Finished with all reconstruction

Options
survivor51
survivor51 Member Posts: 276
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey All you Beautiful Babes,
Well, yesterday I finished my last surgery and had the nipple reconstruction. I never imagined how incredible I feel. I had originally decided not to have it and it was "no big deal" but I did take the plunge and feel absolutely incredible. I have to wear loose shirts for a while but to see a small bump on my shirt in the mirror is amazing. Then I felt them and words can't tell you how I realized how much this has made me feel better. I was OK with everything, holding my head up and going positive....when I was down, I knew my sisters here would surround me and make me head back up the roller coaster. I feel GOOD. I am a bit sore but nothing like what I have been through. Several of you know that I have had to have my breast taken out 3 times due to problems and wondered if maybe I should just forget reconstruction. I am thrilled I stuck with this and they do look incredible. For those of you that have decided not to do reconstruction, I say kudos to your personal decision. For those of you wondering...should I .....I can only say that this has been so worth it. My next plan is to get with a nutrictionalist(spelling) and get the rest of my body back. With arimidex and effexor, I've put on weight gain and plan to get "myself" back. For those of you going through the chemo/radiation/other treatments...there is light at the end of the tunnel. For how long, I don't know but I do know that I take each day and just enjoy. I've had many times that they thought it was back , Cancer, but after testing, it has not..hooray. I don't dwell on the tomorrow and just today. Today is a good day. My prayers are that each of you have more good days than not, to treasure your friends and family, remember we are always here for you and ourselves. I wish I could hug each of you that have held my hand through all this roller coaster ride. You have made all this doable and just to know you are here makes a big difference. God Bless each one of us and our wonderful circle of friends. Angela

Comments

• Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    What a beautiful post,
    What a beautiful post, Angela. I can feel your happiness. And thank you for the encouragement. I am going to have reconstruction in December (expanders put in) and it is easy just to concentrate on the icky surgery but you help me see the goal.
    Best wishes for your continued journey into health, happiness, and beauty. I have found yoga to be good for me (body and soul).
    Congratulations, for all you have been through, and for reaching peace and joy. love, JOyce
  • survivor51
    Options

What a beautiful post,
    What a beautiful post, Angela. I can feel your happiness. And thank you for the encouragement. I am going to have reconstruction in December (expanders put in) and it is easy just to concentrate on the icky surgery but you help me see the goal.
    Best wishes for your continued journey into health, happiness, and beauty. I have found yoga to be good for me (body and soul).
    Congratulations, for all you have been through, and for reaching peace and joy. love, JOyce

You go girl
    Hey, The expanders are doable but remember that it does take patience. I'm not sure of your plan but mine went like this: The expanders are put in and it doesn't look like much was done at first. Each week you go in and they add the saline to begin stretching the muscle. I couldn't see much difference at first but after week 3 I could tell I had some bumps. I suggest that each time you go in for the saline, take something like tylenol or even if you have a pain pill. I found that 800mg of advil was helpful. When you are driving home you will feel a little tight but then you get use to it. Have you ever had braces on your teeth and each time they tighten them you were sore for a day. It reminded me of that so the pills helped. At week 6 I think, I was expanded to I believe 850cc. They were bumps but didn't look like the breast I was use to having. When I finished the chemo, they took them out and wow what a difference. My new breast were soft just like my old ones. My husband had even made a comment when we were in the shower and said "Honey, if I didn't know better, I'd swear they were yours from before." Now the skin they took from my back was an oval shape and when the implants went in, they made them circular. You will have some times that you just want it to be all over but please remember....it will be wonderful. You have been through so much and then you wonder...is it worth going through another surgery. For me there is absolutely no doubt. Also, I began having veins and they are all connecting. I use a pencil end to see how much feeling I am getting back. I can feel now almost in both entire breast. I don't feel the nipple area but that was just done yesterday. I am amazed at how I can actually see my new breast come alive and be a part of me with the veins, blood flowing, and I even feel some movements like when I felt the flutter when I was pregnant and feel my boys the first time in my stomach. It just makes me smile. Take care and keep going. I'm here for you. Angela
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

You go girl
    Hey, The expanders are doable but remember that it does take patience. I'm not sure of your plan but mine went like this: The expanders are put in and it doesn't look like much was done at first. Each week you go in and they add the saline to begin stretching the muscle. I couldn't see much difference at first but after week 3 I could tell I had some bumps. I suggest that each time you go in for the saline, take something like tylenol or even if you have a pain pill. I found that 800mg of advil was helpful. When you are driving home you will feel a little tight but then you get use to it. Have you ever had braces on your teeth and each time they tighten them you were sore for a day. It reminded me of that so the pills helped. At week 6 I think, I was expanded to I believe 850cc. They were bumps but didn't look like the breast I was use to having. When I finished the chemo, they took them out and wow what a difference. My new breast were soft just like my old ones. My husband had even made a comment when we were in the shower and said "Honey, if I didn't know better, I'd swear they were yours from before." Now the skin they took from my back was an oval shape and when the implants went in, they made them circular. You will have some times that you just want it to be all over but please remember....it will be wonderful. You have been through so much and then you wonder...is it worth going through another surgery. For me there is absolutely no doubt. Also, I began having veins and they are all connecting. I use a pencil end to see how much feeling I am getting back. I can feel now almost in both entire breast. I don't feel the nipple area but that was just done yesterday. I am amazed at how I can actually see my new breast come alive and be a part of me with the veins, blood flowing, and I even feel some movements like when I felt the flutter when I was pregnant and feel my boys the first time in my stomach. It just makes me smile. Take care and keep going. I'm here for you. Angela

YOur post was helpful. It
    YOur post was helpful. It is nice to be walked through the procedure. Yes, I have had braces - good analogy.
    Your kind words and support mean...well, I could say, more than you would know. But I think you know...support is incredible! Thanks. love, Joyce
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Angela: It's been so long
    Angela: It's been so long since we had news from you. I am so glad you are through with your reconstruction. I have one more to go. I also got a nipple and it looks great. I just need to fill in more on the top of the breast still very hollow there. I've missed seeing your posts and was wondering if everything was ok with you. Glad you posted and let us know of your progress. Hope to see you in chat soon. Hugs, Lili
  • survivor51
    Options

Angela: It's been so long
    Angela: It's been so long since we had news from you. I am so glad you are through with your reconstruction. I have one more to go. I also got a nipple and it looks great. I just need to fill in more on the top of the breast still very hollow there. I've missed seeing your posts and was wondering if everything was ok with you. Glad you posted and let us know of your progress. Hope to see you in chat soon. Hugs, Lili

so sweet
    You have been so helpful to me and yes, I'm doing well. I kinda went underground to get some strength lately. I had a lot of ups and downs and questions whether this had come back. So far so good. I'm taking it a day at a time but decided not to wait for the finished look no matter what. My thoughts are with you and it will turn out just great. Angela
  • jamiesue1
    jamiesue1 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Angela,
    I am somewhat new

Hi Angela,
    I am somewhat new to this site so I never heard which recon you did. Did you have expanders? I am having a DIEP Flap recon on Jan. 7. 2009.
    Jamie
  • survivor51
    Options
    jamiesue1 said:

Hi Angela,
    I am somewhat new

Hi Angela,
    I am somewhat new to this site so I never heard which recon you did. Did you have expanders? I am having a DIEP Flap recon on Jan. 7. 2009.
    Jamie

Hey
    They took muscle from my back and moved it forward. I had expanders and after chemo, had that removed and implants put in. They look and feel wonderful. I do have to say that the expanders were a bit uncomfortable but they did the trick by expanding the muscle. I just had my nipples put on Friday and I am sooo pleased. I feel I have a part of my back that I thought I never would. Even my husband states how great they feel and they feel just like the old me. I honestly couldn't be more pleased. I wish you all the wishes you want to come true with your reconstruction. As for me, I am even having feeling coming back after a bilateral mastectomy. It is absolutely amazing. Angela
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hey
    They took muscle from my back and moved it forward. I had expanders and after chemo, had that removed and implants put in. They look and feel wonderful. I do have to say that the expanders were a bit uncomfortable but they did the trick by expanding the muscle. I just had my nipples put on Friday and I am sooo pleased. I feel I have a part of my back that I thought I never would. Even my husband states how great they feel and they feel just like the old me. I honestly couldn't be more pleased. I wish you all the wishes you want to come true with your reconstruction. As for me, I am even having feeling coming back after a bilateral mastectomy. It is absolutely amazing. Angela

thanks
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, Angela. I've finished my radiation and need time for the skin to heal before my expanders are removed and the implants put in. I'm so tired of all of this and it's good to hear that it can all be worth it. I can feel your smile and enthusiasm. It's contagious. Like Joyce, I'm loving my yoga class and getting new energy from that. I look forward to getting out what feels like concrete blocks in my chest and getting something soft and moveable. I'll be coming back for more words.....thanks all!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    ...so when is the naked happy dance??????
    I remember dancing on the bar at Coyote Ugly in Nashville, and leaving my bra there with 'BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR' written on it.

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Hugs, Kathi
  • mmontero38
    Options
    KathiM said:

...so when is the naked happy dance??????
    I remember dancing on the bar at Coyote Ugly in Nashville, and leaving my bra there with 'BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR' written on it.

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Hugs, Kathi

And I bet you had Fun haha.
    And I bet you had Fun haha. Love, Lili
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options

And I bet you had Fun haha.
    And I bet you had Fun haha. Love, Lili

fun!!
    What a great laugh...I danced on that same bar BC (before cancer) and loved every minute. My husband and I have been wanting to go back. This time I could leave something behind more than my empty shot glass for "winning". Gives me something to do with my old bras. I haven't worn any since my mas and will look forward to new ones after my reconstruction is over.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    dbs1673 said:

fun!!
    What a great laugh...I danced on that same bar BC (before cancer) and loved every minute. My husband and I have been wanting to go back. This time I could leave something behind more than my empty shot glass for "winning". Gives me something to do with my old bras. I haven't worn any since my mas and will look forward to new ones after my reconstruction is over.

Even better....
    I bought a T-shirt there that said 'I danced on the bar at Coyote Ugly'....good thing I bought it a bit big....I left with my ta-tas swinging!!!

ROFL!

Hugs, Kathi
  • horsegal
    horsegal Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I've only been to this site
    I've only been to this site a couple of times now, but I love reading all you gals comments. You make me smile, and give me encouragement. I was glad to read about your reconstruction Angela, and how happy you are with it. I had expanders put in when I had my double mastectomy. My plastic doc is a wonderful guy, and he told me at the start of all this that I had to look at the bright side - I was getting to start all over and could pick the size I wanted to be this time around! Not exactly the way I would have wanted to do that, but he had a point, and it made me laugh! I looked at some photos of some nipple reconstructions he had done, and was amazed at how great they looked! It's nice to actually get an opinion on it though, from someone who's had it done, so thanks for that. I'm planning on getting my implants in November - my birthday present to me. I'll be glad to get rid of these rocks! I'm also looking forward to seeing what my husband thinks. He's been deployed since March, so I just had my expanders when he left. His tour doesn't end until March of next year, so I'm hoping to have all the finishing touches put on by then. It was also encouraging to hear about you getting feeling back in your breasts again - that would be wonderful!
  • mmontero38
    Options
    horsegal said:

I've only been to this site
    I've only been to this site a couple of times now, but I love reading all you gals comments. You make me smile, and give me encouragement. I was glad to read about your reconstruction Angela, and how happy you are with it. I had expanders put in when I had my double mastectomy. My plastic doc is a wonderful guy, and he told me at the start of all this that I had to look at the bright side - I was getting to start all over and could pick the size I wanted to be this time around! Not exactly the way I would have wanted to do that, but he had a point, and it made me laugh! I looked at some photos of some nipple reconstructions he had done, and was amazed at how great they looked! It's nice to actually get an opinion on it though, from someone who's had it done, so thanks for that. I'm planning on getting my implants in November - my birthday present to me. I'll be glad to get rid of these rocks! I'm also looking forward to seeing what my husband thinks. He's been deployed since March, so I just had my expanders when he left. His tour doesn't end until March of next year, so I'm hoping to have all the finishing touches put on by then. It was also encouraging to hear about you getting feeling back in your breasts again - that would be wonderful!

Horsegal, Welcome to the
    Horsegal, Welcome to the sisterhood. So glad you joined us. Wishing you all the best with your reconstruction also. And, go all for it. You deserve it, Hugs, Lili
  • muse23
    muse23 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    You said it well.. Good reminder...
    Thanks for your post. I am new and not on much. Today, I needed the reminder that, post trauma of all the surgeries, divorce, empty nest...I've got the beauty of each day available. So much was removed....2 breasts and husband (levity is key). so much was learned. relationships with people and nature for me, strengthended me in order to survive.
    Today, I am combatting mold in my house (which is still on the market in Miami) Looking to change locations & downsizing is necessary and desired.
    My mother died from Breast Cancer about 18 years ago. I really wish she'd been around for me at this time. I took prophyllactic measures (surgeries) to eliminate the risk of return. I've got a 15 & 22 year old.

Also I think I am alive & here to do something else. THis is like a second lifetime, a new beginning.
    Using my skills and resources utilized during chemo, I've made a healing visualization/music recording for use during chemotherapy. Looking for feedback and funding. I'll fund a professional grade CD if neccessary.
    For now, if anyone would like a "demo" copy to use during chemo....you can contact me through my website: vickirichards.net Would appreciate any suggestions as to where I should sent this recording...
    All the Best
    Vicki
  • jamiesue1
    jamiesue1 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Angela,
    I am so happy for

Hi Angela,

I am so happy for you. I will be having my DIEP Flap reconstruction surgery on Jan. 7, 2009.
    I partly dread it and partly can't wait to have it.

Congrats to you!!!!

Jamie