Starting Abraxane and Herceptin...

Options
CR1954
CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all!

I have finished with A/C and am starting Abraxane and Herceptin today. Abraxane for the next four infusions and Herceptin for the next year. Not sure what to expect. Can anyone give me any info?

Thanks,
CR

Comments

• Sbfairy
    Sbfairy Member Posts: 3
    Options
    My mother takes herceptin.
    My mother takes herceptin. From what I understand you should have few if any side effects, but in some people herceptin can cause flu like symptoms. My mother was taking herceptin along with taxotere. She was very ill and had a lot of flu like symptoms such as body aches, etc. That was probably from the taxotere and not the herceptin. She has not had herceptin without taxotere so we just don't know which one caused her side effects. You do need to make sure that you have the occassional Muga scan as herceptin can have some cardiac toxicity. Hope this helps.
  • TammyLouBob
    TammyLouBob Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Abraxane is a taxane, like taxotere and taxol.
    Get some Pepcid A/C for heartburn...just in case.

It is not unusual to have watery eyes.

Your fingernails (and toenails) may be affected. Commonly they turn ugly colors, peel, flake, etc.

Tammy Lou
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    Options
    I had Taxol/Abraxane and Herceptin
    Hi CR,

I started with weekly treatments of Taxol/Herceptin (12 weeks total). But I kept having allergic reactions to the Taxol that got progressively worse, so they switched me to Abraxane around the 5th week of treatment.

The good thing about Abraxane is that you don't need to take any pre-drugs to counter any effects of an allergic reaction.....because there's no risk for an allergic reaction with Abraxane. So it was nice to not have to take the dexamethasone and benadryl anymore.

During my 2rd-6th treatment I would get soooooo cold around the 2nd or 3rd day post infusion. Sooooo cold that I walked around the house with a winter coat, gloves and hat on my head. Even lying under layers of blankets didn't help. But eventually that symptom went away. I think that was from the Herceptin.

With Taxol/Abraxane I did have some long bone pain. Did you ever have growing pains in your shins when you were growing up? I got them all the time. It feels kind of like that, maybe a bit stronger.

I finished my 12 weeks of treatment in March and my memory of all the side effects has diminished.....so maybe that's a good thing! I'm continuing Herceptin through January. The only side effect with the Herceptin now some loose stools for a few days post treatment. And of course, they'll need to do a MUGA or Dexa scan of your heart periodically.

Though you've already started your treatment, I hope this helps some. And since you are going every 3 weeks, your dosage will be higher than what I received. So the side effects may be different.

Chellebug
  • CrystalW
    CrystalW Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Sbfairy said:

My mother takes herceptin.
    My mother takes herceptin. From what I understand you should have few if any side effects, but in some people herceptin can cause flu like symptoms. My mother was taking herceptin along with taxotere. She was very ill and had a lot of flu like symptoms such as body aches, etc. That was probably from the taxotere and not the herceptin. She has not had herceptin without taxotere so we just don't know which one caused her side effects. You do need to make sure that you have the occassional Muga scan as herceptin can have some cardiac toxicity. Hope this helps.

Herceptin and taxol
    After my A/C regimen I took Taxol once a week for 12 weeks then started Herceptin by itself once a week for 52 weeks. Took a while for the side effects of the taxol to go away but once they subsided I had no side effects from the Herceptin. Herceptin was a breeze, at least for me. Good Luck and take care
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    herceptin
    I take her2 every 3 weeks (for almost a year now). easy I have never missed work over taking her2. I will finished in FEB.09 good luck
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a tumor board!!!
    I am storing all of this info for my patient partners....

Thanks LOADS, guys!!!

Hugs, Kathi