Had surgery on Monday

butterfly23
butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi my name is Karyn I am 38 years old, stage 4 colon cancer. I was diagnosed in January, and I had 12 rounds of 5fu and I just had my tumor removed with a colon resection on Monday! I feel great! I came home from the hospital on Thurs. I had it done laproscopically, my tumor was the size of an orange! I pray for all of us everyday, having cancer SUCKS!!! I did promise myself when I feel better I will volunteer, I'm not sure what I will do, but I feel I have positive input. I have been so positive through this whole ordeal, normally if you told me I was going to go through this a year from now, I never would think I could do it. When you get slapped in the face with this disease, you don't have a choice but to go through your treatments, there is no alternative, so you need to try to stay positive, I believe your attitude has alot to do with your healing! I will see my surgeon and oncologist in 2 weeks, I may have to have some more chemo as a precautionary measure. I was wondering if anyone else volunteers, and what do you do, I know there are alot of different areas to help. I am a hairdresser, so I may help with the Look Good Feel Better Program. I will keep in touch, my prayers and well wishes are with all of you!
Karyn

Comments

• kwalton
    kwalton Member Posts: 1
    Colorectal cancer
    Hey Karen Glad to hear you are doing so well. I had a laproscopic resection in May and then did 4 round of 5fu followed by 5 weeks of rads and I'm doing 4 more 5fu starting this week. My tumor was only about 2 inches and I was stage 3. Keep up that attitude, it is soooo important. I have kept it together most of the time, had a few bad weeks right after rad but i'm about back to myself again.

Kathy
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    monday surgery
    Looks like we had surgery on the same day. I'm still in the hospital, it's Sunday. Supposed to get out tomorrow. They started the surgery laparscopically, but when they got in to the colon and located the area of the removed cancerous polyp, they couldn't find any cancer tissue. So, to err on the side of caution, they decided to go with the long incision as they could see things better. They still couldn't find the cancerous part of the colon. So, I can definitely state from experience that lap is the way to go. The lap incisions were so minor that I don't even know I have them. The big incision I definitely know I have and it's going to take some time to heal. All things considered, I'm glad they did what they did. They were amazed not to find anything. The took out 5 inches of colon and some lymph nodes, and it did take almost a week to get the results back of no cancer. I am so achey in my stomach area that while I want to whoop and holler the good news, but whooping and hollering will have to wait.
    I have no illusions that this cancer episode is over with, as my life has changed as a result. And I know while I'm the luckiest man alive right now, it can show up again. So I'm energized to look after myself and also my family. I won't have to do any chemo or radiation. Thanks for sharing your experience and that we had surgery on the same day. Good luck to you and your treatment procedures.

Mike Walker
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Support of others is a special medicine...
    I became very active in support of other, newly diagnosed survivors. I got so much joy from the look of relief on their faces when they would share something that seemed so foreign, and I would say "Nope, normal!".

Good for you! I feel that faith in myself, faith in my treatment, and faith in a higher power got me thru both cancers...also my family here on the board...

Welcome to the semi-colons!

Hugs, Kathi
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Congrats
    Hi, Karyn. Congratulations on your surgery. Sounds like it went very well! I was diagnosed with colon cancer last Nov. and am coming up on my one-year anniversary. And I'm NED! I started a Relay for Life team last year right after my diagnosis, and I'm continuing with that. I also have volunteered to become a speaker for the American Cancer Society, because I believe that people don't like to talk about colorectal cancer, and that's one reason why people don't get diagnosed until the disease already has hold of them.

Another thing I'm doing is acting as an unofficial counselor to people who are newly diagnosed. When I hear about someone in my church or my community who has cancer, I try to contact them and offer support. The giving back helps.

Gail
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Already Thinking of Others!
    Hi Karyn,

Welcome to our group. It is wonderful you are feeling so well so soon after surgery! Feeling so good so soon after surgery is a wonderful sign. Couple that with your amazing attitude and you are sure to continue on the road to complete wellness! I think you could contribute so much to the Lood Good Feel Better Program. Just make sure you take care of yourself first and then reach out to others.

Hugs,

Kay
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Welcome!
    Hi Karyn,

Welcome to the group. I'm sorry you're here, but it is the best place to be if you have to deal with colon cancer. I'm glad your surgery went well. An orange-sized tumor is nothing to sneeze at (in fact, you probably don't feel like sneezing, anyway:).

So I truly admire that you're already thinking of volunteering. I didn't volunteer, per se, but I found quite a few people in my subdivision who were dealing with some sort of cancer or another (4 semi-colons!), and we exchanged phone numbers for when we need to deal with stuff. It has been good, because there are wonderful people in my neighborhood I would never have met if not for this whole ordeal.

So stick around. We love having you.

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    trainer said:

monday surgery
    Looks like we had surgery on the same day. I'm still in the hospital, it's Sunday. Supposed to get out tomorrow. They started the surgery laparscopically, but when they got in to the colon and located the area of the removed cancerous polyp, they couldn't find any cancer tissue. So, to err on the side of caution, they decided to go with the long incision as they could see things better. They still couldn't find the cancerous part of the colon. So, I can definitely state from experience that lap is the way to go. The lap incisions were so minor that I don't even know I have them. The big incision I definitely know I have and it's going to take some time to heal. All things considered, I'm glad they did what they did. They were amazed not to find anything. The took out 5 inches of colon and some lymph nodes, and it did take almost a week to get the results back of no cancer. I am so achey in my stomach area that while I want to whoop and holler the good news, but whooping and hollering will have to wait.
    I have no illusions that this cancer episode is over with, as my life has changed as a result. And I know while I'm the luckiest man alive right now, it can show up again. So I'm energized to look after myself and also my family. I won't have to do any chemo or radiation. Thanks for sharing your experience and that we had surgery on the same day. Good luck to you and your treatment procedures.

Mike Walker

Hi Mike,
    Wow!! What

Hi Mike,
    Wow!! What wonderful news!! Bummer you had to be sliced open to discover it, but wonderful, wonderful news!
    P.S. I wish I got to take my laptop into the hospital! I was told I couldn't bring it in. I would have loved to been able to check this site and write from the hospital.

Best wishes to you and G0D BLESS!!

Lisa
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    I also had liver surgery
    Hi Karyn,

Glad to hear you're doing so well! I also had a liver resection in May, but not laporoscopically. I had too much to remove to have that done. I have a lovely 8 inch long scar (which has really healed very well & has lightened up already to a whitish pink after just 5 months). Attitude definitely has a huge impact on how we respond. While I've certainly had my times of feeling very down (just got over that again this past week), I really am doing pretty well. I have a lot of friends and family who are very supportive and I have a God I believe in, who I believe loves me and holds my life in His hands. I don't think I could have gotten through this without that faith to cling to.

You keep at your great attitude and getting well (just don't overdo things too quickly because you think you're healed- I made that mistake early on and had a couple of setbacks with painful twinges, but feel no pain at all in that area now or for the past three months).

Take care,
    Lisa
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    lisa42 said:

Hi Mike,
    Wow!! What

Hi Mike,
    Wow!! What wonderful news!! Bummer you had to be sliced open to discover it, but wonderful, wonderful news!
    P.S. I wish I got to take my laptop into the hospital! I was told I couldn't bring it in. I would have loved to been able to check this site and write from the hospital.

Best wishes to you and G0D BLESS!!

Lisa

hospital and wifi
    Having the laptop in the recovery was nice. They even had free wi fi. I was surprised as well.
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
    Thank-You
    Thanks everyone for responding, it is so comforting to have friends here!
    Karyn
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272

Thank-You
    Thanks everyone for responding, it is so comforting to have friends here!
    Karyn

Great Attitude
    Keep up the great attitude and positive vibes and welcome to the group. I find this bulletin board to be filled with great information and support from the friendliest people ever.
    Lance
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    trainer said:

monday surgery

Mike Walker

Mike - just wondering
    Hi Mike,

Great news on not finding cancer but I've got to ask you - What made your doctors think you had cancer. Was it an unusual polyp. Thanks, Lance