hand foot from xeloda - how soon does it start?

Options
taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm just starting my 3rd cycle of Xeloda (out of a planned six). Taking 3 [500mg] tablets in morning and 3 in evening. 14 days on, 7 days off. (Oxaliplatin drip on day 1, but that's another story).

So far, I haven't had any hand/foot syndrome. Except one blister/ulcer on the top corner of one toe, which was treated and resolved easily.

May I ask those of you who had hand/foot syndrome how quickly it appeared? It it possible I will be spared?? Or is it about to hit me?

(I feel like I can cope with anything except uncertainty. Makes it tough when Life Itself is uncertain!!)

Thanks in advance,
Tara

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    hand/foot syndrome
    Tara, I can't help you with that, i haven't had Xeloda, but wanted to encourage you none the less. There's a reason our oncs hesitate to tell us all the side effects! Some times suggestion is enough to make our journey more miserable than it has to be! As long as you don't have it, enjoy! You probably won't get it and will be wasting energy worrying for nothing! I pray your treatment continues going well and that if you HAVE to have side effects, they will be minor and you will breeze right through!
    Mary
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    msccolon said:

hand/foot syndrome
    Tara, I can't help you with that, i haven't had Xeloda, but wanted to encourage you none the less. There's a reason our oncs hesitate to tell us all the side effects! Some times suggestion is enough to make our journey more miserable than it has to be! As long as you don't have it, enjoy! You probably won't get it and will be wasting energy worrying for nothing! I pray your treatment continues going well and that if you HAVE to have side effects, they will be minor and you will breeze right through!
    Mary

hand/foot syndrome
    I totally agree with Mary. Not everyone gets the same side affects, but they do like to tell us the most "common" side affects that can occur with the various chemo drugs. I know that my understanding of chemo in general would produce nausea, extreme fatigue and loss of appetite. Then when I had my orientation prior to starting the chemo, they gave me a list of possible side affects for each of the three chemos, that seemed to go on forever. Turns out that I had very few of the side affects and what I did get, they were easy to deal with and/or treat.

So, the fact you haven't had the hand/foot syndrome and you are a couple of cycles into it, you might be one of the lucky ones who don't get that side affect :)

Hang in there!

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • robertwoitas
    robertwoitas Member Posts: 17
    Options
    hand foot from xeloda
    Hi, I completed seven weeks of daily xeloda with radiation. I never did get the hand foot side effect (thank GOD). Not every one will get it. so I hope that you don't either. Good Luck.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    Hi Tara,

I was on Xeloda for 4 rounds and I did get the peeling of skin on my hands and sore feet BUT...I was on a highter dose than you. 5 pills at morning and night. I believe mine started after 2 weeks.

I'm sending good vibes your way that you won't have a problem with it~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Claudia
  • ac
    ac Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Tara,
    I just finished 5 1/2

Tara,

I just finished 5 1/2 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy (Xeloda 500 mg 4 in the am and 3 in the pm) and had hardly any side effects. I was preparing mentally for the hand, foot and mouth syndrome but never got it. I had occasional diarrhea which was manageable with Imodium. My bowel movements eventually felt like razor blades at the 4th or 5th week. but I think that was from the radiation, even that could be ameliorated with hydrocortisone suppositories.

Good luck.

Andrew
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    answered my own question
    Just answered my own darn question. I have blisters on the bottom of my feet today. (I'm just finishing my third cycle of Xelox - out of a planned 6). I'm really bummed -- because I like to walk -- as my exercise but also for my soul. Funny how it's the little things that can gt you down (sniff sniff). Maybe I shouldn't have been walking while on Xeloda. But I'm not sure it would have made a difference.
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    taraHK said:

answered my own question
    Just answered my own darn question. I have blisters on the bottom of my feet today. (I'm just finishing my third cycle of Xelox - out of a planned 6). I'm really bummed -- because I like to walk -- as my exercise but also for my soul. Funny how it's the little things that can gt you down (sniff sniff). Maybe I shouldn't have been walking while on Xeloda. But I'm not sure it would have made a difference.

For me it was the start of
    For me it was the start of the 4th treatment that it began..
    chip