Brushing Teeth; Heart Burn

Options
NicoleYauger
NicoleYauger Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My mother always seems to get sick when it comes time to brush her teeth. Does anyone else going through chemo have this problem? She uses a soft tooth brush but we were wondering if anyone could suggest a good tooth paste. Maybe something with very little taste.

Also, she is having horrible heartburn and she never had heartburn prior to chemo. She would just like to know if anyone eles out there has had this problem and what she could do to make it better. Tums have helped alittle. She has those horrible soars in her throat and the heartburn doesnt help.

Hugs, Hope, and positive energy to all.
Thanks,
Nicole

Comments

• Irishwhispers
    Irishwhispers Member Posts: 96
    Options
    Heartburn... Ouch!
    Hi Nicole
    I am not sure this will help your mom or not but ... maybe baking soda for brushing teeth
    and I did experience awful .. acid reflux... after treatment... my suggestion is to call the onco .. they told me I could take Zantac... but, truly the best thing to do is check with the doctor before you try anything.. they need to know what side effects your mom is experiencing... and they can prescribe remedies accordingly.

best wishes to you & your mom

Trish
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    HI NICOLE
    I had the same toothbrush issue, each time i would brush I would get the gag reflex. I usually would brush with very little paste and just take my time in an attempt to thoart the gag reflex.

The sores in the mouth can be helped with an Alum rinse (alum is a spice and can be found in the supermarket.) Although it is not immediate relief it worked so well that my son and daughter keep Alum in their medicine chest at home.

Just like Irish my doctor gave me Zantac as well for the tummy problems. Hope this helps a bit. Best wishes to you and your mom.

RE
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Toothpaste & Mouth Wash
    I had the same problem and my doctors recommended Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. It's not cheap but it contains no alcohol and therefore no burning. They also had me gargle and rinse my mouth several times a day with a solution of baking soda and salt. I believe it was 1/2 tsp of each in 8oz. of water. It gave me some relief. Hope this helps your mom. Marilynn
  • kit45
    kit45 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Toothpaste & Mouth Wash
    I had the same problem and my doctors recommended Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. It's not cheap but it contains no alcohol and therefore no burning. They also had me gargle and rinse my mouth several times a day with a solution of baking soda and salt. I believe it was 1/2 tsp of each in 8oz. of water. It gave me some relief. Hope this helps your mom. Marilynn

Biotene
    Biotene worked for me too. My teeth were very sensitive. Hope it helps. Love, Kit
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Nicole, I used sensodyne for
    Nicole, I used sensodyne for toothpaste and for heartburn I used prilosec and continued to used it for the whole time I was in treatment. Hugs to both of you, Lili
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi Nicole
    My doctor gave me

Hi Nicole

My doctor gave me a prescription pill for acid reflux. I forget the name but I took it regularly and had no problems.

Jadie
  • artizan
    artizan Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Gag reflex
    I find it helpful to use a toothbrush with a very small head, like a child size.