Some advice + hope

jkrook
jkrook Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
My dad was in remisssion for a year with lung cancer. He had been having a little trouble breathing so he called his Dr. and they did a catscan that showed fluid. They removed the fluid and had it tested to see if it was his cancer coming back and it came back at stage IIIB inoperable/incurable lung cancer. I am soo scared I can't lose my dad yet. He has 5 grandchildren ages 3 1/2 + under and he just adores them as they adore him. We live right outside Boston where the best hospitals in the world are but was wondering if anyone heard of the Cance Treatment Centers of America. I've been looking into it. Any advice or help will help greatly!

Comments

• MR_SAD
    MR_SAD Member Posts: 91
    Jkrook
    My wife had a lot of trouble with her breathing. as soon as we got The oxygen for her it helped alot she does not have to use it all the time but when she can't get a breath it really makes a difference. Cancer Treatment Centers of America are a wonderful group of folks
    They may or may not be able to help you. it depends on the condition of the cancer. It is definitely worth checking wity them.
  • jkrook
    jkrook Member Posts: 8
    MR_SAD said:

Jkrook
    My wife had a lot of trouble with her breathing. as soon as we got The oxygen for her it helped alot she does not have to use it all the time but when she can't get a breath it really makes a difference. Cancer Treatment Centers of America are a wonderful group of folks
    They may or may not be able to help you. it depends on the condition of the cancer. It is definitely worth checking wity them.

I am very sorry to hear
    I am very sorry to hear about your wife. I really hope the best for you and your family! Thanks for replying to my message. Not only is my dad going through this but my husband is going for a CAT scan 12/8 because they found something in his lungs. So I know how you are feeling. I can only hope and pray everyhting will be alright. I can only take so much!! Pleasae know that I am praying for your family to get though this difficult time in your life!
  • MR_SAD
    MR_SAD Member Posts: 91
    jkrook said:

I am very sorry to hear
    I am very sorry to hear about your wife. I really hope the best for you and your family! Thanks for replying to my message. Not only is my dad going through this but my husband is going for a CAT scan 12/8 because they found something in his lungs. So I know how you are feeling. I can only hope and pray everyhting will be alright. I can only take so much!! Pleasae know that I am praying for your family to get though this difficult time in your life!

your husband
    When it rains sometimes it pours. My prayers are with your husband
    on the 8th. I know this is a very difficult time but try to Stay
    Strong for your family and always hope for the best.
  • wstexgirl
    wstexgirl Member Posts: 7
    jkrook said:

I am very sorry to hear

jkrock
    I wanted to say Im very sorry and I know exactly how you feel..Im not ready to let my dad go either..right now is a very bad time here in texas..If you want you can email me..maybe we can help eachother
  • RB
    RB Member Posts: 4
    wstexgirl said:

jkrock
    I wanted to say Im very sorry and I know exactly how you feel..Im not ready to let my dad go either..right now is a very bad time here in texas..If you want you can email me..maybe we can help eachother

We're in the same boat...
    Hi there,

I am from Texas too and also not ready to lose my Dad. He has been in hospice care for about 2-3 weeks now and he is at home and though he is stable it is SO hard to see him become so debilitated and weak. It just breaks my heart. And its even harder because you feel so helpless. He does not have any cancer treatment options available as he has tried everything and we've gotten more time with him but obviously nothing has cured the cancer. Anyhow, if you want to chat sometime I would love to share this tough experience with someone who might understand! You can reply back here or email me at radhi101@hotmail.com.

Prayers to all,
    RB
  • mandm1
    mandm1 Member Posts: 21
    3b cancer
    my wife was dx with 3b squamous in nov 08. unnecessary surgey and told it was inoperable and we were sent home to take care of our business....luckily I had been in touch with MD Anderson in houston and with hat in hand we arrived in january. we were told initially it was treatable a new word with hope to shrink and then exsise the devil as of this week we have finished 6 weeks od rad and cemo tough on mitzi and have been upgraded to cureable...DON'T take the 1st anaylsis as the end and go after it with gusto. Cancer centers have a great reputation so does mdanderson and since we were only 3 1/2 hrs from houston our decision was easy long story this is not a death sentence we have overcome the local doctors and are looking forward to many more years together it is a fight but can be won we are and you can too
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    Sorry to hear about your
    Sorry to hear about your father. What type lung cancer did your father have and what stage initially? I don't think anyone is ever ready to lose a parent. My prayers are with you
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    RB said:

We're in the same boat...
    Hi there,

I am from Texas too and also not ready to lose my Dad. He has been in hospice care for about 2-3 weeks now and he is at home and though he is stable it is SO hard to see him become so debilitated and weak. It just breaks my heart. And its even harder because you feel so helpless. He does not have any cancer treatment options available as he has tried everything and we've gotten more time with him but obviously nothing has cured the cancer. Anyhow, if you want to chat sometime I would love to share this tough experience with someone who might understand! You can reply back here or email me at radhi101@hotmail.com.

Prayers to all,
    RB

email
    RB, please, please don't post email addresses on the discussion boards - that's a direct invitation to spammers (which we do have here!), spambots, identity thieves and the like. Use the private message system, please, your inbox will be much happier :)
  • Craig_Griffin
    Craig_Griffin Member Posts: 52
    Cancer Treatment Centers
    jkrook, I feel your concern. I am now just recovering from throat cancer, since March of 2008. No matter what form of cancer, I also was very worried from the start that I should be going to a better facility than what was available to me. Unless I could find a very definate flaw with my medical team, I remained with what I had. In our area the Cancer Treatment Centers of America was about an 80 mile drive away. I was glad with the decision I made for an IMPORTANT reason. I had many unexpected emergencies, and was only about 6 miles away from my emergency room. Also my oncologist and my radiation oncologist gave me their cell phone numbers. To me this was the most important indication that I was being treated by doctorswith a genuine concern for me. It allowed me to have the positive reinforcement that is most beneficial for our own emotional wellness during cancer treatment. I am certain that either way you go, you will decide with strong conviction as to what is ultimately best. -Craig.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator