My granny found out she had colon cancer about 6 months ago. She is 92 and have ?s

td
td Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
She was in great health at 92 living on her own in a retirement home. Had surgery and then told to take 27 treatments of radiation and 1/2 thru suggested oral chemo. Did great until the last two treatments. Now real fragile. Saw her today and was shivering and had her place to hot I about suffocated but there she was with a blanket over her and just cold. Felt her she seemed alittle warm but not to. No sweats. Seemes to have good appetite but real tired. I told her to just rest but she says she needs to at least stay out of the bed. I think rest would be best. Is the temp normal after all the treatments?

Worried Granddaughter

Comments

• Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Sending Prayers
    Your grandmother is so lucky to have you there for her. Have you talked to her doctors? I am sure that the treatments have caused her to be fatigued and weak. My husband and many of the other survivors here have had similar symptoms. I know my husband had a slight temperature at times, but anything unusual should be reported to your doctors. It is good that she still has her appetite. Make sure that she is drinking a lot of water. Good hydration is so important and may decrease some of the side effects. God Bless!
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Hydration concern
    Hi. You're a wonderful granddaughter. Definitely check with her doctors, especially since she is elderly. Fatigue during chemo is normal, but I'm concerned about her hydration. If she is dehydrated, she will feel even more weak and may have the shivers. I think her doctor should be advised of her status; she may need IV fluids. God Bless.

Kirsten
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Sounds like hydration to me, too....
    Although, cold sensitivity comes with chemo, also. Is she taking Xeloda?

Radiation and chemo give a one/two punch to the cancer...but make the effects more intense.

I agree with the others...call her oncologist and ask what to do...

Hugs, Kathi
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    I would be worried about her
    I would be worried about her temperature too. Did you take her temperature? It should be normal. A high temp. can indicate infection.
    Please contact her doctors and let them know. I don't think that Xeloda would cause this.
    Let us know what happens,
    Susan H.
  • td
    td Member Posts: 2

Sending Prayers
    Your grandmother is so lucky to have you there for her. Have you talked to her doctors? I am sure that the treatments have caused her to be fatigued and weak. My husband and many of the other survivors here have had similar symptoms. I know my husband had a slight temperature at times, but anything unusual should be reported to your doctors. It is good that she still has her appetite. Make sure that she is drinking a lot of water. Good hydration is so important and may decrease some of the side effects. God Bless!

granny with colon cancer
    I want to thank each of you for your posting as I was able to relay it to her and she was so appreciative. She went to doctor and was told she was doing well. She lives alone and is beginning to feel she might need a sitter for a few hours a day. I am not sure I understand due to she has her friends bringing her meals to her and is resting much of the time. She lives in a retirement home where she has been for about 3 years. Is this fear? I have offered my home but says she feels better at her place. I work but would be home in the evenings. I think part is due to depression b/c my mom (her daughter) passed away after a long illness with alzheimers. Could someone give me some feedback?
    td
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    td said:

granny with colon cancer
    I want to thank each of you for your posting as I was able to relay it to her and she was so appreciative. She went to doctor and was told she was doing well. She lives alone and is beginning to feel she might need a sitter for a few hours a day. I am not sure I understand due to she has her friends bringing her meals to her and is resting much of the time. She lives in a retirement home where she has been for about 3 years. Is this fear? I have offered my home but says she feels better at her place. I work but would be home in the evenings. I think part is due to depression b/c my mom (her daughter) passed away after a long illness with alzheimers. Could someone give me some feedback?
    td

After an serious health threat, older people....
    My mom, at age 85, has lived alone since her beau of 12 years (and 95 years old, BTW!) passed a few years ago. She was great. VERY mobile, and very self-sufficient. She is a double cancer survivor (hey, like me! lol), and met both challenges with strength and courage.

About a year ago, she fell and broke her hip. Something else was broken...her confidence in herself. Nothing major, she didn't withdraw other than to start to use a cane because she is not confident she won't fall again. But it was a reminder that she is vulnerable. She insisted on living alone still in her home. I convinced her to get Life Alert...for my own peace of mind. Luckily, I live nearby, and can be there in a few minutes.

She now talks some days about feeling 'old'. Usually this is followed by an invitation to me for lunch. She has outlived many of her friends, and has buried 2 men. When we talk about this, she says "You know, Kathi, I'm just older some days than others".

You are a WONDERFUL granddaughter! I know she appreciates your offer of you home, but independence and familiar surroundings is very comforting to aging adults. You may be right about the depression...no one should have to bury a child...I have, and IT SUCKS! But as long as she is still reaching out to you, and other people (asking for a sitter...), it's probably ok. You may want to run it by her doctor.

Hugs and happy Thanksgiving!
    Kathi