hair texture

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay, I will try one more time: no one responded to my most recent post on hair! My hair now covers my head, but I hate it because it's really thin. I used to have really thick, beautiful hair that grew very rapidly. I had Taxotere/Cytoxan (4 treatments): the last treatment was on June 20 and my hair didn't start growing back at all until the beginning of September. Did anyone else with thick hair have it come in thin, and did it stay this way? I am sort of discouraged, although I guess I should be happy that I am cancer free and have hair at all. Ohilly

Comments

• Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    My hair sure seemed fine at
    My hair sure seemed fine at first, but I think it was just because it was short. It didn't even have a chance to double back on itself for a while. But now, I will say it is thicker than before and certainly curlier. Real curly from previously straight. After seven months it is about three inches. Hang in there, girl! And don't forget to go out and buy the supersize of cream rinse. You're going to be needing it. Love, Joyce
  • horsegal
    horsegal Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Ohilly,
    Give that hair some

Ohilly,
    Give that hair some more time. I lost my hair twice because I did chemo, surgery and more chemo. It all fell out with my A/C rounds, then I had my surgery, and just as it was actually starting to look like hair again, I had my rounds of Taxol, and out it came again. My last chemo was in October, and it started growing in very slowly this time around and by the time my husband deployed in March, it was finally longer than his army buzz cut, but not by much! It seemed to stay in that really short stage forever and seemed thinner and a lot darker than before, but when it finally did start growing, it came in curly and thick. I had thicker hair before, but it was straight. The curl has stayed with me after two haircuts now. It seems to grow faster now too. I know it can be discouraging at first, but hang in there. Best wishes - Fran
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    HAIR WE GO AGAIN!!!!
    Oh sweet ohilly! It takes about 9 months to a year before you have a full, luxuriant head of hair again! The texture and color can indeed be altered, and even that returns to its former glory! I know you are anxious about it, and we all have been...it is such a big part of who were are, and how we feel about ourselves. Things will in time get better again, and you will be spnding money you don't have on haircuts you now need all too often!!!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • gemsa
    gemsa Member Posts: 22
    Options
    chenheart said:

HAIR WE GO AGAIN!!!!
    Oh sweet ohilly! It takes about 9 months to a year before you have a full, luxuriant head of hair again! The texture and color can indeed be altered, and even that returns to its former glory! I know you are anxious about it, and we all have been...it is such a big part of who were are, and how we feel about ourselves. Things will in time get better again, and you will be spnding money you don't have on haircuts you now need all too often!!!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Takes a while
    Like the other posters said, it does take a while. I had really thick curly hair before, and have it back now. And you will too! Just hang in there.
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    gemsa said:

Takes a while
    Like the other posters said, it does take a while. I had really thick curly hair before, and have it back now. And you will too! Just hang in there.

thanks
    For all those who replied to my latest hair post, thanks! I think part of the reason I am so impatient is because I just want this whole thing to be over. I feel like a toddler sitting on the floor screaming, "I want my life back"! I will try and trust in what everyone has told me, that my hair will come back.

Thanks for all your help and reassurance, Ohilly
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Hair will be ok.
    Ohilly, I had thick hair and mine too came in thin at first. Then it got thick and curly. It stayed very curly for over a year. The crown started to wilt a bit so I got a root body wave perm. I am letting it grow out and curious as to how much curl I have left(I have talked to others who have kept their chemo curls indefinitely). Hang in there, it will thicken up!
  • kit45
    kit45 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Hair will be ok.
    Ohilly, I had thick hair and mine too came in thin at first. Then it got thick and curly. It stayed very curly for over a year. The crown started to wilt a bit so I got a root body wave perm. I am letting it grow out and curious as to how much curl I have left(I have talked to others who have kept their chemo curls indefinitely). Hang in there, it will thicken up!

hair color
    my hair is just a covering but thus far its a little bit of brown, little bit of white,little bit of grey and little bit of black. (funny colored rainbow)

Since I will return to work in December just wondering if its ok to apply a color?? Any suggestions? Thanks, Kit
  • CrystalW
    CrystalW Member Posts: 31
    Options
    ohilly said:

thanks
    For all those who replied to my latest hair post, thanks! I think part of the reason I am so impatient is because I just want this whole thing to be over. I feel like a toddler sitting on the floor screaming, "I want my life back"! I will try and trust in what everyone has told me, that my hair will come back.

Thanks for all your help and reassurance, Ohilly

Hair
    I have been reading all the posts here and I must say that I envy all of you. When my hair started to grow back I thought the one thing I could look forward to was a thick head of curly hair. I even thought I might get a different color. It was just not in the cards for me. I got back the same old straight thin dirty blond (a bit darker than I like) hair. I got ripped off...Oh well, I will take what I have because I am thankful I have it and my health back. So my hair color now comes from a box and that's OK. I discovered in my cancer journey that everyday is a gift that we need to be thankful for regardless if we have hair or not.

Hang in there Ohilly...the hair will come back and you will get your life back. You might find however, as I have, that your life will not be the same as before. Mine got better...Hope yours does to.

Take care
  • CrystalW
    CrystalW Member Posts: 31
    Options
    kit45 said:

hair color
    my hair is just a covering but thus far its a little bit of brown, little bit of white,little bit of grey and little bit of black. (funny colored rainbow)

Since I will return to work in December just wondering if its ok to apply a color?? Any suggestions? Thanks, Kit

Hair color
    I began coloring my hair as soon as it started coming in. I had this really cute little bobbed red wig that I wore when i had no hair and I loved it. So when my hair started to grow, I colored it that color. It was really blonde and you could not see it. I wanted what little hair I did have to stand out. Just make sure you don't over due it as I did. At some point when I had more hair (about shoulder length), I decided I wanted to be blonde again. It is very difficult to get red (and black) color out of hair as I found out. Needless to say I almost ruined what hair I did have at that point. However since your hair is darker I don't think it will hurt it at all. I also found that my hair will not hold a perm any more. Oh well, I am glad I have it. Good luck and take care.
    Crystal
  • kit45
    kit45 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    CrystalW said:

Hair color
    I began coloring my hair as soon as it started coming in. I had this really cute little bobbed red wig that I wore when i had no hair and I loved it. So when my hair started to grow, I colored it that color. It was really blonde and you could not see it. I wanted what little hair I did have to stand out. Just make sure you don't over due it as I did. At some point when I had more hair (about shoulder length), I decided I wanted to be blonde again. It is very difficult to get red (and black) color out of hair as I found out. Needless to say I almost ruined what hair I did have at that point. However since your hair is darker I don't think it will hurt it at all. I also found that my hair will not hold a perm any more. Oh well, I am glad I have it. Good luck and take care.
    Crystal

Hair color
    Thanks Crystal. From your picture, I love your hair color. Kit
  • artizan
    artizan Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Baby hair
    I remember my hair coming back like brand new baby hair, so soft and fine. I had very thick hair straight hair. It came back curly and stayed that way for 3-4 years. Now it is back to being straight and thick. I no longer complain about bad hair days as I figure bad hair is better than no hair. I have not heard of anyone whose hair did not come back one way or another.
  • chewingfoil
    chewingfoil Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I miss my old hair :(
    I notice you posted this long ago, and so you've probably gotten farther along in your hair growth than I am now (considering I started chemo around when you were posting questions about your own regrowth.)

My hair was long, elbow length, and thick. Whenever I got it cut, the stylist would always say something along the lines of "you have SO MUCH HAIR...I should have charged you DOUBLE to cut it!"

My mom was treated with very aggressive chemo in the mid 70s, but I don't know what it was. Her hair, despite being told it would fall out, did not.

My brother was treated for Leukemia, and was told his hair would fall out, and it did. His was blond/sandy brown, and straight, and it grew back black or very dark brown--unfortunately, he died before it got a chance to curl, so I can't comment on any textural differences.

My own hair was medium chestnut brown, and I had a "skunk patch" above my right eye of white hair. I used to touch it up, though :P

I had my last infusion in January and my hair started growing in white, and then filled in to sort of Weimeraner-ish pewter color. And my husband said it was "soft like a bunny."

Now, it's about an inch long, and the color has gotten progressively darker--it's VERY dark in the back, and still sort of silvery/pewter in the front. It hasn't gotten long enough yet to curl, which I'm dreading, but if it does, then c'est la vie.

If it curls, I hope it turns into a big, sexy, crazy afro--curl damnit! I mean REALLY CURL! if not, then I hope it comes back like it was. I just don't want (and won't accept) any lazy half-hearted curling.

Tough love.

Hope you are well :)
  • peggy65
    peggy65 Member Posts: 100
    Options

I notice you posted this long ago, and so you've probably gotten farther along in your hair growth than I am now (considering I started chemo around when you were posting questions about your own regrowth.)

My hair was long, elbow length, and thick. Whenever I got it cut, the stylist would always say something along the lines of "you have SO MUCH HAIR...I should have charged you DOUBLE to cut it!"

My mom was treated with very aggressive chemo in the mid 70s, but I don't know what it was. Her hair, despite being told it would fall out, did not.

My brother was treated for Leukemia, and was told his hair would fall out, and it did. His was blond/sandy brown, and straight, and it grew back black or very dark brown--unfortunately, he died before it got a chance to curl, so I can't comment on any textural differences.

My own hair was medium chestnut brown, and I had a "skunk patch" above my right eye of white hair. I used to touch it up, though :P

I had my last infusion in January and my hair started growing in white, and then filled in to sort of Weimeraner-ish pewter color. And my husband said it was "soft like a bunny."

Now, it's about an inch long, and the color has gotten progressively darker--it's VERY dark in the back, and still sort of silvery/pewter in the front. It hasn't gotten long enough yet to curl, which I'm dreading, but if it does, then c'est la vie.

If it curls, I hope it turns into a big, sexy, crazy afro--curl damnit! I mean REALLY CURL! if not, then I hope it comes back like it was. I just don't want (and won't accept) any lazy half-hearted curling.

Tough love.

i was one of those people
    i was one of those people who was traumatized by my hair loss. i too, had very thick and coarse hair. i had heard that many people shaved their heads but i couldn't bear the thought of being bald just like that! i remember sobbing in the wig place as the stylist kept putting different wigs on my head, all of which looked like wigs not real hair. so anyway, i never wore the wig, i wore kerchiefs. my hair began to grow in after my radiation treatments were completed and it grew in curly. my hair had been as straight as a poker before cancer now it was different. i struggled with my hairdresser on finding a style that could take the curls, it was cut very short. so now after several haircuts, i have kept it very short and i love it. if i let it grow too long, it starts to curl up again. so i who never had very short hair, am satisfied with the look. my hair situation did give me grief, i know that others had no problem with it. hair is a big part of your identity so it takes a while to get happy with the way you look. what a pain! love, peggy
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    peggy65 said:

i was one of those people who was traumatized by my hair loss. i too, had very thick and coarse hair. i had heard that many people shaved their heads but i couldn't bear the thought of being bald just like that! i remember sobbing in the wig place as the stylist kept putting different wigs on my head, all of which looked like wigs not real hair. so anyway, i never wore the wig, i wore kerchiefs. my hair began to grow in after my radiation treatments were completed and it grew in curly. my hair had been as straight as a poker before cancer now it was different. i struggled with my hairdresser on finding a style that could take the curls, it was cut very short. so now after several haircuts, i have kept it very short and i love it. if i let it grow too long, it starts to curl up again. so i who never had very short hair, am satisfied with the look. my hair situation did give me grief, i know that others had no problem with it. hair is a big part of your identity so it takes a while to get happy with the way you look. what a pain! love, peggy

Very short hair
    Hey Peggy,

I love your hair style! My hair was a bit longer before I got it shaved (just as the chemo started making me look like Bozo the clown with scattered tufts).

Mine has grown in with areas of silver/grey/dark brown---revealing my "true" color(s) that my hairdresser kept covered for many years. BUT, it is very curly at this stage of 7 months since my last infusion. The curls make it easy to do in the morning. Combined with the shortness, I can usually do the quick toweling and a "dog" shake, and it's just about done. Love the ease---not sure about the tightness of the curl---and definintely going to go back to the color that mother nature no longer gives me!

I too plan to keep it short tho---so thanks for the great example! But, after so long with scarves, I'm thrilled to have hair!!

So, I guess, along with being a survivor, this is part of the new "me"??

Hugs,
    Jan
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    peggy65 said:

Me, too, Peggy...
    I bought the dreaded wig, too, before the remainder of my hair fell out. Never, not even once, wore it. Hated that thing. After about a year, donated it to a BC-related organization. Like you, I chose the hats/scarves method. We each have to find our own way...

Yes, I was warned that hair - following chemo - doesn't always return as it was. Can be of different color and/or texture. I got back the hair I had - only even more grays! At this point, I have a little less of it - it's a bit thinner. Could be simply the passage of time, chemically-induced menopause, and/or the BC-related meds I still take... Maybe a combination of any/all three! My Mom (no cancer) began to complain many years ago that (natural) menopause thinned out her hair. Thankfully, thick heads of hair run in my family - so, a little less is not a tragedy.

My entire life before BC, I had long hair. At least shoulder length, or below/even longer. When my hair eventually began to grow back, and after having none at all for so long - I made the decision not to return to longer hair. As distressing as it was to have NO hair at all, I wanted to simplify my life and forego the effort & hours of upkeep that longer hair requires. I keep my hair short, sort of a "pixie" cut - I guess, and love it! Wash & go - woohoo! For "special occasions" - I add a little styling product with my fingers. Another benefit - spend lots less $ on hair care products! The only reason I keep the old blow dryer & curling iron around is for the sake of the very occasional overnight guest!

My onc told me that this is not at all uncommon for BC survivors.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    NorcalJ said:

Very short hair
    Hey Peggy,

I love your hair style! My hair was a bit longer before I got it shaved (just as the chemo started making me look like Bozo the clown with scattered tufts).

Mine has grown in with areas of silver/grey/dark brown---revealing my "true" color(s) that my hairdresser kept covered for many years. BUT, it is very curly at this stage of 7 months since my last infusion. The curls make it easy to do in the morning. Combined with the shortness, I can usually do the quick toweling and a "dog" shake, and it's just about done. Love the ease---not sure about the tightness of the curl---and definintely going to go back to the color that mother nature no longer gives me!

I too plan to keep it short tho---so thanks for the great example! But, after so long with scarves, I'm thrilled to have hair!!

So, I guess, along with being a survivor, this is part of the new "me"??

Hugs,
    Jan

Hey, Jan...
    Please be sure to read my response to Peggy's original post.

Yes, very well could be a facet of the "new you" - your "new life"!

Kind regards, Susan
  • kartiae
    kartiae Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hair texture
    I went through aggressive chemo A/C for 6 months and 16 weeks of Taxotere. The Cytoxan would make you lose the hair on your head and a few other intimate areas but Taxotere will make you lose the hair on your face - eyebrows. My hair was pin straight and thin before the cancer and when it came back which it still is coming back but it has come back thicker, darker and curly. So I am kinda shocked that your hair has done the opposite. Did you lose all of it? I ended up being a cue ball, so My hair all came back in at the same time, brand spankin new.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Tough love.

Mine came in very curly and
    Mine came in very curly and then as the months went by it returned to its original texture. Now, I did loose the color. It came in sno white in the front and salt & pepper & pewter in the back, but I decided to dye it when it was 2 inches long. Hugs, Lili