Options
13»

Comments

• scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    steven12 said:

Yes, yes, yes
    Congratulations Lisa P. What a great news. I'd like if all skeptics ( including my onc ) could read your blog. I would really like to know about the history of your disease if you want to share that with us. If you already written about, please just let us know the date the subject was started. Thanks, and all the best to You and everybody,
    Steven

Hi Steven
    Most of my posts about my situation and the natural things I chose to do can be found during the late Oct 2004 thru early 2006 on this site. Some of the basics are: an alkaline diet, fresh carrot/beet/celery/cabbage juice, multiple herbal, vitamin and mineral supplements along with other things. The key books that helped me: "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillan, "The Makers Diet" by Jordan Rubin and "A Cancer Battle Plan" by Ann Frahm.

I'm not sure what you mean by history but my journey started with a colon perforation in Oct 03' that developed into acute perotinitis and I got to spend 3 weeks in the hospital. I was given a tempy colostomy bag at the time and was told multiple tests confirmed it was not cancer. In Feb 04 at an appt discussing the reversal (take down) of the bag, a rectal mass was found. It came back cancerous and resection surgery was scheduled. Thankfully I have a brother that is a ENT surgeon that explained what comprehensive cancer centers are and how important it was that I saw someone that sees and deals with colorectal cancer every minute of every day. I cancelled the surgery and made an appt for a second opinion at a Comprehensive Cancer Center 60 miles away. I consider that decision to be the first of several life saving ones I made, there is no doubt in my mind that I would be dead or dying today had I stayed with my original docs.

My new onc ordered CT scans which showed 3 possible mets to my liver and one to my left lung (don't know why the 2 I had while in the hospital didn't show anything). Due to an almost complete blockage they were never able to "stage" the primary tumor but biopsies did comfirm 2 mets to my liver. They never confirmed the lung met but treated for it anyway. I was given 2-3 years to live and my only option was 12-15 months of Folfox6 with Avastin. My CEA was 35 the day of my first chemo treatment and it did respond over the 8 months (16 treatments).

When I started chemo physically I was probably only about 85% due to the impact of the peritonitis so the chemo really took a toll on me physically, mentally, and emotionally. The neuropathy got so bad in my feet that I could not feel them hit the ground so I started falling alot and decided I needed a break from it. I found a naturopathic doctor who had a PhD in Clinical Nutrition (key to me)to help me fight in a very different way. As soon as I heard my CEA was down to 5.1 (all 4 tumors were still showing up on CT scans), I decided to stop chemo the end of Oct 2004. I immediatly started juicing and doing other things (drinking essaic tea, mangosteen juice, green magma) and eating only natural and organic foods and products. I only ate meat once a week (at most).

My CEA continued to drop and the tumors literally dissipatated over the next year. I had my colostomy bag reversed (taken down) in Jan 06' and let them take a foot of my colon and the respective lymph nodes. The surgeon checked out my liver and it looked fine, lymph nodes were clear, but they did find a microscopic tumor where the primary rectal tumor had been. They got great margins and I think you have the rest of the story.

I'm not sure that is what you had in mind, if not ask away Stephen.

This board helped me so much and as I like to say; it helped me save my life so I feel a need to "play it forward".

Hugs, kisses and Happy New Year to all my fellow semi-colons.

Lisa P.
  • steven12
    steven12 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    scouty said:

Hi Steven
    Most of my posts about my situation and the natural things I chose to do can be found during the late Oct 2004 thru early 2006 on this site. Some of the basics are: an alkaline diet, fresh carrot/beet/celery/cabbage juice, multiple herbal, vitamin and mineral supplements along with other things. The key books that helped me: "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillan, "The Makers Diet" by Jordan Rubin and "A Cancer Battle Plan" by Ann Frahm.

I'm not sure what you mean by history but my journey started with a colon perforation in Oct 03' that developed into acute perotinitis and I got to spend 3 weeks in the hospital. I was given a tempy colostomy bag at the time and was told multiple tests confirmed it was not cancer. In Feb 04 at an appt discussing the reversal (take down) of the bag, a rectal mass was found. It came back cancerous and resection surgery was scheduled. Thankfully I have a brother that is a ENT surgeon that explained what comprehensive cancer centers are and how important it was that I saw someone that sees and deals with colorectal cancer every minute of every day. I cancelled the surgery and made an appt for a second opinion at a Comprehensive Cancer Center 60 miles away. I consider that decision to be the first of several life saving ones I made, there is no doubt in my mind that I would be dead or dying today had I stayed with my original docs.

My new onc ordered CT scans which showed 3 possible mets to my liver and one to my left lung (don't know why the 2 I had while in the hospital didn't show anything). Due to an almost complete blockage they were never able to "stage" the primary tumor but biopsies did comfirm 2 mets to my liver. They never confirmed the lung met but treated for it anyway. I was given 2-3 years to live and my only option was 12-15 months of Folfox6 with Avastin. My CEA was 35 the day of my first chemo treatment and it did respond over the 8 months (16 treatments).

When I started chemo physically I was probably only about 85% due to the impact of the peritonitis so the chemo really took a toll on me physically, mentally, and emotionally. The neuropathy got so bad in my feet that I could not feel them hit the ground so I started falling alot and decided I needed a break from it. I found a naturopathic doctor who had a PhD in Clinical Nutrition (key to me)to help me fight in a very different way. As soon as I heard my CEA was down to 5.1 (all 4 tumors were still showing up on CT scans), I decided to stop chemo the end of Oct 2004. I immediatly started juicing and doing other things (drinking essaic tea, mangosteen juice, green magma) and eating only natural and organic foods and products. I only ate meat once a week (at most).

My CEA continued to drop and the tumors literally dissipatated over the next year. I had my colostomy bag reversed (taken down) in Jan 06' and let them take a foot of my colon and the respective lymph nodes. The surgeon checked out my liver and it looked fine, lymph nodes were clear, but they did find a microscopic tumor where the primary rectal tumor had been. They got great margins and I think you have the rest of the story.

I'm not sure that is what you had in mind, if not ask away Stephen.

This board helped me so much and as I like to say; it helped me save my life so I feel a need to "play it forward".

Hugs, kisses and Happy New Year to all my fellow semi-colons.

Lisa P.

Yes
    Thank you Lisa for the answer. Very interesting case I think. You didn't mention how much juicing, veggies, essiac or other teas you were/are consuming per day. I am asking because I think if anything we take is not in really very large doses for long time it would not much affecting our disease. Your CEA, as you noted, already started falling when you decided to stop the chemo and go natural way. The "tumors" showing on the CT scans may have been actually benign lesions, don't you think? Based upon my own experience I am a bit disappointed in CT/PET scan interpretations. Radiologist opinions may also depend, I believe, on the patient history description on the referral. Sometimes I am wondering what their report looked like if they would not know the scan is about a cancer patient? Anyway, your case really could be the right way for the ultimate healing. Thank you very much and best wishes to You and every body,
    Steven
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    steven12 said:

Yes
    Thank you Lisa for the answer. Very interesting case I think. You didn't mention how much juicing, veggies, essiac or other teas you were/are consuming per day. I am asking because I think if anything we take is not in really very large doses for long time it would not much affecting our disease. Your CEA, as you noted, already started falling when you decided to stop the chemo and go natural way. The "tumors" showing on the CT scans may have been actually benign lesions, don't you think? Based upon my own experience I am a bit disappointed in CT/PET scan interpretations. Radiologist opinions may also depend, I believe, on the patient history description on the referral. Sometimes I am wondering what their report looked like if they would not know the scan is about a cancer patient? Anyway, your case really could be the right way for the ultimate healing. Thank you very much and best wishes to You and every body,
    Steven

I did nothing too excessive
    I drank 2 oz of Essaic 3 times a day, juiced 12 oz of the combo juice twice a day. I ate a big green salad for lunch and another for dinner with some carbs and beans. All in all, I think I took 11 pills a day (spread across breakfast/lunch/and dinner. I drank the same amount of water per day as I did while on chemo (96 ounces).

The biopsies on the 2 liver mets their 7 inch needle could reach confirmed rectal adenocarcinoma cells there so no they were NOT benign lesions.

I agree that the person interpreting the scans is important but I also think the machine is too. The one that did my first 2 CT scans that missed the tumors only went down to 10mm while the one at the comprehensive center went down to 5mm. We need to understand that not all cancer treatment offices are the same and have the same equipment so if you can go to a bigger center chances are you will get the latest and greatest on everything.

Lisa
  • Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    Inspiring, thank you for sharing
    I am truly inspired by your story. I just finished my fourth cycle of chemo and was questioning myself over the weekend. Now having read this I think about what I heard today in the inaugural address, "let it be said by our children's children, that when we were tested, we refused to let this journey end". Your story impresses me with this same spirit, thanks for sharing, and continue life's journey.

MIke
  • valeriec
    valeriec Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    OH LISA!!!
    You go baby!!! I do not post a lot any more, but always checking in to see how everyone is doing. Was so excited tonight to see your post!!! What wonderful news. Four years NED!!! That is amazing. I pray you dance with NED forever. You are an inspiration to so many. I am sorry for your scares, but you weathered them like the champ that you are!!! Grateful to hear all tests are back to normal. So very sorry about your dad and Kerry and Jana, too. I know how hard it is to lose one that you love so much. One thing that I have learned, is that life as we know it, moves on one day at a time. I am glad to see that you are doing positive things to get through these rough times. Good job!!! I love to run, but can't dance worth a hoot. Have tried to talk hubby into lessons for many years and even he is like....I love ya, but there is no hope for you!!! A dancer you will never be! Right now, I am riding across America on my bike with a trainer. I am just past Las Vegas!! Trying to raise money for a family we know who tragically lost their 17 year old daughter in an ATV accident right before Thanksgiving. Oh, and we have adopted another dog and got Colby two stallions for Christmas. Our little ranch is growing!! Anyhow, I loved your post!! The best news ever!! Email me sometime, I lost your email when my computer crashed!
    All my love to you-
    Valerie