Options
2»

Comments

• Mumphie
    Mumphie Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2021 #22
    Options
    Chemo vs masectomy

In the middle of June I found I have breast cancer in both breasts. L has a walnut sized tumor, the R has sand sized throughout. It seems it is de rigueur here to hav chemo first (they want me to have 6 that include hormone blockers) then wait and see, then possibly have the masectomy and finish a year of chemo or the blockers, for a years worth. I know all cancer is different...but my cousin also had hormone driven cancer in her breast and didn't have chemo, just the masectomy. I was just wondering what the right answer is. My town is small and has very few doctors, yet it is a CENTER since nothing else is around.  To get to Wichita it would be 3 1/2 hours, 5 1/2 to Kansas City. They wanted to have me get a portal before I even had a second opnion, which they made me feel like I was wrong to do so, even if the 'go-between' person told me to.

I guess I am struggling on what to do, and what advice I should have. Truthfully I'd rather get rid of everything and just go masectomy, but that may not be the right thing to do.

Suggestions? It seems there are as many answers as people.

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Oncotype DX test

This  test will determine whether you need chemo or not.  Please request from your doctor.  I would travel to a major city to get a second opinion...I always have.  Good luck with your treatments.