When is safe to color the hair?

Options
sylva
sylva Member Posts: 80
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My hair is growing back slowly but strong. I colored it for so many years, that I'm really not sure if all the white hair I have now is new, after the chemo, or if it was that way before I lost it. I'm still using the wig, when going out, but I think in a couple of weeks I will decide to go out without it.
Does anyone know when is safe to color it again?
Thank you!

Comments

• ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    my opinion
    Sounds like we're at about the same stage with our hair growing back. I have talked to many other survivors and found out my experience is fairly typical: at first my hair grew back white, then changed to gray. It is very fine, but others have told me that it comes back fine at first, then gets thicker. I sure hope so, because I used to have beautiful, thick hair that grew fast.

Regarding hair coloring, I am using the non-permanent dyes like Loving Care. I think I will keep on doing this until my hair gets to a reasonable length and thickness. I don't think there's a clear answer on 'when,' but this is what I have decided to do.

Hope this helps, Ohilly
  • artizan
    artizan Member Posts: 59
    Options
    natural haircolor
    I don't know when (if ever) it is safe to color your hair but I found a brand sold through my food coop called Herbatint. It does not have ammonia or peroxide and works as well as any other coloring I have used. It is made by a European company. Herbatint is permanent and they also have a semipermanent version.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I colored mine as soon as I
    I colored mine as soon as I could see that it was grey and white instead of blond. I now color it every five weeks or so. No problems. Even if you wait, the sensitive little beginning hairs are still as fine, just further down the shaft. For me, coloring has been no problem and no harm done (except I need to use a lot of conditioner). Are you finding your hair to be more curly? Mine is a mass of curls and it used to be straight. Also, I ditched my wig as soon as I had a 6:00 shadow. I got lots of complements on my daringly short hair! I wore fancy dangly earrings and hit the eye makeup a little harder to compensate for lack of hair. It was a fun look. Best wishes, beautiful! love, Joyce
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    I started coloring my hair
    I started coloring my hair when it was about an inch long. At first it came in very curly, then went back to my natural waves that I had before chemo. Hugs, Lili
  • sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Options
    THANK YOU...
    Thank you for your answers!! I know it's not the most important, but for a woman the hair IS IMPORTANT!!! My husband laughs, in the good way, because he's been loosing his hair for a long time and now we can check each other and see who has it longer. I used to have kind of wavy, but now is coming very straight... "Hairy" hugs to everyone!! :)
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    sylva said:

THANK YOU...
    Thank you for your answers!! I know it's not the most important, but for a woman the hair IS IMPORTANT!!! My husband laughs, in the good way, because he's been loosing his hair for a long time and now we can check each other and see who has it longer. I used to have kind of wavy, but now is coming very straight... "Hairy" hugs to everyone!! :)

HAIR WOES
    I agree I colored mine at about an inch high, and I felt oh so much better when it was done! :-) Your story about your husband gave me a chuckle, my husband has been losing his hair since we said "I do" 30 years ago. He just couldn't understand why my head was always cold, I would tell him it's because I usually have a mop of hair on my head not just a few strays! It was rather comical. My best to you and thanks for the "hairy" hug!

RE