bilateral mastectomy/immediate reconstruction

Options
cwm6230
cwm6230 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am newly diagnosed with breast cancer and facing a bilateral mastectomy and considering immediate reconstruction using abdominal tissue. Would like to hear from someone who has undergone this surgery, how it felt, recovery time, healing. Any information. I am 57 years old, will also have chemotherapy and radiation. Son will be graduating from college May 17, 2009. I will be there.

Comments

• Texylin
    Texylin Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Tram flap reconstruction
    When I had my mastectomy, I had the tram-flap reconstrusction using abdominal tissue. I only had the left side done though. It was a lot less painful than I expected because of all the nerves that are cut. The nurses would get upset with me cause I wouldn't use my morephine drip but I hated the dry mouth worse than the pain. One thing I did do was to try to keep my body straight from the very beginning because I had read how so many people had problems with stretching and straightening up because a person tends to want to stay bent over at first because of the pain. It's a lot easier if you do it from the beginning so the muscles don't have a chance to start healing in that bent position. I was back to work within 6 weeks and really didn't feel too bad. I was 55 at the time. Remember though, I only had one done and everyone is different.

Sending Hugs and best wishes,
    Linda
  • missmuffet
    missmuffet Member Posts: 8
    Options
    bilatw/tram
    As I understood it, a bilateral rendered one ineligble for a tram. I am not sure how much you know about the proceedure or how much you use your abs, but I did not like the possibility that the proceedure might compromise my abdominal strength or lower back stability. Have you looked as implants, this would probably be a less invasive method of reconstruction.
    Best of luck.
  • Chellebug
    Chellebug Member Posts: 133
    Options
    I encourage you to talk to a plastic surgeon
    I had a double mastectomy in April and looked into many options for reconstruction. Initially, I felt all this pressure...that I had to have this figured out before my surgery. I went and listened to a reconstruction panel of ladies, each one had a different kind of reconstruction. I did a ton of research on the internet. Then I realized that I didn't have to do reconstruction right away. I could wait. All the pressure to have it figured out just fell off my shoulders. And I'm glad I did wait because I ended up needing radiation. Most of my research indicated that radiation has the potential to deform reconstructions (except maybe those who use tissue expanders during radiation and eventually have the permanent implants put in months after healing). I read that deformation of the reconstruction didn't always happen with radiation, but there was a risk involved. If you're planning on doing reconstruction with abdominal tissue, that surgery can only be done one time. So you want to ensure as much success for that as possible. If you haven't already, it would be good to meet with a plastic surgeon and/or a radiation oncologist and discuss the issue of radiation over a TRAM or DIEP procedure.

I'm currently using breast forms. They look great (when I wear them!). At this time, I've decided not to reconstruct. Even if I wanted to, I've been told I'd have to wait a few more months to allow continued healing from radiation. If I change my mind, and decide to reconstruct later, that option is always available to me.

I am so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. I was diagnosed a year ago this week.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Chellebug said:

I encourage you to talk to a plastic surgeon
    I had a double mastectomy in April and looked into many options for reconstruction. Initially, I felt all this pressure...that I had to have this figured out before my surgery. I went and listened to a reconstruction panel of ladies, each one had a different kind of reconstruction. I did a ton of research on the internet. Then I realized that I didn't have to do reconstruction right away. I could wait. All the pressure to have it figured out just fell off my shoulders. And I'm glad I did wait because I ended up needing radiation. Most of my research indicated that radiation has the potential to deform reconstructions (except maybe those who use tissue expanders during radiation and eventually have the permanent implants put in months after healing). I read that deformation of the reconstruction didn't always happen with radiation, but there was a risk involved. If you're planning on doing reconstruction with abdominal tissue, that surgery can only be done one time. So you want to ensure as much success for that as possible. If you haven't already, it would be good to meet with a plastic surgeon and/or a radiation oncologist and discuss the issue of radiation over a TRAM or DIEP procedure.

I'm currently using breast forms. They look great (when I wear them!). At this time, I've decided not to reconstruct. Even if I wanted to, I've been told I'd have to wait a few more months to allow continued healing from radiation. If I change my mind, and decide to reconstruct later, that option is always available to me.

I am so sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. I was diagnosed a year ago this week.

Chelle,
    We seem to be on the

Chelle,
    We seem to be on the same time line, one year for me too. I had only one side mas. and am looking at implants/expanders. First doc. said not a great idea because radiated tissue just doesn't stretch and the expanders can pop out. Also, underlying ribs are fragile and may implode a little. Second doc. said he just takes it slower when dealing with expanding radiated tissue. And puts in a breast form with a high profile (perky!) to spread out the pressure on the ribs. And he says he hasn't had one go bad yet and he has been doing them for years and years. Also, if the implants don't work out you haven't really lost anything but a little suffering. If the body tissue surgeries don't work out, you have permanently lost the muscle strenght with no gain. I have surgery scheduled for Dec. 12 and can keep you informed on each step if you like. love and best wishes, Joyce
  • sandidunkin
    sandidunkin Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Having Bi-lateral Mastectomy w/reconstruction in 1 week
    I spoke with several plastic surgeons and met with patients who had different types of reconstruction. I have opted for the implants. The surgery is less time then the flaps and the recovery is shorter however the time between the surgery,expanders, permanent implants, nipple and aerola procedures is lengthy. You have to weigh your options and ask lots of questions. Good luck with your decision.