New Procedure?

Options
blverrette
blverrette Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey Everyone,
this is my first posting. I have been a member of CSN for about a year and a half or longer. I am currently 39 yrs old, and I had stage III rectal cancer resulting from FAP. So, with all the radiation I received and the location of the mass I had they had to remove my entire colon and rectum. I live with a permanent ileostomy (bag on my stomach). Has anyone ever heard of a synthetic type of rectum? I would just like to know if there is a possibility I could become normal again.

Brian

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    J-Pouch
    I'm not sure how the whole system works, but there is a lot of good info on ostomies, J-pouches, and other alternatives at uoaa.org. I love them over there - great inspiration and information!

Kimby

PS. Did your daughter get home on time last night? Gotta love teenagers and dating! LOL

last edited: because I'm stupid and bad at proofing!
  • blverrette
    Options
    kimby said:

J-Pouch
    I'm not sure how the whole system works, but there is a lot of good info on ostomies, J-pouches, and other alternatives at uoaa.org. I love them over there - great inspiration and information!

Kimby

PS. Did your daughter get home on time last night? Gotta love teenagers and dating! LOL

last edited: because I'm stupid and bad at proofing!

Yeah, she sure did.
    The only

Yeah, she sure did.

The only thing I found so far is a Dr. somewhere up north is doing some experiment on a artificial rectum.
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options

Yeah, she sure did.
    The only

Yeah, she sure did.

The only thing I found so far is a Dr. somewhere up north is doing some experiment on a artificial rectum.

Link
    Here's the link to 'continent diversions' on the uoaa board:

http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

And there is a teen board just in case you know someone who might like that. ;)

http://www.uoaa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

HTH

Kimby
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Can they use small bowel?
    I have a dear friend who lost his entire large intestine, including his rectum and sig colon, to ulcerative collitis. They performed a J-pouch proceedure, using small bowel. He has been fine every since...sure, he has to watch what he eats, but NO BAG. (Well, it's inside, posing as a rectum...lol)

MY J-pouch was made from descending colon. I was using my new 'rectum' that night after surgery.

It is VERY doable, from what I gather, for many folks.

My surgeon specializes in low bowel resection...he is at UC Irvine, and a VERY talented guy.

Hugs, Kathi
  • blverrette
    Options
    Thanks
    They did try, but I had too much damage inside to make that happen. Surgeon told me that if he would have tried any more than they did I probably wouldn't have came out alive. The amount of radiation I received just didn't help the situation.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Thanks
    They did try, but I had too much damage inside to make that happen. Surgeon told me that if he would have tried any more than they did I probably wouldn't have came out alive. The amount of radiation I received just didn't help the situation.

I wish I could help....
    That's about all I know...but, USC (University of Southern California) specializes in colorectal cancer....also UC San Francisco....Maybe you could e-mail them or something and ask.

Radiation is a real troublemaker, but it also saved my life...I still have a bad hip from where the beam went thru....

Please keep us posted, Brian.

Hugs, Kathi