reaction to contrast dye in ct scan

Lauracec
Lauracec Member Posts: 101
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I just had my ct scan today after my 6 rounds of carbo/taxol. realy hoping the tumor on the liver that they couldn,t get during the big surgery is gone or shrunk or at least not bigger. I should get results on tuesday and if everything is good I will still be in the avastin trial.
anyway last ct scan I got just 1 hive on my face with in five minutes of the scan so this time they gave me prednisone I took two last night and two this am and the hive cameback again so they said I might not be able to have the dye anymore. and I heard the ct scan for this won't be good enough with out the dye. anyone else have this problem. thankyou Laura

Comments

• BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Hugs
    Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear of your reaction to the dye. I haven't had this problem but know several women who do. You are right the ctscan isn't as good but still works without it. Prayers your scan shows your disease is less than what it was and your hives are gone. Hugs Bonnie
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    dye reaction
    I also take three prednizone and benedryl before the CT scans because I reacted to the dye 30 years ago.
    I take two benedryl before and again after in addition to the pre-prednizone tablets. When I only took one benedryl before I did have a rash on face and neck, but the two tabs take care of that. I have had 6 CT since 3/07. So far so good. Hope this helps. Talk to the doctor about it. I also have taken a prednizone pac after (those that have decreasing numbers of pills. that I took with the carboplatin for a rash and that did the trick on my hives from that chemo so I got thru all 8 doses. I keep one of those on hand all the time as I react to several things. I am always premedicated before CT's and chemos. Saundra
  • Lauracec
    Lauracec Member Posts: 101
    saundra said:

dye reaction
    I also take three prednizone and benedryl before the CT scans because I reacted to the dye 30 years ago.
    I take two benedryl before and again after in addition to the pre-prednizone tablets. When I only took one benedryl before I did have a rash on face and neck, but the two tabs take care of that. I have had 6 CT since 3/07. So far so good. Hope this helps. Talk to the doctor about it. I also have taken a prednizone pac after (those that have decreasing numbers of pills. that I took with the carboplatin for a rash and that did the trick on my hives from that chemo so I got thru all 8 doses. I keep one of those on hand all the time as I react to several things. I am always premedicated before CT's and chemos. Saundra

thankyou
    maybe i need to be more active instead of just looking at the discussions. I will suggest to my dr. the benedryl along with the predinisone. thankyou both of you