Rads finished!!!!!

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Oh my god, my skin burned so bad from the radiation. I'm finally just now starting to heal. It's time for me to start taking my tamoxifen but i'm scared too. What do i expect from this little white pill. Plz help once agin. I've been carrying it around in my purse for a couple weeks now and havent put not one pill in my mouth. HELP!!!!! Is this pill gonna make me sick at all.

Comments

• phillis313
    phillis313 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Congrats!
    Congrats on finishing up your rads! Does it feel good to be done, in spite of the burn? Sounds like we have the same treatment plan. I'm due to start rads in a month, provided my margins come back clear on my recent lumpectomy. Then I too will be taking that little white pill. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm trusting my doctors and the treatment plan. I'm warning all around me it may throw my hormones in a tizzy. (It may give me some excuses with my teenagers when I act a little crazy). From everything I've read so far, I don't think it will make you sick. It may have some side affects. Have you talked thoroughly with your oncologist about it? Mine put me a bit at ease about taking it. Though I haven't started yet. Perhaps we can go through it together and compare notes! Congratulations on making it through!
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Hey, Babe! Congratulations
    Hey, Babe! Congratulations on getting through the rads! Each day that passes now will be one of improvement. Healing from chemo blues. Healing from rad burns. If your experience is like mine, the tamoxifin will not do anything to stop that. I have not gained weight. I have not grown a beard (ok, don't laugh, I was worried). I still shake my hips when I walk and feel like a woman. The only possible side effect I have seen is my fingernails are a little more likely to tear. I have been taking it for months. Soooo, while some people do have some problems with it, by no means is it inevitable. See for yourself. Go on, take that bad boy!
    And celebrate! Yay! You did it, and you can do it.
    love, JOyce
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    The only thing I know for
    The only thing I know for sure it did was give me hot flashes. The oncologist took me off after about 8 or 9 months because of a problem I was having but he couldn't say if the Tamoxifen was the cause or not. I also have a sister who had uterine cancer and I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem like mine. I started spotting and ended up having a D&C. It was determinded I had uterine polyps. What they told me was if you are on Tamoxifen then have a yearly exam with your gynecologist and you should be ok. My oncologist decided to switch my medications because of my family history. I also had a mother who had ovarian cancer. So I think it was more my family history than anything else.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I've taken it for 2 years...
    ....I have no lasting sides. At first, yes, there were hot flashes (my bed was my own personal sauna), but somewhere in the second month, this stopped. I have no other troubles.

Just like any new medication, Tamoxifen has startup symptoms, but I REALLY stand behind it....now, everyone is different, but I am fighing being changed to Arimidex, which my oncologist wants to do, because I have no trouble with my 'Tami'.

START taking those pills, dearheart!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    WooHoo Babe: You're done,
    WooHoo Babe: You're done, believe me the Tamoxifen is a walk in the park after all we've been through. I've been on it for 10 months. I get hot flashes and I've gained weight. I guess it's a small price to pay if it stops reoccurence. Take it don't delay any more. Hugs, Lili