Good news and a silly diversion for you

Options
trainer
trainer Member Posts: 241
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just a bit of good news to share and one very silly, funny diversion for when you need a lift (and who doesn't?)

The good news is my 38-yr. old son decided to get an early colonoscopy screening based on my situation and there was NADA, nothing in there. So he's NED and NADA! My daughter is getting her first screening in January. The same surgeon who did my colon resection did Pete's screening.

And now for something completely silly. When you go to this site, you'll find a cartoonish lady and a place to type in text. She will repeat back verbally what you type in. Kind of fun, share it with your family and kids. There are options for either gender and various languages. I typed in that cancer sucks and she repeated it for me. So, when you need to vent or just are bored, check out this site.

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/frameset.php?frame1=talk

God bless us, everyone!

Mike

Comments

• Jimbob-
    Jimbob- Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Son is 38 also
    My son is 38 also, He had a colonoscopy based on my experience also, so now he has a baseline to start from
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Too Funny!
    I swear,there is no limit to entertaining time-wasting on the internet!
    mary
  • trainer
    Options
    msccolon said:

Too Funny!
    I swear,there is no limit to entertaining time-wasting on the internet!
    mary

Laughter is the best med
    Time-wasting? Stress relieffor me!
  • trainer
    Options
    Jimbob- said:

Son is 38 also
    My son is 38 also, He had a colonoscopy based on my experience also, so now he has a baseline to start from

baseline
    He said the same thing, and he's planning on getting a checkup every 5 years now.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm dancing the dance....
    YEA!!!!!

My daughter is 28, she is headed to one at 30...otherwise, the insurance won't even consider it....sigh...

Hugs, Kathi
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Jimbob- said:

Son is 38 also

Jimbob
    JimBob! There is your handsome picture. I love it when you post here - it reminds me!

Kimby
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    never too early!
    My kids get their first colonoscopy at 20 years old. I sure wish someone had told ME to get one after my sister was dx'ed at 29. (every single doc told us her cancer was "rare"). I most likely would not have had Stage III at 39. But I guess this is part of my journey and now it's part of my kids' reality too. On the flip side, at least they come to an understanding, somewhat, to what i have to go through every year! :-)

peace, emily
  • trainer
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm dancing the dance....
    YEA!!!!!

My daughter is 28, she is headed to one at 30...otherwise, the insurance won't even consider it....sigh...

Hugs, Kathi

The surgeon went to bat for my son with the insurance company
    The doctor who did Pete's screening was also my surgeon. Pete checked with the insurance company and they initially wanted him to wait a few more years. But the surgeon went to bat for him with the insurance company and told them that Pete was a first generation and about my polyp cancer. He pointed out they could pay a little now or a lot later if a resecton was needed and any subsequent treatments. Financial logic prevailed. Hell of a good doc! he goes back to his country, Dominican Republic a couple of times a year and does charity surgeries.

With so many young people getting cancer, something's got to change with the insurance companies. On the Colon Club web site, the calendar shows a number of young cancer survivors, all posing showing their scars.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    trainer said:

The surgeon went to bat for my son with the insurance company
    The doctor who did Pete's screening was also my surgeon. Pete checked with the insurance company and they initially wanted him to wait a few more years. But the surgeon went to bat for him with the insurance company and told them that Pete was a first generation and about my polyp cancer. He pointed out they could pay a little now or a lot later if a resecton was needed and any subsequent treatments. Financial logic prevailed. Hell of a good doc! he goes back to his country, Dominican Republic a couple of times a year and does charity surgeries.

With so many young people getting cancer, something's got to change with the insurance companies. On the Colon Club web site, the calendar shows a number of young cancer survivors, all posing showing their scars.

I agree completely...
    My 28 year old daughter went for a FOBT. Her insurance denied payment because....it's only covered for people over 50.....sigh...it's only $75...but it could mean a life...

Hugs, Kathi