surgeons Godiva....
    And the card said:

"I came with a colon, left with a semi-colon, and lost my period. Such are the punctuations of my cancer journey" (I had a total hysterectomy during my bowel resection).

Hugs, Kathi

I wnet to a choclate party last night...
    My daughter hosted a Dove chocolate party for her Mommy group. Heaven! I ordered Christmas presents for my teams. The room was full of 25-30 year old new mommies, and babies galore. It felt so, well, normal! I had a blast and didn't care that I was so tired I could hardly drive home. It was a good night.

Vicki
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    trainer said:

Fugly socks, love it
    i like your socks idea, esp. getting them for all those who help you. Can you imagine how they must feel if they have even a modicum of humanity when they work with those of us with cancer?

If you ever want to really make a statement, go to www.colossalgram.com. It's a web based business and you can order these giant pink or yellow telegrams that measurer about 3x5 feet. I sent one to my primary, my surgeon, the gastro doc and the nurses station at the hospital where I had my operation. The message was simple: Thank you for saving my life! You're part of a great medical team! Almost made my primary cry when I saw him and the surgeon loved it as did the others. Each office had it up and proudly displayed. I have a hunch few people thank them for their care and healing efforts. My message was sincere and to the point.

My wife, Mary knits and she and my daughter have been knitting "watchcaps" for soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. I put that in quotes because they kept calling them hats and no self-respecting military person would wear anything other than a watchcap! Sheesh. They had to be wool, because acrylic yarn could melt in a fire. Not good. i think between the two of them, they sent 40.

Check out that web site, these are great for other occasions.

the telegrams are a great idea!
    I just wanted to add that since Mary and your daughter knit, they might also want to consider knitting some soft chemo caps for your fellow cancer survivors. Especially with the cold coming up. So many at my office come in wearing those gawd awful scratchy toboggans, so i make soft caps that can be worn at night, if nothing else. I get lots of free patterns online as Mary is probably aware of. Other angels knit caps as well, in lots of different colors; I just add the extra soft ones!
    mary
  • msccolon
    Options
    VickiCO said:

I wnet to a choclate party last night...
    My daughter hosted a Dove chocolate party for her Mommy group. Heaven! I ordered Christmas presents for my teams. The room was full of 25-30 year old new mommies, and babies galore. It felt so, well, normal! I had a blast and didn't care that I was so tired I could hardly drive home. It was a good night.

Vicki

DOVE PARTY?!!!
    I SOOOOO want to go! With all the young mommies and babies to boot! Nothing like babies and chocolate! HEAVEN! Sigh!
    mary
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Options
    msccolon said:

the telegrams are a great idea!
    I just wanted to add that since Mary and your daughter knit, they might also want to consider knitting some soft chemo caps for your fellow cancer survivors. Especially with the cold coming up. So many at my office come in wearing those gawd awful scratchy toboggans, so i make soft caps that can be worn at night, if nothing else. I get lots of free patterns online as Mary is probably aware of. Other angels knit caps as well, in lots of different colors; I just add the extra soft ones!
    mary

Great idea, one question though
    I like your idea of soft knitted caps for cancer survivors and they will as well. Is there a group or groups that have a way to distribute these caps? If not, how do you do it? Sure I realize they can go to a hospital, but if there's a reliable group, it might be better. There's an online group they both visit regularly called ravelry.com, are you familiar with it?
  • msccolon
    Options
    trainer said:

Great idea, one question though
    I like your idea of soft knitted caps for cancer survivors and they will as well. Is there a group or groups that have a way to distribute these caps? If not, how do you do it? Sure I realize they can go to a hospital, but if there's a reliable group, it might be better. There's an online group they both visit regularly called ravelry.com, are you familiar with it?

I just bring them with me to the onc's office!
    And when I am lucky enough to not be going into the office for appointments on a regular basis I go in just to drop the hats off. We also have a wig bank that has other head coverings available that I could use for distribution if i didn't have the onc's office. Any place where the cancer survivors are going for treatment is the best place to leave them, since they can see and feel what's available when they most need them! I will check out the ravelry.com site, haven't been.
    mary
  • Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Heroism
    Kathi:

I don't post a lot but I do read this board regularly. There are many heroes here. You are so important to this board and a real hero.

Your optimism and information and spunk have meant more to me than my words can convey.

We all have dark days. I know I certainly do and I'm only the caregiver. I'm sorry you are having your dark time at the holidays but I can't think of a person I've encountered in our battle against this awful disease who is stronger.

Thank you for being here.

Hatshepsut