Do I HAVE to have a Mammogram?

Options
tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My oncologist has deigned to see me again in 4 months. His nurse gave me a form to get a mammogram done "sometime before that appointment". The last one I had was in October last year and showed absolutely nothing wrong, even though I had a lump the size of a golf ball that was visible to the eye. Ultrasound showed it. But they said my breasts were too dense for the mammogram. Call me a wuss but that mammogram nearly did me in, and that was BEFORE I had all this surgery, chemo and radiation. I am sure that I will not be able to stand it as I am still very lumpy and VERY tender there. And it won't show anything anyway. What is the point? Can I get away with NOT doing this? Without enraging "Dr Charm School"?
Any comments appreciated. Julia

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Julia: Sorry you are
    Hi Julia: Sorry you are having such a hard time but I do think you should get the mammo. I am surprised that they haven't ordered an ultrasound also considering that you do have dense breasts. Call the nurse and see what she suggests. Luck to you, Lili
  • tasha_111
    Options

Hi Julia: Sorry you are
    Hi Julia: Sorry you are having such a hard time but I do think you should get the mammo. I am surprised that they haven't ordered an ultrasound also considering that you do have dense breasts. Call the nurse and see what she suggests. Luck to you, Lili

Lili
    Hi. I will call the nurse, the oncologist never even mentioned it or I would have argued the toss with him. I don't think I can do this. Thanks for the reply Julia X
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Sorry - but YES!
    I'm so sorry, but yes, you really should get the mammogram. I, too, was very sore from the surgery and radiation burns, but my oncologist said that once I had passed the three month mark after finishing treatment that I needed to have one. The technician was very quick and made the experience as pleasant as she possibly could. It won't lie, there was some real discomfort, but when I got the results that said everything appeared to be benign, I was one happy camper. Hope this gives you a little courage. Marilynn
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    painful tests
    I am small breasted with one dense breast(right mastectomy 6 years ago). To get a good picture, I swear those plates almost touch! I can't say that it bothers me much, especially since I usually figure it is my life at stake. I knew that after the surgery they needed a really good picture because they had to get a new baseline. Knowing that the test was important helps me. They will compare future shots with the new baseline. Usually the mamograms are once a year after the baseline shot. It will be sooner if they are looking at a concern (problem cysts or a spot of calcifications). Another reason they do so many exams the first two years is that if cancer is going to show its ugly face again, it is most likely to do so in those first two years. Catching a reoccurance early is best, so they check you a lot. But part of the fact that I don't mind so much is that my nerves aren't really all that sensitive. It sounds like your problem is the pain issue. You don't want it to hurt and it hurt you a lot last time. You may be a lot more sensitive than me. (You didn't say if you were a redhead, but I read somewhere that red haired folks have more pain sensor nerves than other folks. I don't have red hair.) Anyhow,you might call the radiologist in advance and ask him or her as the EXPERT (flattery helps when you are asking for a favor...)what drug or method might make your next mammogram closer to painfree. There's a lot of meds around that can either knock the pain or knock you out. What does the doctor recommend? Mind you, you would need a designated driver to get you home afterward! Maybe acuputure works, or something else. But if you can make it through the test painfree, both you and your oncologist will be happy. It is not being a baby to ask for help that you need so that you can follow the doctor's recommendations. Stand your ground and get the help you need given the sensitivity of the nerves you have. Good luck!

C. Abbott
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Mammos
    Hello Julia,

I am so sorry you have to go through this but the mammogram is very important to your well being. I have mine yearly (or more often is there appears to be a problem) and it is painful because the one breast is dense and tight from the surgery and the radiation. I realize this is difficult for you however, it is necessary for the doctors to be able to find any future cancers as early as possible. Perhaps you could express your feelings to your doctor or the nurse, they may be able to give you meds that will take the edge off when you go in for your mamogram. I agree that Ultrasounds may be another option for you that you should discuss with your doctor. My best to you, I wish you well!

RE
  • tasha_111
    Options
    RE said:

Mammos
    Hello Julia,

I am so sorry you have to go through this but the mammogram is very important to your well being. I have mine yearly (or more often is there appears to be a problem) and it is painful because the one breast is dense and tight from the surgery and the radiation. I realize this is difficult for you however, it is necessary for the doctors to be able to find any future cancers as early as possible. Perhaps you could express your feelings to your doctor or the nurse, they may be able to give you meds that will take the edge off when you go in for your mamogram. I agree that Ultrasounds may be another option for you that you should discuss with your doctor. My best to you, I wish you well!

RE

Mammos
    I just can't see why I have to go through this painful process when it will show nothing. Last time they said because of my age my breasts were too dense fot the mammo, now they want me to have another one?.... I am only 1 year older... Scared to death
  • tasha_111
    Options
    cabbott said:

painful tests
    I am small breasted with one dense breast(right mastectomy 6 years ago). To get a good picture, I swear those plates almost touch! I can't say that it bothers me much, especially since I usually figure it is my life at stake. I knew that after the surgery they needed a really good picture because they had to get a new baseline. Knowing that the test was important helps me. They will compare future shots with the new baseline. Usually the mamograms are once a year after the baseline shot. It will be sooner if they are looking at a concern (problem cysts or a spot of calcifications). Another reason they do so many exams the first two years is that if cancer is going to show its ugly face again, it is most likely to do so in those first two years. Catching a reoccurance early is best, so they check you a lot. But part of the fact that I don't mind so much is that my nerves aren't really all that sensitive. It sounds like your problem is the pain issue. You don't want it to hurt and it hurt you a lot last time. You may be a lot more sensitive than me. (You didn't say if you were a redhead, but I read somewhere that red haired folks have more pain sensor nerves than other folks. I don't have red hair.) Anyhow,you might call the radiologist in advance and ask him or her as the EXPERT (flattery helps when you are asking for a favor...)what drug or method might make your next mammogram closer to painfree. There's a lot of meds around that can either knock the pain or knock you out. What does the doctor recommend? Mind you, you would need a designated driver to get you home afterward! Maybe acuputure works, or something else. But if you can make it through the test painfree, both you and your oncologist will be happy. It is not being a baby to ask for help that you need so that you can follow the doctor's recommendations. Stand your ground and get the help you need given the sensitivity of the nerves you have. Good luck!

C. Abbott

cabbott
    Do I not have any options in my treatments? I feel so totally out of control here and I am facing another barrage of painful tests..........do I have the right to say no?... I'm sorry for all these questions but you seem to know where you are coming from. I am from england and don't really understand the health system here at all. My oncologist is like "I don't answer questions. My time is precious,kick up the back-side, Now get out of my office!" If I don't laugh at him I would cry.If i thought this test would show what was wrong, sure I'd have it.. But it does not so what is the point? Sorry panic mode here.......julia
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Mammos
    I just can't see why I have to go through this painful process when it will show nothing. Last time they said because of my age my breasts were too dense fot the mammo, now they want me to have another one?.... I am only 1 year older... Scared to death

There is a walk in clinic at
    There is a walk in clinic at Kaiser. That is how I managed my last mammo. Just walked in without having to schedule and worry ahead of time. Now I just need to wait out the we'll call you if we have terrible news phase. But, if and when I get the all clear, the feeling of relief will be worth it. As bad as anticipating it seems is as good as getting it over is gonna seem. And we will be right here if you want to complain a little. I did (see not balanced yet post), just recently, but still, I am glad I went. love you, and I understand, Joyce
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

cabbott
    Do I not have any options in my treatments? I feel so totally out of control here and I am facing another barrage of painful tests..........do I have the right to say no?... I'm sorry for all these questions but you seem to know where you are coming from. I am from england and don't really understand the health system here at all. My oncologist is like "I don't answer questions. My time is precious,kick up the back-side, Now get out of my office!" If I don't laugh at him I would cry.If i thought this test would show what was wrong, sure I'd have it.. But it does not so what is the point? Sorry panic mode here.......julia

Options
    When I was a kid my mom made me go to the dentist. I didn't mind going to the doctor, but I HATED going to the dentist. I had to. I went. If you knew my mom, you'd know I didn't have a choice. Then I grew up. Nobody makes me go to the dentist now. I know my teeth need to be seen at least every six months to a year to prevent major problems. My mom told me that when I was a kid, my teachers told me that, the health magazines agreed, and the dentist told me that too. I still HATE to go to the dentist. To make matter worse, now I have to pay for it when I go. And I go every 6 months to a year because I know I should. I still HATE it. And I go anyhow. I go because I like having teeth. I go because I want to be healthy even more than I HATE going to the dentist.

I don't know what the medical system is like where you are, but around here nobody would make you go get a mammogram any more than they would make you go to the dentist. You could refuse treatment. The doctor might drop you as a non-compliant patient because he wouldn't want to be responsible for you getting an advanced cancer because you wouldn't do the test he recommends to catch things early, but he wouldn't make you go. If I had a doctor that wouldn't listen to my concerns about pain here, I would look for a different doctor. As soon as I found a better one, I would drop the old one. Here that is possible. If I have a car and the right insurance, I could go to any number of doctors for treatment. I don't know what your choices are where you are. But I do know that you really need at least a yearly mammogram between now and age 70 or so. If anything iffy is showing up on the slides, you may need them every six months until they are certain that nothing worrisome is developing. Not all cancers can be felt, not all show up on mammograms, not all show up on ultrasounds. Of the three, mammograms seem to find them the earliest and most often. Finding cancer sooner rather than later gives more options for treatment and surgery. It may result in a cure. You probably have been told that by medical experts. You can read it in health magazines. You can listen to the other survivors or check out this website for facts on mammograms and other tests to monitor health and cancer concerns. But you have to decide for yourself what is best for you. Even though I have dense breasts, they were still able to find two cancers growing in my right breast while I was still at stage 1. Dense doesn't mean that nothing shows up. With age your breasts naturally becomes less dense. Some of the cancer treatments also result in making your breasts less dense. So consider your choices and do what you think is best for you. I still hope that you can find a way to have a less painful mammogram. Good luck!

C. Abbott
  • tasha_111
    Options

There is a walk in clinic at
    There is a walk in clinic at Kaiser. That is how I managed my last mammo. Just walked in without having to schedule and worry ahead of time. Now I just need to wait out the we'll call you if we have terrible news phase. But, if and when I get the all clear, the feeling of relief will be worth it. As bad as anticipating it seems is as good as getting it over is gonna seem. And we will be right here if you want to complain a little. I did (see not balanced yet post), just recently, but still, I am glad I went. love you, and I understand, Joyce

Mammos
    Thank you all for your support and help. I guess I will just have to suck it up and keep my fingers crossed that it is not too awful. Thanks again all. Julia