Bilateral tram or DIEP

Options
seof
seof Member Posts: 819 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I posted this a couple of days ago, but I do not see it on the site today, so I am trying again...don't know where it went. I am looking for a response from someone who has had bilateral reconstruction using her own body tissues rather than implants. I am interested in what the total experience is like...surgery, recovery time, life since then...do the breasts feel and act like your own tissue? I had bilateral mastectomy and have tissue expanders in right now till I finish Herceptin treatments and complete healing from radiation. I want to have bilateral recon. with Tram or DIEP procedure. If anyone has "been there done that", please let me know how it was for you.

Thank you, seof

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    I have had a lumpectomy on
    I have had a lumpectomy on one side and a mast. on the other, I am now deciding what kind of reconstruction to do. I stumbled onto this site and thought you may find it interesting.

http://www.breastcenter.com/introduction/today.php

RE
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Seof, I remember posting an
    Seof, I remember posting an answer regarding this question. Wonder what happened to it. Anyway, I had the tram flap reconstruction but one side only. It was painful the first 2 weeks, not the breast but the abdomen. After that it got better every day. My girlfriend had both sides done and she was about the same in recovery as me and loves her look. She had her procedure done 1 week before me and with the same plastic surgeon. I am very happy with my breast as it looks totally natural. I just had the nipple done and that looks great too. We now have to tattoo the aerola to match my left side. If you more info email me. HUgs, Lili
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Seof: I forgot to say in my
    Seof: I forgot to say in my prior posting that in investigating both procedures before having my reconstruction, I found that there is a higher rejection rate with the diep. You will also be in surgery for around 12 hrs or maybe longer if you are doing both so there is a higher risk of developing clots. As you look into the matter, make a list of the pros and cons for each procedure. I was very happy with my tram and it if wasn't for the scars it would look like my old one. Hugs, Lili
  • hattiez
    hattiez Member Posts: 3
    Options

Seof: I forgot to say in my
    Seof: I forgot to say in my prior posting that in investigating both procedures before having my reconstruction, I found that there is a higher rejection rate with the diep. You will also be in surgery for around 12 hrs or maybe longer if you are doing both so there is a higher risk of developing clots. As you look into the matter, make a list of the pros and cons for each procedure. I was very happy with my tram and it if wasn't for the scars it would look like my old one. Hugs, Lili

Tram or Diep ? Take the Tram!

A Diep requires micro-surgery,is lengthy,and so often they don't take due to blood supply loss. And, you still have an incision in your abdomen.

I had a tram,great pain management in the Hosp.and a prescription for pain meds when I left the hosp.

After cancer treatment,it wasn't so bad. At least I was on the road to looking like a female,and I was delighted to have Miss Betty Boob home at last.

My PS won't do the Diep because of the low success rate.....and additional risk to the patient from the long surgery.

Best advice: get a stool for tub or shower.......
    Have by your bed in hosp.and at home: Mouthwash,cleansing cream or whatever for face,your pain meds and laxitives. Your tummy will be numb after Tram,and constipation could be a problem. As well,try to have a pitcher of water by your bed at home. Being dehydrated will make you feel worse. Ah,some anti-bacterial hand wash.

Ask all medical people who want to examine your incisions to use the anti-bacterial hand lotion BeFore they put on their gloves. My doc passed this idea on to me.

Because of the drains, I'd look for some large safety pins,or even diaper pins,if they're still made. The only way I could sleep was to pin the drains to the seems of my gowns. Even then,I stuck the dickens out of myself several times when the ratty pin stuck me. And,remember,the tubes must remail below the location of the drain entry. They won't drain up!

Hope this has helped and made you feel a bit prepared for surgery.

Hattie
  • jamiesue1
    jamiesue1 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Seof, I haven't had my DIEP
    Seof,

I haven't had my DIEP flap recon. yet. I will on Jan. 7. I can tell you that the DIEP flap does not cut into the stomach muscles which to me is important. It leaves your muscles weak forever and it is a lot longer recuperation time. My plastic surgeon has done over 300 of this procedure and he has only had 5 "not take". He won't even consider doing the tram any longer. You have to make sure you have an excellent surgeon. Good luck on your decision.

Jamie