Effexor

Options
Chellebug
Chellebug Member Posts: 133
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm looking for some advice on Effexor. I am one-year since my diagnosis with breast cancer at age 36, and still in treatment with Herceptin/Zometa/Tamoxifen. I had a bilateral mastectomy and bilateral oophorectomy (ovaries) back in April. Since that time I've just tried to push ahead and get through the days. Everyone around me thinks I'm so strong and have had such a great outlook through all of this. For the most part, I've tried to keep my world and my kids' (4 boys..ages 10, 9, 7, 5) world as normal as possible throughout my treatment. My husband has been such a support. Mostly I give credit to all of my family and friends who pray for me everyday and to God who has given me His peace.

Still, since I started taking Tamoxifen, I find it harder and harder to push through my feelings of depression (which manifest mostly as agitation with my kids and a sense of numbness to my world). I still have rib pain on my right chest wall after radiation (I think most of it is an inflammatory/musculoskeletal issue from the radiation and part of it is neuropathic issue from the modified radical mastectomy). I also continue with moderate hot flashes on a daily/nightly basis. So, between the rib pain on the right and the hot flashes while at night, I haven't really had a good night sleep in months....that probably attributes to my declining mood as well.

So...I've read that Effexor can help with hot flashes, neuropathic pain and depression. It seems like a perfect fit for my situation, yet I've also read some scary information about withdraw from the drug once you're ready to stop taking it.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Effexor? Good or bad? Anything that would help me in making this decision. I see my oncologist again in a few days and plan to bring it up with her.

Thanks for any advice,
Chelle

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Hi Chelle, I don't take
    Hi Chelle, I don't take Effexor myself but I can tell you that a lot of women are really happy with it. I think the problem with it is missing a dose or going off it cold turkey.
    With most anti-depressants I think they say to gradually go off it.

Another route you can take is Gabapentin (neurontin) which helps with hot flashes and neuropathy. Splitting my Tamoxifen dosage in half (half in the am and half in the pm) eliminated my depression. That might be something to try if you think the depression is related to Tamoxifen.

Best of luck to you
    jan
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Chelle, I haven't had any
    Hi Chelle, I haven't had any experience with Effexor, though I know many women have, but my doctor gave me the Tamoxifen to take 2x a day from the very beginning because he did say it was mood altering. Check with your onc and see if they can switch the dose to 10 mg 2x a day. That should help somewhat. Hugs, Lili
  • Chellebug
    Options

Hi Chelle, I don't take
    Hi Chelle, I don't take Effexor myself but I can tell you that a lot of women are really happy with it. I think the problem with it is missing a dose or going off it cold turkey.
    With most anti-depressants I think they say to gradually go off it.

Another route you can take is Gabapentin (neurontin) which helps with hot flashes and neuropathy. Splitting my Tamoxifen dosage in half (half in the am and half in the pm) eliminated my depression. That might be something to try if you think the depression is related to Tamoxifen.

Best of luck to you
    jan

Does Neuronontin make you drowsy?
    Thanks, Jan. I definitely will ask about splitting my Tamoxifen dosage. Hey do you know if neurontin makes you drowsy? My surgeon had mentioned that drug to me when I saw her last week, but she said it can really make you sleepy. I can't afford to be sleepy during the day because I homeschool my boys. So for now I'm taking 800mg ibuprofen 3x/day for a couple of weeks to try to break up the inflammation cycle, and I'm icing my chest wall 3-4 times/day. I even started swimming 3x/week. And I'm a terrible swimmer. But I have had some benefit from the anti-inflammatory medicine, the ice and the exercise.

I hate feeling numb and being agitated with my boys all the time. You would think that those two feelings couldn't co-exist.....Numbness and Agitation. Yet, they do with me. I don't want them to remember me being so cranky and short-tempered.
  • Chellebug
    Options

Hi Chelle, I haven't had any
    Hi Chelle, I haven't had any experience with Effexor, though I know many women have, but my doctor gave me the Tamoxifen to take 2x a day from the very beginning because he did say it was mood altering. Check with your onc and see if they can switch the dose to 10 mg 2x a day. That should help somewhat. Hugs, Lili

Thanks, Lili.
    I'm all for

Thanks, Lili.

I'm all for taking less medication. So, maybe I should try the split tamoxifen for awhile before trying the Effexor. Any ideas on how long it will take for my mood to improve (if it is from the Tamoxifen?

Chelle
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Chellebug said:

Thanks, Lili.
    I'm all for

Thanks, Lili.

I'm all for taking less medication. So, maybe I should try the split tamoxifen for awhile before trying the Effexor. Any ideas on how long it will take for my mood to improve (if it is from the Tamoxifen?

Chelle

effexor
    Hi I have been on effexor (1/2 dose) since july when I finished my chemo. I am now on full dose and suppose I am feeling a little bit less depressed, not sure if it is working yet though. Dr put me on Gabapentin for neuropathy, it didn't help just made me feel sick and dizzy. Hope this helps. Julia
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Chellebug said:

Thanks, Jan. I definitely will ask about splitting my Tamoxifen dosage. Hey do you know if neurontin makes you drowsy? My surgeon had mentioned that drug to me when I saw her last week, but she said it can really make you sleepy. I can't afford to be sleepy during the day because I homeschool my boys. So for now I'm taking 800mg ibuprofen 3x/day for a couple of weeks to try to break up the inflammation cycle, and I'm icing my chest wall 3-4 times/day. I even started swimming 3x/week. And I'm a terrible swimmer. But I have had some benefit from the anti-inflammatory medicine, the ice and the exercise.

I hate feeling numb and being agitated with my boys all the time. You would think that those two feelings couldn't co-exist.....Numbness and Agitation. Yet, they do with me. I don't want them to remember me being so cranky and short-tempered.

quality of life
    I was taking gabapentin for a while and it did reduce my hot flashes in frequency and duration. But after several months it didn't seem to work as well and I went off it.

I have not tried effexor but have heard it works well. I remember reading years ago about the withdrawal problems. But if something helps and improves your quality of life, then I would consider it.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Chellebug said:

Thanks, Lili.
    I'm all for

Thanks, Lili.

Chelle

No idea Chelle, hopefully it
    No idea Chelle, hopefully it would improve your mood soon. Hugs, Lili
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Chelle, I am not sure about
    Chelle, I am not sure about this but I have heard somewhere that tamoxifin tablets should not be manually split. They have some kind of time release business. It is easy to get a prescription for half strenght pills twice a day. Check with you doctor.
    Wow, so you think the tamoxifin has mood effects. That is interesting. I am on tamoxifin and certainly have some weird moods. Sometimes I feel negative and then try to blame situations around me. Not my usual sunny self. I have been on it about five months. I think things are getting better mood wise but frankly, after this whole ordeal I am so turned around some days I don't know which end is up.
    I started yoga, and I think that is helping. I wish you the best of everything! love, Joyce
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    Chellebug said:

Yes I believe it does till
    Yes I believe it does till you get used to it. I take mine at night to help me stay asleep.
    They usually start you on a small dosage and build it up. I still take 100 mg/night but you can go up to 1800 mg/day. It should leave your system by morning. Antidepressants can make you tired until you get used to them as well, at least that's my experience. Tried one once and slept for 2 weeks. But they make work well for you.

When I split my Tamoxifen, it took maybe 2 days for the depression to lift. Can't tell you how happy I was.

I don't know if you realize it or not but you are doubling the recommended dosage for Ibuprofen. If your doctor didn't advise you to take this much and you're doing it on your own, check and see what else he can give you. There are more powerful anti-inflammatories you can get by prescription.

I hope some of the information we have given you gives you relief. It's hard being cheerful when you're in so much pain.

best of luck to you
    jan
  • phoenixrising
    Options

Chelle, I am not sure about
    Chelle, I am not sure about this but I have heard somewhere that tamoxifin tablets should not be manually split. They have some kind of time release business. It is easy to get a prescription for half strenght pills twice a day. Check with you doctor.
    Wow, so you think the tamoxifin has mood effects. That is interesting. I am on tamoxifin and certainly have some weird moods. Sometimes I feel negative and then try to blame situations around me. Not my usual sunny self. I have been on it about five months. I think things are getting better mood wise but frankly, after this whole ordeal I am so turned around some days I don't know which end is up.
    I started yoga, and I think that is helping. I wish you the best of everything! love, Joyce

Joyce.....you made me run
    Joyce.....you made me run and check my Tamoxifen in case I shouldn't have split it, but it's OK. If it's scored with a line running down it, you can split it and if a drug is controlled or timed release it usually says so beside the name like CRT or SR or something like that to indicate it's a slow release. Mine is scored so it should be OK. But if I were to continue taking it I would ask for the 10mg which makes better sense and a lot easier on the nails. I just wanted to try it out and see if it made a difference. It's good you think of stuff like that.
  • Chellebug
    Options

Yes I believe it does till
    Yes I believe it does till you get used to it. I take mine at night to help me stay asleep.
    They usually start you on a small dosage and build it up. I still take 100 mg/night but you can go up to 1800 mg/day. It should leave your system by morning. Antidepressants can make you tired until you get used to them as well, at least that's my experience. Tried one once and slept for 2 weeks. But they make work well for you.

When I split my Tamoxifen, it took maybe 2 days for the depression to lift. Can't tell you how happy I was.

I don't know if you realize it or not but you are doubling the recommended dosage for Ibuprofen. If your doctor didn't advise you to take this much and you're doing it on your own, check and see what else he can give you. There are more powerful anti-inflammatories you can get by prescription.

I hope some of the information we have given you gives you relief. It's hard being cheerful when you're in so much pain.

best of luck to you
    jan

2 Days!!
    Wow! That's very encouraging to me, Jan. I think it would be wise for me to have my oncologist change my Tamoxifen dosage before I try the Effexor.

My doctor did prescribe that amount of ibuprofen....but only for a short time. She said if this doesn't 'knock out' the inflammation and bring down the pain, then we may have to consider neurotin. The pain seems to be a mixture of musculoskeletal and nerve pain. But we're not sure which one is worse. I've got a few more days to go with the ibuprofen and ice. It took 5 days before I noticed any relief. My physical therapist said that to get a true anti-inflammatory response, I need to stay on the ibuprofen for at least 21 days (but can cut down the dosage to the recommended dosage once I finish the prescribed amount).

If I do end up needing to go forward with neurotin, I'll remember your tip and take it at night.

Thank you so much!!!
    Chelle
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Effexor
    Hi Chelle

I was on Effexor for about three years (before dx). I went off of it because it gave me hotflashes. I then started Zoloft which I do great with. I was on Zoloft when dx and would probably went off the deep end without it and the help of Xanax. I take it at night to prevent the day drousiness.

I certainlly know what you mean about the numbness and agitation.
    Sometimes I thought that a sence of numbness to the world (and cancer) might be better than the alternative.

I was on Tamoxifen for two years and then switched to Aromasin which I have been on for about two years. I have taken Zoloft the whole time. I noticed no change in the way it worked while taking the Tamoxifen or the Aromasin. I am one of the lucky ones that is not bothered by hot flashes with either drug.

I prayed every day for strength to help me through dx and treatment. Maby the "numbness" was Gods way of helping me through. We never know what kind of soldier we are until we fight the war. Do we?

You may have to try more than one anti-depresant. The important thing for both Zoloft and Effexor is that you have to gradually go off of them. I am not sure about any of the other anti-depresants since I haven't experienced them.

Keep us posted as to what decisions you make and how you are doing.

Jadie
  • Chellebug
    Options
    Jadie said:

Effexor
    Hi Chelle

I was on Effexor for about three years (before dx). I went off of it because it gave me hotflashes. I then started Zoloft which I do great with. I was on Zoloft when dx and would probably went off the deep end without it and the help of Xanax. I take it at night to prevent the day drousiness.

I certainlly know what you mean about the numbness and agitation.
    Sometimes I thought that a sence of numbness to the world (and cancer) might be better than the alternative.

I was on Tamoxifen for two years and then switched to Aromasin which I have been on for about two years. I have taken Zoloft the whole time. I noticed no change in the way it worked while taking the Tamoxifen or the Aromasin. I am one of the lucky ones that is not bothered by hot flashes with either drug.

I prayed every day for strength to help me through dx and treatment. Maby the "numbness" was Gods way of helping me through. We never know what kind of soldier we are until we fight the war. Do we?

You may have to try more than one anti-depresant. The important thing for both Zoloft and Effexor is that you have to gradually go off of them. I am not sure about any of the other anti-depresants since I haven't experienced them.

Keep us posted as to what decisions you make and how you are doing.

Jadie

Comforting to be Comforted
    Thank you for your post, Jadie! It's comforting to be comforted by someone who can relate to my emotional numbness and agitation. (I'm sure there are many others out there, you just happened to be the one to say so......Bless you for that!)

I just wanted to thank all the ladies who have posted. There is healing that takes place in having the freedom to share your heart with people who have walked a similar path with you. It's good to let it out and not bottle it up. And there is such encouragement that takes place when I read your responses.

I stopped by my pharmacy today. I'm beginning to be a regular there. My pharmacist said it was okay to go ahead and cut my tamoxifen pills in half (since I just filled the prescription last week). If that does help with my mood, then the oncologist can write a script for the 2x/day dose of 10 mg. Which, he checked for me, will cost the same amount as the 1x/day 20 mg dose. So that's good news. Hopefully, there aren't any issues with the effectiveness of tamoxifen if its split up into 2x/day. My onc will know.

I see my onc on Wednesday. I'll try to update after that.
    Blessings,
    Chelle
  • phoenixrising
    Options
    Another good thing about
    Another good thing about Effexor is that it is one of the SSRI's that only minimally inhibits the metabolism of Tamoxifen.