To have reconstructive surgery or not?

Options
Angelfish
Angelfish Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had my right beast removed in 2005, have been cancer free since then. Being a widow, living alone with no "significant other" in my life, I opted to not have reconstructive surgery. Am now thinking I might want to. Any advice for me from someone else who has made this decision?

Comments

• gemsa
    gemsa Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Angelfish,
    As someone who

Hi Angelfish,
    As someone who had immediate reconstruction after my mastectomy only to have it fail, I have lived with both the reconstructed breast and without. It got to be a pain to worry about the prosthesis falling out, feeling hot, and moving around, so I did have another reconstruction about a year later. I can't say which is best. My reconstructed breast is really tight and a little uncomfortable, but that's due to radiation, and I know others have wonderful results.

In the end you just have to do what is right for you. Will it make you more comfortable to have reconstruction? Are you up for another surgery? How important is it to you to have the breast back? Just some things to think about.

www.tinakoral.com
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    it's a process...
    Angel, I am sure you have considered all the pros and cons over and over again during the last 3 years. No one can tell you what you should do, but for me no recon has been the best choice and the older I get the happier I am that I chose it.
    I lost one breast in 1986 and was one-sided for 2 years, which I found to be very difficult. In 1988 I lost the other breast and found 'breastless' much easier to manage. I was married and in my early 40's and just did not want to undergo more surgeries. However, I still have not found dressing solutions that I am completely happy with. So more and more of late I am 'dressing down' without prosthesis. I thought I might illicit some pretty noticeable reactions, but so far nobody has batted an eyelash. Unfortunately, breast cancer is so wide spread now that the flat-chested look is no longer all that uncommon.
    So just know that whatever decision you make must be for you and you alone and not out of consideration for anyone else's opinions.
  • chiracaua
    chiracaua Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Angel,
    I waited about 15 months after my mastectomy for reconstruction. At first I didn't want to bother. Probably too depressed (still am, but that's another story). I finally made the decision to go ahead and am glad I did. I was in the hospital over nite and then went home. The plastic surgeon was able to just insert the implant in and fill it. No flaps, no expanders. He did my other breast to match the reconstructed one (insurance paid for both). Since I am "not about breasts" I didn't opt for anything huge, I just wanted to look normal and in proportion to the rest of me so that's why he could just put the implant in without all the other stuff. I feel so much better when I look at myself and I look so much better in clothes than I did before, now I wonder why I waited so long to do it. My reconstruction experience was a good one. I also did not have radiation after the mastectomy, just chemo. Radiation complicates reconstruction. Good luck with your decision.
    Chiracaua