Femara

saundra
saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I am to start Femara, given for estrogen receptive breast cancer. Been researching the internet and it is kind of new... They did not test my cells at surgery but the hospital still has the tissue samples and i have requested the test. Don't know if I will get it or not. Anyone tried this? Is supposed to be easier than Doxil which would be the chemo if I go that route. Saundra

Comments

• floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Femara
    Hi Saundra,

I haven't been on Femara yet,is this pill form or IV?? I have just had the fluid they drained sent away to be checked for estrogen+,so that I can take a similar drug when I'm done the Navelbine I'm currently on. Keep us posted on this ,,((hugz))) and good luck~~Joanne
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Prayers ♥ Hugs
    Hi Saundra, I pray this knocks the cancer cells right out and you enjoy a long break from regular chemo, who knows maybe a permanent break from chemo. :-) Hugs N Prayers Bonnie
  • saundra
    Femara
    This is an anti-estrogen like tamoxifen. Mostly given for breast cancer estrogen driven cells. It sometimes helps hole ovarian cancer cells at bay giving one more time to recover from the harsher chemo treatment which is what we are trying to do. If the CA125 doesn't show a decrease I will have to go on Doxil. But it is early and we can try this a month or so. I took my first pill last night and so far, nothing. However this is a hormone and typically hormones take a couple of weeks to take effect. Will keep all of you posted. You can google Femara+ovarian cancer and see some of the study reports if interested. Saundra
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    saundra said:

Femara
    This is an anti-estrogen like tamoxifen. Mostly given for breast cancer estrogen driven cells. It sometimes helps hole ovarian cancer cells at bay giving one more time to recover from the harsher chemo treatment which is what we are trying to do. If the CA125 doesn't show a decrease I will have to go on Doxil. But it is early and we can try this a month or so. I took my first pill last night and so far, nothing. However this is a hormone and typically hormones take a couple of weeks to take effect. Will keep all of you posted. You can google Femara+ovarian cancer and see some of the study reports if interested. Saundra

Femara
    Hi Saundra,

I just did the Google search you suggested, and Femara sounds a lot like tamoxifen. Were you told of side effects?

The Top Story on the front page of the ACS site is about Acupuncture relieving side effects of tamoxifen, and describes the side effects of tamoxifen.

I started taking tamoxifen in mid-April this year, and my CA-125 kept rising bit by bit until it hit 284 in July, then it started dropping, 140 in September, and 114 in October. I don't know if this is typical of the anti-estrogen drug effect. How often will you have draws for your CA-125 level?

I liked what I read about Femara, and really hope it will work for you!

Sue
  • saundra
    Like Tamoxifin
    Yes it is similar in action but a different chemical. I will have CA125's monthly. Sure hope my numbers don't move up!! I read there are some nasty side effects on some, but know that pharmacidical companies list everything reported in the study and may not attributable to the drug. I just pray I get none of them with God's protection. Saundra