Femara

Options
creampuff91344
creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a 9 month survivor of breast cancer, and have completed chemo and radiation. I am now taking Femara to eliminate estrogen production, and will take this for five years. Unfortunately, side effects are really giving me a hard time. Has anyone taken this drug, and if so, how did it affect you? The decision to start Femara was one that I anguished over, and now wonder if I made the right decision. They prescribed this drug because I am post-menopausal, and this is the most effective drug for me. Help!

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Femara
    Hi Creampuff! I was also on Femara after 5 years on Tamoxifen.I had very little trouble with Tamoxifen other than hot flashes and vaginal discharge. I had a hard time on Femara with joint pain,hands and feet, wt. gain, dry spots on my corneas and high cholesterol which I never had before. After 8 mos. I switched to aromasin which is the same family of drug. Unfortunately, I had the same problems and after 1 year on that, decided, with my MD, that it was time to stop. Unfortunately, my quality of life wasn't great. I've now been off all meds for 1 year and I still have joint pain. My cholesterol is managed with meds and my dryness in my eyes is also managed with eyedrops. I'm now also on meds for low thyroid. Never had any of these problems before the Femara/aromasin. Not everyone has these problems. You have to decide what is best for you. I guess, in the long run, this was tough for me but I'm an 8 year survivor so have to be thankful for that! Good luck and hope you feel better. HUGS!! Cathy
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    cruf said:

Femara
    Hi Creampuff! I was also on Femara after 5 years on Tamoxifen.I had very little trouble with Tamoxifen other than hot flashes and vaginal discharge. I had a hard time on Femara with joint pain,hands and feet, wt. gain, dry spots on my corneas and high cholesterol which I never had before. After 8 mos. I switched to aromasin which is the same family of drug. Unfortunately, I had the same problems and after 1 year on that, decided, with my MD, that it was time to stop. Unfortunately, my quality of life wasn't great. I've now been off all meds for 1 year and I still have joint pain. My cholesterol is managed with meds and my dryness in my eyes is also managed with eyedrops. I'm now also on meds for low thyroid. Never had any of these problems before the Femara/aromasin. Not everyone has these problems. You have to decide what is best for you. I guess, in the long run, this was tough for me but I'm an 8 year survivor so have to be thankful for that! Good luck and hope you feel better. HUGS!! Cathy

Femara
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have tried several cancer chatrooms, and have not heard from anyone except you that has been on Femara. I am really having second thoughts about whether or not to continue the treatment, as my quality of life is not so great, and I miss being able to get out and about. My doctor tells me that after a "few months" my body will adjust to the drug. The main problem I am having is with breast soreness, and don't know if this is the drug, or what. My next mammogram is the middle of December, so we will see how well the treatment has gone so far. Because this is my first mammo since chemo/radiation, I am just hoping is is clear. Anyway, thank you for your input. I will really be putting some thought into whether I will stick the five years out, or if I will choose to "take my shots" without it. Hugs your way also.

Judy
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Arimidex and Femara
    I'm on Arimidex which is the same thing as Femara, just a different manufacturer. I've been on it for 5 months. So far, so good. I do have occasional joint aches but they seem to go away as the day wears on. I do get discomfort at night, which makes for rough sleeping. My oncologist gave me a prescription to help with the pain at night. It helps a lot. Please talk to your oncologist. She/he may have some helpful information for you. And, look up aromatase inhibitors in the "search" section of this discussion board or the name cabbot. C.Abbot has done a lot of research on the subject which you might find helpful. We all love to read her posts. Her ability to research is exceptional. You may find it to be helpful, also. Good luck. Marilynn