2»

Comments

• trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Options
    2bhealed said:

Comfort Food = Cereal
    Hi Trainer,

Here are my two favorite breakfast cereals that are also comfort foods for me:

HOT--

Old Fashioned oats (the quick oats are more processed=blood sugar issues)
    walnuts chopped
    flax seeds ground
    hemp nuts
    blueberries
    cinnamon
    agave nectar (low glycemic--yummy!)

I cook the oats and while it's cooking, I put the blueberries (frozen)and walnuts in a bowl. When I put the hot oatmeal in the bowl the frozen blueberries help cool it. Then I add all the other ingredients.

The hemp adds a days worth of protein and it's great for feeling full for hours. I am hypoglycemic so I know this must help my blood sugar since I don't get the lows I often do with just plain oatmeal.

COLD--

muesli (our coop has the BEST with dates and almonds and raisins--don't know the brand--it's in the bulk aisle)
    grapenuts
    almond milk
    banana

I pour 1/4 c grapenuts and add some muesli in a bowl. Add milk and let it sit and get mushy. Then I add the banana. Oh man, I just love this breakfast!

Enjoy!

let me know if you try either one and what you think.

peace, emily

Thanks
    Thanks. Oats are really good and the agave nectar is out of this world. What exactly is almond milk?
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    trainer said:

Thanks
    Thanks. Oats are really good and the agave nectar is out of this world. What exactly is almond milk?

Milk alternatives
    Almond milk is milk made out of almonds. It's great. I get the unsweetened variety. I don't do cow milk--no dairy for me.

Soymilk is controversial--there are two different camps for processed soy. I used it for years but I am trying to improve my thyroid so soy is a no-no. My son and hubby only use that.

Rice milk is in my frig too for my girls but I prefer the almond. Less sugar and more protein I think.

I forgot to add that I put the hemp nuts in my cold cereal too. I swear by them!

enjoy!

peace, emily
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    Options
    oatmeal
    from the dietitian of the group..i just want to comment that oatmeal with cinnamon and flaxseed is an excellent combination for someone with diabetes...The flaxseed contains the 'good' fats which are excellent for heart health and there are studies that show flaxseed can actually shrink colon tumors. The fiber aids in lowering cholesterol and is good for the colon health. There are lots of very good studies on cinnamon helping to keep blood sugars steady.. where i work we put cinnamon in all the diabetics oatmeal
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Options

oatmeal
    from the dietitian of the group..i just want to comment that oatmeal with cinnamon and flaxseed is an excellent combination for someone with diabetes...The flaxseed contains the 'good' fats which are excellent for heart health and there are studies that show flaxseed can actually shrink colon tumors. The fiber aids in lowering cholesterol and is good for the colon health. There are lots of very good studies on cinnamon helping to keep blood sugars steady.. where i work we put cinnamon in all the diabetics oatmeal

Thanks!
    Appreciate your info and suggestions.