For folks who have toe pain

Options
cabbott
cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
While I was reading last week, I came across a number of articles on gout. One of the signs of gout is pain in just one toe pain. Not just a stiff sore toe, but an extremely painful toe, usually the big one. Just in case it is gout, you might want to get it checked out. They can do a blood test and tell you what to do. I have had relatives with gout and it is very painful. It could be the breast cancer meds, but the doctor should check it all out. Good luck!

C. Abbott

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    I thought....
    only old, fat people got gout....OOOOOOPS, that would be ME!!!
    LLLOOOLLL
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    zahalene said:

I thought....
    only old, fat people got gout....OOOOOOPS, that would be ME!!!
    LLLOOOLLL

lol
    Lots of folks have been writing in with complaints of toe pain while on arimidex or such and I'm one who's vitamin D level was low, causing some of the problem. However, some of the recent posts were on pain in just one toe. I don't want them to overlook other possibilities. My cousin in his 30's got gout--needs to lay off of all those cheese pizzas I hear--so there. Now, don't you feel young!!!
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    cabbott said:

lol
    Lots of folks have been writing in with complaints of toe pain while on arimidex or such and I'm one who's vitamin D level was low, causing some of the problem. However, some of the recent posts were on pain in just one toe. I don't want them to overlook other possibilities. My cousin in his 30's got gout--needs to lay off of all those cheese pizzas I hear--so there. Now, don't you feel young!!!

no more cheese pizza???
    no more cheese pizza??? arggggggggggggg!!!
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Gout
    Thanks C Abbott

Another thing I need to ask my doctor about. My pain is in the next to big toe. Guess it dosen't matter though. Thanks for the info. What causes gout? Besides being old and fat. LOL Hate to give up those cheese pizzas.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Jadie said:

Gout
    Thanks C Abbott

Another thing I need to ask my doctor about. My pain is in the next to big toe. Guess it dosen't matter though. Thanks for the info. What causes gout? Besides being old and fat. LOL Hate to give up those cheese pizzas.

For Folks Who Have Toe Pain
    Jadie, I think gout can appear in anyone, depending upon what their food consumption (probably not children), and doesn't have an age or size preference. My ex had gout quite often, and it was because he loved to eat....not overweight, but definitely all consuming when it came to food. As far as toe pain, I have experienced neurothopy in my four toes (not the big toe) since I started chemo, and now am almost three months out of chemo treatment, and it still continues. It did lessen after about two months, and then after starting an aromatase inhibitor (Femara) I began to have an increase occurrence. Now I can hardly feel my toes on my right foot, and it feels like I have a large rock in my shoe on the bottom of my foot. I am wondering if the drug is the culprit, along with experiencing aches and pains all over my body, and top it off with depression. I have stopped Femara for a week now, and all pains seem to be subsiding, as well as my depression. I wonder??????? Sometimes we all feel like guinea pigs, and it seems to me that Femara is so new on the market that the doctors are needing stats to compare so they will know if it is really working. It is supposed to completely stop the hormone production in the body, which couldn't be good for you, and is strictly for post-menopausal women. Guess we each have our own decisions to make about our treatment, but living with all the things this drug causes doesn't leave much room for improving your overall outlook on life itself. Any thoughts, anyone?

Judy
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Jadie said:

Gout
    Thanks C Abbott

Seafood can also cause gout
    Seafood can also cause gout and pork products. My husband who is thin, suffers from gout and it seems that when he eats a lo of seafood it just aggravates the problem. Hugs, Lili
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options

For Folks Who Have Toe Pain
    Jadie, I think gout can appear in anyone, depending upon what their food consumption (probably not children), and doesn't have an age or size preference. My ex had gout quite often, and it was because he loved to eat....not overweight, but definitely all consuming when it came to food. As far as toe pain, I have experienced neurothopy in my four toes (not the big toe) since I started chemo, and now am almost three months out of chemo treatment, and it still continues. It did lessen after about two months, and then after starting an aromatase inhibitor (Femara) I began to have an increase occurrence. Now I can hardly feel my toes on my right foot, and it feels like I have a large rock in my shoe on the bottom of my foot. I am wondering if the drug is the culprit, along with experiencing aches and pains all over my body, and top it off with depression. I have stopped Femara for a week now, and all pains seem to be subsiding, as well as my depression. I wonder??????? Sometimes we all feel like guinea pigs, and it seems to me that Femara is so new on the market that the doctors are needing stats to compare so they will know if it is really working. It is supposed to completely stop the hormone production in the body, which couldn't be good for you, and is strictly for post-menopausal women. Guess we each have our own decisions to make about our treatment, but living with all the things this drug causes doesn't leave much room for improving your overall outlook on life itself. Any thoughts, anyone?

Judy

Gout
    Gout is a metabolism disorder. People who suffer from gout have increased uric acid levels which leads to urate crystals being deposited in the joints,which then causes the pain.

Mostly it affects men, but (good news for us-HA) postmenopausal women can also have it---especially if those women take diuretics (like Lasix).

Many times this is a tendency you inherit, but once again lucky us, it can also be caused by chemo. But, it isn't the cause in the large majority of cases.

And yes, most of the time it does affect the big toe, but in women it can be in more than the one---we get more fortunate with each fact!

There's different meds you can take to help with the symptoms, or prevent problems, depending on the cause.

Alcohol can exacerbate the symptoms, but one of the things they have you do is make sure you're getting enough fluids (easy if you continued the good habit from your chemo days).
    Diet can affect it too, somewhat. Mostly it's a good idea to avoid foods high in purines, which are organ meats, shellfish,anchovies, or sardines. It used to be thought of as the rich mans disease because they were the only ones that could afford those foods---(And we keep getting luckier!)

It's definitely something you should tell your doctor about so that both of you can rule out gout, or treat it if necessary. Not to scare you, but it could affect your kidneys, besides really painful in some of the joints. Better to rule it out, and not have, yet another thing, to worry about.

If most of it stopped when you stopped Femara, it might just be from the med. Or, some of it could be chemo induced neuropathies. Did you get Taxol or Taxatere? That's a side affect with those.

Good luck,
    Jan
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    NorcalJ said:

Gout
    Gout is a metabolism disorder. People who suffer from gout have increased uric acid levels which leads to urate crystals being deposited in the joints,which then causes the pain.

Mostly it affects men, but (good news for us-HA) postmenopausal women can also have it---especially if those women take diuretics (like Lasix).

Many times this is a tendency you inherit, but once again lucky us, it can also be caused by chemo. But, it isn't the cause in the large majority of cases.

And yes, most of the time it does affect the big toe, but in women it can be in more than the one---we get more fortunate with each fact!

There's different meds you can take to help with the symptoms, or prevent problems, depending on the cause.

Alcohol can exacerbate the symptoms, but one of the things they have you do is make sure you're getting enough fluids (easy if you continued the good habit from your chemo days).
    Diet can affect it too, somewhat. Mostly it's a good idea to avoid foods high in purines, which are organ meats, shellfish,anchovies, or sardines. It used to be thought of as the rich mans disease because they were the only ones that could afford those foods---(And we keep getting luckier!)

It's definitely something you should tell your doctor about so that both of you can rule out gout, or treat it if necessary. Not to scare you, but it could affect your kidneys, besides really painful in some of the joints. Better to rule it out, and not have, yet another thing, to worry about.

If most of it stopped when you stopped Femara, it might just be from the med. Or, some of it could be chemo induced neuropathies. Did you get Taxol or Taxatere? That's a side affect with those.

Good luck,
    Jan

Gout
    I did take Taxotere, and my neuropathy did start while on chemo. However, it eased after chemo treatment was complete, and came back after starting Femara. Good to hear my ex had other problems other than overeating....oh, I already knew that! (Just a bit of a pun there.) Anyway, thanks for the information.

Judy