Port Pain

Sandi1
Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
It has been 10 days since my husband had his port put in. He is still in an extreme amount of pain. He went to the surgeon today and he sent him for an x-ray, he said something to the effect that he thinks the needle part of the port is rubbing against a rib and/or his collar bone, if that is the case he will have to take the port out. My husband will not allow him to put it in the other side. I just want my husband to be out of pain.

Has anyone else had this much pain from the port and had to have it taken out?

Sandi

Comments

• vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    port pain
    I had just a little discomfort from the incision at first but it wasn't bad. I'm not sure what the surgeon is talking about with the needle. There should only be soft tubing in the vessels, they don't leave any needle in. I would definitely press the surgeon as to what the problem is. Mine has been in three years and I am going to schedule getting it out when I have time.

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Port Pain
    Hi Sandi! I had a lot of trouble with my port for a very long time. At first it hurt all the time, and then it itched for literally months! I agree with **** that there shouldn't be any kind of needle in the port unless it's being accessed. If the needle is hitting the bottom of the port while accessed, that can cause a lot of pain that doesn't let up. I've been there. They may be using too big of a needle. They come in different sizes, so ask the infusion nurse (the nurse will probably know more than the doc about this). In the meantime, see if the doc will prescribe some sort of topical pain medication to numb the port area. Your husband shouldn't have to be in pain. What i've found about some of these doctors is that they tend to get complacent about our symptoms. Sometimes we have to push them to give us what we need. Don't feel guilty about pushing. Their job is to make us as comfortable as possible while we're going through the hell.

Good luck with it!
    Krista
  • peterhw
    peterhw Member Posts: 69
    Another new port
    Hi Sandi,

I had problem with my first port two months after it was installed. I had a infection and the doctor had to remove it. The second port was put in on the other side. This time I ask the doctor to be extra careful in cleaning and sealing. I did not experience pain at all. It has been three months now with no problem.

If you husband still has pain in the port, there is definitely some thing wrong with it. There is no reason to endure the pain. Take the bad one out and install a new one. It will only take one hour, but he will feel much better afterward.

Peter
  • Sandi1
    Thank you
    Thank you for all your replies. I may have mis-spoken about the needle thing. My husband is in alot of pain and so I just get what he can scream at me. There is no needle in there, the surgeon said the tube is probably rubbing on the groove they made in his collar bone. They took x-rays yesterday and we are currently waiting for the surgeon to get back to us with what he sees. He has not had chemo through his port yet, tomorrow will be the first day - so we will see. The children had gotten the wrong information for there oldest sister (who thinks she knows everything) that because my husband is in pain that the chemo is not working, and now apparantely his hair is falling out. So, we spent most of last night reassuring the children that everything is ok, and that the chemo is working and that he is NOT losing his hair. We just had to explain what was going on with the port. I just hope and pray that getting chemo through the port is not painful for him as he will be carrying the pump around for awhile.

Well, thanks for listening again.
    Sandi
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Sandi1 said:

Thank you
    Thank you for all your replies. I may have mis-spoken about the needle thing. My husband is in alot of pain and so I just get what he can scream at me. There is no needle in there, the surgeon said the tube is probably rubbing on the groove they made in his collar bone. They took x-rays yesterday and we are currently waiting for the surgeon to get back to us with what he sees. He has not had chemo through his port yet, tomorrow will be the first day - so we will see. The children had gotten the wrong information for there oldest sister (who thinks she knows everything) that because my husband is in pain that the chemo is not working, and now apparantely his hair is falling out. So, we spent most of last night reassuring the children that everything is ok, and that the chemo is working and that he is NOT losing his hair. We just had to explain what was going on with the port. I just hope and pray that getting chemo through the port is not painful for him as he will be carrying the pump around for awhile.

Well, thanks for listening again.
    Sandi

Heavy Shoulders!
    Hi Sandi,

Wow! You are certainly having a lot to deal with right now. I'm sorry you are having to be the sounding board for everyone's frustrations and fears. Remember to take care of your needs and emotions as you so wonderfully take care of Mike's.

Hugs,

Kay
  • Sandi1
    New Information
    Ok, so since my husband's visit to the surgeon yesterday and x-rays - the surgeon has decided that he should take the port out. He sees nothing wrong with the port from the xray. He thinks that the catheter in there is rubbing on his collar bone and that is causing the discomfort. He suggested putting it in his arm as he thinks my husband will have the same problem on the other side of his chest as he has now. He will have it removed on Monday - I don't know if they are going to put the new port in or not. My husband now sounds very depressed and seems worried about the chemo without the port. My husband has endured all this pain for no reason. GREAT... Sorry, I'm a little mad right now and I don't know who to blame.

Sandi
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Sandi1 said:

New Information
    Ok, so since my husband's visit to the surgeon yesterday and x-rays - the surgeon has decided that he should take the port out. He sees nothing wrong with the port from the xray. He thinks that the catheter in there is rubbing on his collar bone and that is causing the discomfort. He suggested putting it in his arm as he thinks my husband will have the same problem on the other side of his chest as he has now. He will have it removed on Monday - I don't know if they are going to put the new port in or not. My husband now sounds very depressed and seems worried about the chemo without the port. My husband has endured all this pain for no reason. GREAT... Sorry, I'm a little mad right now and I don't know who to blame.

Sandi

your husband's port
    Sandi, I am so sorry to hear of your husband's latest news. He has been managing with so much pain from the port already, I am sure he is dreading what not using the port might represent when he receives the chemo. Wonder why the surgeon thinks he might have the same problem on the other side of his chest. I have known people with the pic line in the arm and it seemed to work well for them. Prayers for this to be resolved well for your husband, so he can move into treatment and move on. Your husband must feel a bit like a puppet in a not so funny puppet show. Keep us posted.
    Mary