OMG I'VE LOST MY EYEBROWS AND U & L EYELASHES

Options
jamiesue1
jamiesue1 Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
HI EVERYBODY,
I FINISHED CHEMO ON SEPTEMBER 17. LAST WEEK I LOST THE REST OF MY EYEBROWS AND NOW I JUST LOST MY UPPER AND LOWER EYE LASHES. IT SEEMS VERY ODD THAT THE CHEMO ONLY STAYS IN YOUR SYSTEM FOR A MONTH WHEN YOU FINISH TAKING IT AND I LOST ALL OF THESE AFTER THAT MONTH ENDED. I'M SURE THERE'S NO SURE FIRE WAY THESE THINGS HAPPEN BUT GEEZ, JUST WHEN MY HEAD HAIR IS STARTING TO PEEK OUT A LITTLE YOU WOULDN'T THINK I'D START LOSING THE OTHER THINGS. DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE HOW LONG I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEM TO GROW BACK. I AM A SALON BRUNETTE BUT ALOT OF GRAY UNDERNEATH BUT MY HAIR LOOKS LIKE IT'S EITHER GROWING BACK BLONDE OR WHITE GRAY. SHOULD BE INTERESTING WHEN IT REALLY GROWS BACK.

SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW LONG BEFORE MY BROWS AND EYELASHES TAKE TO GROW BACK!!!!

JAMIE

Comments

• base61ball
    base61ball Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Bald eyes
    Not to worry - it took mine about 2 months to grow back. At first I just had the middle of my eyebrows and the hair was "cellophane" color. Gradually the eyebrows filled in and have been gradually turning darker (they used to be dark brown). Now they look like real eyebrows should, just lighter than they were before chemo. The eyelashes are still coming in and I can feel them if I brush my finger on them. They are short but there.

My hair looked like cellophane when it started coming in - now it looks like 5 oclock shadow and is growing a little longer and the spaces are filling in. It has a little more color than when it first started growing. Still fuzzy duckling tho for texture.

Think of it like an out of focus picture that you are gradually adjusting and its becoming clearer. Thats what it reminds me of.

I know everyone is different, but your lashes and eyebrows will come back.

I read an article that said we are born with 3 layers of lashes and gradually lose all but one as we get older. don't know how true that is but it was interesting reading.

I am just now losing my toenails from taxotere so guess things like that happen when our bodies want them to happen - not when we expect it.

I'm sending hugs your way - it will get better.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I really didn't pay much
    I really didn't pay much attention to the number of weeks it took for all the hair to grow back on the different body parts. I knew it was to be expected and just figured it would all come back in due time when treatments were over. It seems to me the eyelashes and private areas were slower. I finished one chemo, took about a month off for surgery, then started another chemo. Hair started back in between, but came back out. Last chemo ended June. I think all the hair in all places got back to normal by the time school started in Aug. I trimmed the hair on my head about that time to get it all even...some was longer than others before. Hair is now about 2inches long and curly, but would be the same color it was before if I had not bought a color I prefer.

Maybe that rambling might be useful. seof.
  • marciadh
    marciadh Member Posts: 6
    Options
    seof said:

I really didn't pay much
    I really didn't pay much attention to the number of weeks it took for all the hair to grow back on the different body parts. I knew it was to be expected and just figured it would all come back in due time when treatments were over. It seems to me the eyelashes and private areas were slower. I finished one chemo, took about a month off for surgery, then started another chemo. Hair started back in between, but came back out. Last chemo ended June. I think all the hair in all places got back to normal by the time school started in Aug. I trimmed the hair on my head about that time to get it all even...some was longer than others before. Hair is now about 2inches long and curly, but would be the same color it was before if I had not bought a color I prefer.

Maybe that rambling might be useful. seof.

It Doesn't Take Long
    My eyelashes held on all through chemo, only to fall out after it was done. I was horrified, but they grew back very quickly. Started growing back almost as fast as they were done falling out.

The hair on my head took about 5 weeks after last chemo to even start growing, as did the eyebrows.
  • sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I had the same experience,
    I had the same experience, after the last chemo treatment, one day I realized I had lost the eyebrows and eyelashes. But the funny thing is that they start growing fast, and all of a sudden you realize they back.
    The hair seems to be different for every one. My hair started growing before the last treatment. My last treatment was done at the end of June, and I'm still using the wig, the head is all cover but it's still too short.
    The rest of the hair seems to come back faster!
    Good luck!
  • Cindyjoy
    Cindyjoy Member Posts: 8
    Options
    hair regrowth
    I had a month off for surgery and nice soft hair came back on my head. When I began chemo again that hair got all wirey and some came out in the way of male patern baldness (very attractive!) My last chemo was Sept. 10th. I too, lost my eyelashes and brows after chemo. It was insult to injury when I began getting my eyelashes in my eyes! The eye brow area looks creepy because the rest of my face is tan and that area where I had dark brows is white now. It's been 2 months now and all that has really come back is my leg hair-yippee. Also I have tufts above my ears.When I look in the mirror sometimes I cry, sometimes I laugh. It's good that I am a master at tying scarves and matching them to my outfits, earrings and lipsticks because that has provided me with a new me look. I'm happy to be alive but I don't like this!BYT-I'm 48-maybe age affect hair regrowth time-I don't know.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Jamiesue
    My eyebrows and eyelashes grew back really fast, I hated having no eyebrows... I thought I looked like a pig (I don't like pigs eyes) But it all comes back really quickly......good luck, Julia
  • Stormy8281
    Stormy8281 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Loss of eyebrows and eyelashes
    jamiesue, I lost my eyelashes twice during treatment. I don't like to keep track of treatments so I don't really know how long they took to grow back. One happy thing to report, my lashes came back longer and thicker. So hang in there.

Gale