HELLLP

Options
jeagardner
jeagardner Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am now in chemo(CMF)treatments for invasive ductal carcinoma grade 3 in the right breast and have now discovered a red angry bump on the other breast real close to the nipple. It hurts when ever tuched or rubbed. Some skin has peeled off. I can't get to a Dr. until Monday but i'm freaking out now.
Any one had this happed to them?

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    No, that didn't happen to
    No, that didn't happen to me. Monday is tomorrow so you don't have long to wait. I know it can seem like an eternity when waiting for something as important as this. What helped me when I had to wait for appointments was to keep busy and keep my mind off of the problem.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is hard to
    I agree that it is hard to wait. The center I go to has a number to call after hours where you can talk to a nurse. Do you have such a number? My guess would be that whatever it is, waiting till tomorrow will not be a "make it or break it" decision. My guess would be that it is a reaction to the chemo, but definitely ask your Dr.

Here's hoping it will turn out to be easily treated. seof
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Are you worried that it is cancer? Red bumps that hurt can be lots of things, but when we have been diagnosed with cancer that's often all we imagine. You can also get a lot of infections when you are on chemo since your immune system is lower than usual. You could call the doctor or nurse on call to find out what to do between now and Monday morning. I get infected skin follicles that could be descibed as angry red bumps all the time and I'm not even on chemo. They hurt and feel warm to the touch. A warm damp washcloth seems to help as does a warm shower. Careful. If it is an infection, you need to be extra careful about hygiene so it doesn't spread. But given your history (and mine), I'd still go see the doctor to check it out tomorrow. Even if it turns out to be a boil or something along that line, you may need an antibiotic to get it to clear up. Plus you will sleep better once the doctor tells you what it is. Good luck!
  • jeagardner
    Options
    cabbott said:

Are you worried that it is cancer? Red bumps that hurt can be lots of things, but when we have been diagnosed with cancer that's often all we imagine. You can also get a lot of infections when you are on chemo since your immune system is lower than usual. You could call the doctor or nurse on call to find out what to do between now and Monday morning. I get infected skin follicles that could be descibed as angry red bumps all the time and I'm not even on chemo. They hurt and feel warm to the touch. A warm damp washcloth seems to help as does a warm shower. Careful. If it is an infection, you need to be extra careful about hygiene so it doesn't spread. But given your history (and mine), I'd still go see the doctor to check it out tomorrow. Even if it turns out to be a boil or something along that line, you may need an antibiotic to get it to clear up. Plus you will sleep better once the doctor tells you what it is. Good luck!

Many thanks to all
    Thanks to all for your notes.
    Yes I did think it was another cancer, it was very swollen and hot to the touch. Several layers of skin peeled off like it was burnt.
    Waiting has always been very hard for me to do, and I do not have numbers to ask questions.
    But, the Dr. said I probably bruised a milk duct when I fell face first 10 days ago.
    I only had pain in the surgery area of the right breast but I guess I hurt more than that.
    He says he does not THINK it's another cancer, so warm wet heat compresses, antibiotics
    and wants to check it Thursday.
    When I took my shower this morning it was leaking pus and blood-I'm way to emotional to deal with this stuff. I'm already on Zoloft and Wellbutrin and they don't seem to help much.
    Again thanks for your help.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

Many thanks to all
    Yes I did think it was another cancer, it was very swollen and hot to the touch. Several layers of skin peeled off like it was burnt.
    Waiting has always been very hard for me to do, and I do not have numbers to ask questions.
    But, the Dr. said I probably bruised a milk duct when I fell face first 10 days ago.
    I only had pain in the surgery area of the right breast but I guess I hurt more than that.
    He says he does not THINK it's another cancer, so warm wet heat compresses, antibiotics
    When I took my shower this morning it was leaking pus and blood-I'm way to emotional to deal with this stuff. I'm already on Zoloft and Wellbutrin and they don't seem to help much.

Since there has been a
    Since there has been a change in your symptoms, perhaps you should call your doctor today and ask to be seen again(today). Not because it is "more serious" now, but because anything you can do to speed up the words "Its just ....and not...." will be a relief. Man, that waiting is the toughest part! Hang in there, sweetheart. Love, Joyce
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options

Since there has been a
    Since there has been a change in your symptoms, perhaps you should call your doctor today and ask to be seen again(today). Not because it is "more serious" now, but because anything you can do to speed up the words "Its just ....and not...." will be a relief. Man, that waiting is the toughest part! Hang in there, sweetheart. Love, Joyce

call the doc
    I agree with Joyce, don't wait till Thursday. The antibiotics may not be strong enough. If you call them and tell them what is happening they may just order a stronger antibiotic. Sending a get well soon (((hug)))!

RE
  • artizan
    artizan Member Posts: 59
    Options

Many thanks to all

Sounds like an Infection.....
    Can I assume that you went to see the doctor just yesterday? It sounds as though you are now on an antibiotic which will take a day or two (at least) to start working. The warm compresses should help relieve the pain and pressure. Seeing the doctor Thursday seems reasonable. Try not to worry. Did they say you could take something for pain? I was on two different antidepressants during my treatment; one and then the other. Sometimes doctors have to experiment with different ones to find the right one for you. If you don't feel that the Zoloft and Wellbutrin are working you should take that up with your doctor. Try to relax!!!!!!!
  • jeagardner
    Options

Since there has been a

I'm OK now
    By the way Joyce was also my mothers first name.
    I'm Feeling much better now, compresses have releived the pain and meds seem to be clearing it up. The swelling has gone down, which is also great
    All the drainage happened the in the morning Monday and Dr. visit was later that afternoon.
    I was also scheduled for blood work so we'll see what says later.
    No matter what I do I'm just not prepared enough to take this stuff in stride. I know all sorts of strange will be happenning as long as I'm on this chemo stuff.
    You gals are great
  • jeagardner
    Options
    artizan said:

Sounds like an Infection.....
    Can I assume that you went to see the doctor just yesterday? It sounds as though you are now on an antibiotic which will take a day or two (at least) to start working. The warm compresses should help relieve the pain and pressure. Seeing the doctor Thursday seems reasonable. Try not to worry. Did they say you could take something for pain? I was on two different antidepressants during my treatment; one and then the other. Sometimes doctors have to experiment with different ones to find the right one for you. If you don't feel that the Zoloft and Wellbutrin are working you should take that up with your doctor. Try to relax!!!!!!!

I think you are probably right
    My spelling is horrid.
    I'm OK now, it seem to be getting better.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

I'm OK now
    By the way Joyce was also my mothers first name.
    I'm Feeling much better now, compresses have releived the pain and meds seem to be clearing it up. The swelling has gone down, which is also great
    All the drainage happened the in the morning Monday and Dr. visit was later that afternoon.
    I was also scheduled for blood work so we'll see what says later.
    No matter what I do I'm just not prepared enough to take this stuff in stride. I know all sorts of strange will be happenning as long as I'm on this chemo stuff.
    You gals are great

You are great too! Aren't
    You are great too! Aren't these scares horrible? The only good part is when they turn out to be nothing and you can breath a heavenly relief sigh. Keep us posted. love, JOyce
  • young_one
    young_one Member Posts: 67
    Options

My spelling is horrid.

I am going to guess, since
    oops wrong post

Sorry
  • artizan
    artizan Member Posts: 59
    Options

My spelling is horrid.

Glad its better
    I'm glad you are feeling better and that it is clearing up. Its so hard not to jump to the most horrible conclusions when things happen to you.