Working and Chemo

Options
spay2day
spay2day Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
2 weeks ago, on a Monday, got a job offer that I've been wanting for six months. The very next day, Tuesday, went to doctor and found out I have IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer). Had my first Chemo on the next Wed. (things are moving very fast). I start my new job (State position) tomorrow (Monday) and would welcome any advice on coping with fatigue, head aches, etc. Need this job! Talk about bad timing!!

Dotti

Comments

• artizan
    artizan Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Oh my
    Schedule chemo for the end of the week so you have the weekend to recover. Cancel all low priority activities so as to concerve energy. Enlist help from friends and family to do necessary day to day tasks. Take good care of yourself. HUGS
  • spay2day
    Options
    artizan said:

Oh my
    Schedule chemo for the end of the week so you have the weekend to recover. Cancel all low priority activities so as to concerve energy. Enlist help from friends and family to do necessary day to day tasks. Take good care of yourself. HUGS

Work/Chemo
    Thank you for the advice. The unknown is so very un-nerving. I've made it 4 days so far since first treatment and all has gone ok I guess. Nest treatment in 2 1/2 weeks on Friday. None of the usual side affects. Just fatigue and bad head aches. I'm sure mostly due to stress, depression over the newness of the situation. Any ideas on nutrition boosters? Dr. says no vitamins!
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    spay2day said:

Work/Chemo
    Thank you for the advice. The unknown is so very un-nerving. I've made it 4 days so far since first treatment and all has gone ok I guess. Nest treatment in 2 1/2 weeks on Friday. None of the usual side affects. Just fatigue and bad head aches. I'm sure mostly due to stress, depression over the newness of the situation. Any ideas on nutrition boosters? Dr. says no vitamins!

Drink tons of water. Eat
    Drink tons of water. Eat tons of vegetables, raw when possible (some people say wash them carefully during chemo). Cut back or eliminate sugar, alchohol and caffiene. Listen to your body and give it what it is asking for. Honestly, even though I am mostly a vegetarian my body asked for a Macdonalds burger a couple of times during chemo. I always liked the saying, everything in moderation, including moderation! I found that coming to this site helped me deal emotionally. Reading about other people going through what I am or those who already been through it was wonderful. Also, writing and trying to be helpful helped me. Best of all is when I found myself laughing (we have some funny people on this site.) There is another saying...I can cry with the best of them and laugh with the rest of them. Sometimes sharing some pain was helpful and this is a safe place to do that. You seem very brave. I am glad that you are having a relatively easy time so far. No reason to anticipate otherwise! Just love yourself like crazy. love, Joyce
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Be as open as you feel is
    Be as open as you feel is appropriate with your boss about how your treatments are affecting your ability to do the job as you go along. For example, most treatments take several hours, so treatments may require you take time off. You will learn what days will be your good days and what days will be your bad days. For example, some people feel bad the day of and the day after, some people feel OK then, but feel worse the third day, etc. You might schedule less stressful tasks for the days you feel better, or see if there is some work you can do from home (if you feel up to it). Drinking lots of water and eating as healthy as you are able to will help you cope. Your Chemo nurses can give you good suggestions too. Then there are some people who get through chemo without having to miss work at all...maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. The main thing to remember is that chemo is temporary. You will get through it and be able to enjoy your new job to the fullest on the other side.

Live as well as you can for as long as you can. seof
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Welcome Dotti to our
    Welcome Dotti to our sisterhood and brotherhood. I had my chemo on Fridays because that way I had the weekend to recuperate. I was still tired on Monday but was able to deal with the nausea better. Drink lots of water to flush out the chemicals and eat a lot of protein. They say protein helps with the nausea. Accept as much help as is offered, your body needs to relax and rest during this time. Right now you need to concentrate on battling this disease. Talk to your immediate supervisor or office manager about your situation because there will be times when you need to have some time off to go to chemo. Take a multivitamin daily and buy a tub of lysol wipes and wipe down every surface, especially at your new office. You need to avoid getting sick. The rest is basically common sense, if it doesn't feel right to you then don't do it. If you develop a fever call the oncologist right away. As we go through chemo our immune systems are compromised and we can't fight off viruses in the same way. Best of luck. Hugs, Lili
  • Irishwhispers
    Irishwhispers Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Every dark cloud does have
    a silver lining!! Welcome to "Silver" Dotti...
    Sorry that you have a need for us... but you will find the most
    incredible caring and compassionate people on the planet at this site,
    I speak first hand, as I stumbled in here myself 2 months after being diagnosed.

and well, I have never been in a safer place!

I have just finished 4 cycles of adriamycin and cytoxan... my treatments were scheduled
    for Thursdays and the first 2 treatments I was able to go back to work on Monday or Tuesday

Just remember to take good care of you. Plenty of fluids, protein, and rest.
    Oh and yes!! lots of visits to chat... when it is up and running... its a great way to release some worries and get to know us.

Lots of love,

Trish
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Try drinking lots of water,
    Try drinking lots of water, eat frequent small meals and get plenty of rest. I found that eating whatever foods tasted good at the time was best for me because there were days when I didn't feel like eating much. You can worry about a healthy diet after chemo. Limited exercise like a treadmill might help the fatigue. My oncologist also recommended no vitamins until after chemo. You're not required to tell your employer about your health issue, but telling a supervisor would be wise in case of appointments or illness. Come back often to this site for suggestions or questions. This is a great place to learm more about our common concerns and then decide what works best for you. Good luck!
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Derbygirl said:

Try drinking lots of water,
    Try drinking lots of water, eat frequent small meals and get plenty of rest. I found that eating whatever foods tasted good at the time was best for me because there were days when I didn't feel like eating much. You can worry about a healthy diet after chemo. Limited exercise like a treadmill might help the fatigue. My oncologist also recommended no vitamins until after chemo. You're not required to tell your employer about your health issue, but telling a supervisor would be wise in case of appointments or illness. Come back often to this site for suggestions or questions. This is a great place to learm more about our common concerns and then decide what works best for you. Good luck!

P.S. Don't forget to get a
    P.S. Don't forget to get a flu shot!
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Derbygirl said:

P.S. Don't forget to get a
    P.S. Don't forget to get a flu shot!

LOL Derbygirl, I forgot
    LOL Derbygirl, I forgot about that in my advice. Hugs, Lili
  • spay2day
    Options

LOL Derbygirl, I forgot
    LOL Derbygirl, I forgot about that in my advice. Hugs, Lili

Work/Chemo
    Thank you all for your advice! It's been 2 1/2 weeks since diagnosis and everything has been going like a whirlwind. I'm loading up on bottled water to take to work. Thank you for being here!!!