Just thinking

Options
Sandi1
Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband has just finished his third round of chemo - I think he's doing well. This is the first one he has had with his port. All the time he is on the chemo he's normal, he seems to have a reaction after the chemo. He gets chemo from Wednesday's to Friday's. Then Saturday and Sunday he is very tired, late Sat. into Sunday and Monday AM he has diarhea. Also, late Sunday into Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday he has a cough. Now I don't know if that is related to the chemo side effects or if it has something to do with the cancer in his lungs. Now, has anyone else every had this particular side effect with 5FU + Avistan? And Does this type of chemo treatment work for the lungs too, or just the liver?

Any comments would be helpful

Sandi

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    chemo side effects timing
    I know my nausea was worst days 1-3, but the diarrhea and other effects didn't start until the port was disconnected. Since the port contained Leucovorin, which is mainly designed to extend the life of the other chemo, it makes sense that once it was disconnected, the drugs started exiting like there was no tomorrow! This is why the diarrhea, etc. You will probably find there's a trend to your husband's side effects, which makes them a bit easier to tolerate (IMHO).
    mary
  • standbyme
    standbyme Member Posts: 41
    Options
    side effects
    My hubby also is on 5fu among others. His side effects follow your husbands almost exactly. He has a bit of a cough but a very hoarse voice for a few days following. This treatment is given to him only for mets to lungs. He is going for round four on Thursday.

Judy
  • chynabear
    chynabear Member Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on Avastin, but I
    I wasn't on Avastin, but I was on the same schedule and remember feeling tired and all that for that long. Also, don't be surprised that when he is finished with chemo he doesn't just "bounch back". I was so frusterated when months later I still needed a nap mid day. It helped to find out that most people are still "recovering" from chemo for up to and sometimes a little more than a year.

I can also give you second hand info in that I have read others having a "cough" with or after chemo. I would run this by his onc, but I'm thinking it is probably nothing to worry about. Just make sure.

Tricia
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    standbyme said:

side effects
    My hubby also is on 5fu among others. His side effects follow your husbands almost exactly. He has a bit of a cough but a very hoarse voice for a few days following. This treatment is given to him only for mets to lungs. He is going for round four on Thursday.

Judy

hoarse voice
    is he taking decadron for nausea? that is what caused my hoarse voice! But well worth it! The Emend/Decadron combo almost made me feel normal!
    mary
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I only have big hugs...
    no information. I was on 5FU, but not Avastin. Tiredness goes with the whole thing, and I think that Avastin is a bit later than the 'day 3' reaction.

Hugs, Kathi
  • standbyme
    standbyme Member Posts: 41
    Options
    msccolon said:

hoarse voice
    is he taking decadron for nausea? that is what caused my hoarse voice! But well worth it! The Emend/Decadron combo almost made me feel normal!
    mary

hoarse voice
    He gets decadron as a premed before the chemo. The decadron gives him bad heartburn and hiccups when in pill form so gets something else for nausea at home.

Judy
  • peterhw
    peterhw Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Side effects
    Hi Sandi,

I have the same regiment as your husband and have just finished the 11th chemo. I had the sore throat and hoarse voice a couple times. My doc prescribes "magic mouthwash". Swish a few second and swallow it. It works very well. I also have the chemo from Wednesday to Friday. I do feel tired till Saturday AM. A couple things seem to help. First, drink plenty of water. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day, usually with a wedge of lemon to make it tasty. Second, fresh air. Try to walk outdoor and breathe in the fresh air for a few minutes. Third, find a soft exercise, like yoga or tai chi, to improve the energy level. I have practiced a "self-saving" exercise for 4 months now. You can find more info in their web site www.zijiu.org. It is free and run by volunteers some of them are cancer survivors. Any kind of exercise will be good for your husband.

Peter
  • Sandi1
    Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
    Options
    peterhw said:

Side effects
    Hi Sandi,

I have the same regiment as your husband and have just finished the 11th chemo. I had the sore throat and hoarse voice a couple times. My doc prescribes "magic mouthwash". Swish a few second and swallow it. It works very well. I also have the chemo from Wednesday to Friday. I do feel tired till Saturday AM. A couple things seem to help. First, drink plenty of water. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day, usually with a wedge of lemon to make it tasty. Second, fresh air. Try to walk outdoor and breathe in the fresh air for a few minutes. Third, find a soft exercise, like yoga or tai chi, to improve the energy level. I have practiced a "self-saving" exercise for 4 months now. You can find more info in their web site www.zijiu.org. It is free and run by volunteers some of them are cancer survivors. Any kind of exercise will be good for your husband.

Peter

Thanks
    Thanks Peter and everyone else who contributed with their stories. We are taking each day as it comes. How are you doing Peter, haven't heard from you in a while.

Sandi