Jana Miller's Obituary

Options
Lisa Rose
Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HURLBUT-MILLER -- Jana Hurlbut-Miller, MD, passed away peacefully on October 13, 2008 after battling cancer for over six years. She died at her new home in Salt Lake City, UT at the age of 38. Born June 2, 1970 in Washington state, Jana then grew up in Albuquerque, NM. She received her bachelor's degree from the University of Wisconsin, Madison. After working in commercial real estate, she realized her true gift was in helping people. She was accepted into medical school at the University of Massachusetts, and graduated in 2001. She married her medical school sweetheart of four years shortly before graduation. They then moved to Houston, TX for residency training, she in family practice and he in ophthalmology. In spite of multiple major surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation, Jana completed her residency and worked as a professor for two years at the University of Texas Medical School. She also traveled extensively, studied ceramics and photography, and became a talented potter. She did volunteer work with the Junior League of America, and participated in many charitable events. Jana is the beloved wife of Peter Hurlbut-Miller; and treasured daughter of Bruce Miller, Estelle Miller, and step-mother Jill Miller. She leaves behind siblings Joshua, Seth, and Tamara, as well as countless close friends. Jana's bravery, strength and positive outlook on life has been an inspiration to everyone who had the good fortune to know her. A Memorial will be held for her in Sandia Park, NM on November 1, 2008 at 4:00. Please contact the family for details. In lieu of flowers contributions can be made to the University of Massachusetts Memorial Foundation, 333 South St., Shrewsbury, MA 01545.

Comments

• vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Jana
    I just signed on and this hit me like a train. Jana was a regular contributor to this board with good advice for all. I hadn't noticed any posts for awhile but had some gaps myself so thought I might have just missed them. May God bless her soul and give comfort to her husband and family.

• 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Jana was a Wisconsin Badger!?
    Thank you Lisa Rose, as usual keeping us updated.

Sweet Baby Girl Andrea, Bud, Kerry, and now Jana. There are many others but these are the ones with whom I connected on a personal level. This always hits hard.

Jana, we will miss you and your upbeat spirit.

peace, emily :-(
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Thank You!!!
    Thank you, Lisa, for posting this. I can still picture Jana with the most beautiful smile on her face despite any suffering she was experiencing. The way she approached her illness is a true model for us all.

Hugs,

Kay
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    prayers
    As I say my prayers and pray for so many of you, I still pause and think of Jana and Kerry. I have been so blessed just to have met them in Nashville. They give us all the inspiration we need to live life to the fullest as they did.
    Jo Ann
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Lisa Rose!
    What a wonderful testament to a wonderful lady. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I have a lump in my throat when I think of all of the sweet souls I have had to say "goodbye" to.

Hugs, Kathi
  • Btrcup
    Btrcup Member Posts: 286
    Options
    so sad
    I'm so sorry to hear about Jana. I had the pleasure of meeting her in Austin.

Linda
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Jana will be missed
    I never had the pleasure of meeting Jana but she had an incredible influence on me. Her strength was remarkable and whenever I felt like I had it bad, she would give me a wakeup call and put things into perspective for me. I am so saddened by her passing but I am also inspired by how she lived a full life, even if it was cut short.
    Peace Jana
    -phil
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Jana will be missed
    I never had the pleasure of meeting Jana but she had an incredible influence on me. Her strength was remarkable and whenever I felt like I had it bad, she would give me a wakeup call and put things into perspective for me. I am so saddened by her passing but I am also inspired by how she lived a full life, even if it was cut short.
    Peace Jana
    -phil

wow..
    She helped me with a great smile in her posts. So many people to be missed.
    Great journey and blessings
    Chip