Restrictions after treatment

Options
Derbygirl
Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished chemo on 10/31 and getting ready to start radiation. A vacation (cruise) is in the plan for early 2009 and wondered what are restrictions following treatment. I forgot to ask the oncologist about this, but will do so next month. Any advice?

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    No restrictions
    Hi Derbygirl

Live life to its fullest. Go have a great time. Celebrate finishing your treatments.

There are no restrictions. It's time to start living your life again and finding a new normal.

After rads you might feel a bit tired. So be kind to yourself and be sure to rest all you can before starting the cruise (you lucky dog). Take care of your skin during rads. Be sure to use plenty of good lotion on the treated area. They should give you some at your treatment center.

Hope you have a great time.
    Jadie
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree...enjoy yourself! I
    I agree...enjoy yourself! I used Aquaphor, an intense moisturizer like vaseline, but a bit softer. You can get it at any pharmacy. You might be tired and the radiated area will still feel and look severely sunburned, so keep it covered with sunscreen or clothes to keep the sun from radiating it more. Otherwise, do what you feel like doing.

Have a good trip, seof
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    One very important restriction---don't over stress the arm on your effected side by holding your margarita glass too long---switch hands. LOL

And the only other restriction for a cruise after getting chemo, and rads--- you cannot frown--I dare you to even try---you won't be able to!!!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    You say you forgot to ask
    You say you forgot to ask the oncologist...I say, during the cruise, forget your oncologist too! Have a wonderful time. Heal like crazy. love, Joyce
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Cruise
    Very very funny!!! I think you are just bragging that you are going on a vacation! :-)!!!!

Forgot to ask your oncologist? HA HA HA!!! The only restriction I can imagine is...you are restricted from even THINKING about cancer, or treatment, or anything even remotely connected to it! The restriction is lifted when you get off the ship~You may resume thinking about "it" only so that you can come in here and tell all of us how AWESOME your cruise was!!!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    You lucky dawg you, the only
    You lucky dawg you, the only restriction I can think of is enjoy yourself and watch with the sun. Have a margarita on us. Happy cruising. Lili