port problems

Options
Julie 44
Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
need suggestions
I am having pain in my arm where my port is. My arm aches all the time and I can't lay on that side. I also can't lift anything heavy because it will cause pain..My arm tingles alot and falls to sleep often. Anybody have the same problem and can give me some relief???

Comments

• changing2
    changing2 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Port
    Hi, I had port problems in the beginning. Let your MD know as they can do a scan and check to see the placement. Yours almost sounds like a pinched nerve (I'm no expert) with the tingling in the arm etc. Mine was more of an ache or pain but stopped aching after awhile, yet to this day they can't get blood out but chemo goes in fine...it's been over 2 years and 4 rounds of chemo...still using the same port though! Just get it checked! Keep us posted!

• taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    get it checked out
    I haven't had any such problems. I think you need to get this checked out -- it isn't normal. Good luck.
    Tara
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I agree with others....
    I had my port thru 2 cancers, for 2 years. I never had pain, even right after insertion when they did chemo with it (one hour later...lol!).

Call your doctor...the surgeon who placed it...

The only trouble I ever had was near the end of the chemo for the second cancer. It had to be flushed more frequently, and occasionally they had a bit of a hard time getting the chemo started....

Hugs, Kathi
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    how long has your port been in place?
    Hi,

You didn't say how long your port has been in place. If it's just been put in recently, this may still get better. If it's been a while or this is something new, then I'd definitely contact your oncologist and/or the surgeon who put it in for you. Someone else suggested getting an ultrasound or scan to see if it's in place correctly. A pinched nerve was also suggested by someone.
    Apparently, some people feel no discomfort even when the port is first put in, however, I experienced a lot of pain and discomfort down my arm, in my shoulder, and in my neck on the side where the port was put in. I felt "like I was hit by a truck" for about a week. I still had pinching feelings in my neck and down my arm for a couple more weeks after that. Now, over a year later, I certainly don't feel anything like that anymore, but if I hold my dog against my chest where the port is accidentally, I do get a "shocking" feeling that runs across my chest, neck, and arm- but only when it is pushed or rubbed on.
    Again- if it's new, give it a little time- if you've had it more than a few weeks, then definitely get it checked out.

Best wishes,
    Lisa
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    get it checked
    My suggestion is that you get it checked as soon as possible. Better to be safe. My husband's port tubing broke and a piece is lodged in artery which they cannot remove. Call your doc and have it checked out to be sure it's ok. God Bless
    Diane
  • Sandi1
    Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Get it checked
    My husband had extreme pain with his first port. They eventually removed it and put a new one in on the other side. He has not had any pain what so ever with the new port. The nurses and the oncologist said that there was a problem with his first port and that was what was causing the pain.

Good Luck, Hope you feel better soon.

Sandi
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

get it checked
    My suggestion is that you get it checked as soon as possible. Better to be safe. My husband's port tubing broke and a piece is lodged in artery which they cannot remove. Call your doc and have it checked out to be sure it's ok. God Bless
    Diane

why can't they remove the piece that broke off?
    With my first port, 3 treatments shy of finishing, 6 inches broke off and was found to be floating around in my heart. They had to retrieve it with another catheter through the artery in my groin (can't think what it's called right now). I got to watch on the screen, too much fun! I know my heart was none too happy with that thing hanging around in it! My surgeon was beside himself when he saw the xrays (he was called in by the radiology tech when they saw it). Needless to say, when I had to have another port put back in a year later for a recurrence, they put in a different type of port, one that had a better track record.
    mary
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Sandi1 said:

Get it checked
    My husband had extreme pain with his first port. They eventually removed it and put a new one in on the other side. He has not had any pain what so ever with the new port. The nurses and the oncologist said that there was a problem with his first port and that was what was causing the pain.

Good Luck, Hope you feel better soon.

Sandi

port pain
    Thank you everyone for your answers...I will get it checked out today when I go for round two of treatment..YIPEEEE Boy I can see treatment gets old real fast!!!!!! Thanks again Julie