Medicare coverage

kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I have a question about Medicare for those veteran Medicare users. For the future, if I have to go back to the States, I will need to get some kind of insurance.I paid cash for all of my US treatment this last year, and I won't be able to do that again if I have a recurrence. (I am on Japanese national insurance now, which is great but doesn't cover outside the country.) How does one qualify for Medicare? Is it based on income? As someone already dx with OVCA, would they refuse me? How soon does it kick in, once you apply?

Thanks!
kathleen
in Japan

Comments

• kayandok
    PS
    PS I may be having a recurrence, but that is for another post another day.....
    k
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Kathleen
    Medicare is a tricky and confusing insurance,I'll try to help you out as much as I can. Have you worked in the US to be qualified for medicare?? If so there is 2 types of insirance that you might qualify for. First you have to apply for SSI/SSDI disability. Having ovca will get you automactically approved. It took me 2 months to be approaved. Then depending on the length of time on these 2 disabilties and the amount you get in benefits....you will be offerred to types of insurances Medicaid for the 1st two years your on disabilty and Medicare Ins if you have been on disabilty for over 2 years. You will qualify for SSDI no matter how much money you have or if you have a husband..SSI bases their eligibility on how much income you have. To begin this long and confusing action call Social Security and tell them about your medical problem. They can either send the paper work and then schedule an appointment or you can do a telephone appointment and save some time. Good luck~~~~Joanne
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Medicare
    If you are 65 and have paid into Social Security and Medicare you can apply in any Social Security office.
    Then you have arrange payment for the monthly premium and also purchase a Medigap policy that pays the 20% that medicare doesn't pay. If you are under 65 years of age the above would be the route, I would think. Should you purchase an independent policy from any company, most likely they would not cover any expense related to your ovarian cancer, "preexisting condition". My son in Japan has that problem of coming back to the states unless he is under his "company" plan. He has ankylosing spondilitis, an arthritis of the spine that is causing his spine to fuse. He eventually will be disabled. So far the Japanese system is working pretty good for him. You can read about medicare and others on the internet. It is part of the federal Social Security Program. I don't know anything about Medicade. (((Hugs and Prayers))) Saundra
  • kayandok
    Thanks!
    Joanne and Saundra, thank you so much. This is a big help. It's helping me sort out who to call and what to google...

I tried calling the offices, and Medicare was actually there and very helpful. Social Security was closed so I will try tomorrow. I wonder what they will need for me to prove my OVCA dx. A note from my doctor?

Thanks again ladies,

Take care,
    kathleen
    in Japan
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    kayandok said:

Thanks!
    Joanne and Saundra, thank you so much. This is a big help. It's helping me sort out who to call and what to google...

I tried calling the offices, and Medicare was actually there and very helpful. Social Security was closed so I will try tomorrow. I wonder what they will need for me to prove my OVCA dx. A note from my doctor?

Thanks again ladies,

Take care,
    kathleen
    in Japan

Kathleen
    There will be paperwork that you will fill out,and if I remember correctly they will contact your Onc. Since I don't have a copy of that paperwork I would assume that they contact your DR. They will also check with hospitals for surgery dates and etc. Good luck!!~~~Joanne