Male Breast Cancer-Men Only

Options
ManWithaMission
ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a white,56 yr. old ,overweight male in North Carolina who was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in August 2007.I have talked to many Women with Breast Cancer and even joined several
Breast Cancer Support Groups for Women! Although all these women have been very supportive and loving in their own way by accepting me into their "club", I still feel like an outsider. Why don't us Men with Breast Cancer start our own little organization and support groups instead of being "linked" with women? Sorry ladies,but this is for MEN ONLY! I want to hear from ALL you men,past and present, who have had this "menial" condition. Contact me here or through e-mail:robertthomas120@yahoo.com

Comments

• Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Just another man
    57 yr old man had surgery 5/22/08, started chemo 7/14/08.
    There arn't enough men to try to start a splinter group.
    The women have most of the experience and we men can learn a whole lot by being here with them.
    BC is BC no matter the gender. They out rank us 1000 to 1. Chemo is chemo regardless of gender.
    I don't care that I lost my hair but most women do.
    I don't care that I lost my "breast" but it is a big deal for women.
    That's about the only difference that I have found so far.
    Fear,anxiety,nausea,vomiting,diareha,fatigue,bone pain and on and on are things we all share.
    If I had to rely on a mens only group I would have given up a long time ago.
    Enjoy and learn and get involved with the other survivors--- MEN and WOMEN
    Bill S
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Bill.S said:

Just another man
    The women have most of the experience and we men can learn a whole lot by being here with them.
    BC is BC no matter the gender. They out rank us 1000 to 1. Chemo is chemo regardless of gender.
    Fear,anxiety,nausea,vomiting,diareha,fatigue,bone pain and on and on are things we all share.
    Bill S

Somehow, your post made me
    Somehow, your post made me feel good. Thanks Bill. Love, Joyce
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Bill.S said:

Just another man
    Bill S

Thanks Bill. I am so glad
    Thanks Bill. I am so glad that we were able to help you through your journey. Your post made be feel good. After all, we are all going through the same thing. Glad to have you back, Bill. Hugs, Lili
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    Bill.S said:

Just another man
    Bill S

Just another man
    Hello Bill, It's nice to meet another man who had breast cancer.When I talk about men with
    breast cancer getting together,I don't mean as a splinter group. I just mean talking with each
    other about what happened to us when we were told we had breast cancer,what we went through
    with chemo and radiation and what we are going to do after it is all over with? You said that men don't care if we lose our hair. That we don't care if we lose a breast,but women do. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month,but how many ads have you seen for Male Breast Cancer?How many Doctors asked you if you had any lumps in your chest or if you did "self breast exams"? When I talk about forming our own group,I mean to get the word out about Male Breast Cancer. Talk to men in your city or state about the risks to them of breast cancer. Health Care Professionals check men for Prostrait cancer,Colen cancer and Testicular cancer. Why shouldn't they check us for Breast cancer? Just because women have had this longer than usor that there are more of them than us doesn't mean that we should be discriminated against.Yes, we can learn alot from women about breast cancer,but not how to deal with feeling less masculine or embaressed to tell other men that you have a women's disease. Feeling like you don't exist. But we do exist! We need to get together to spread the word about Male Breast Cancer! We are not alone! Put a little BLUE in the Pink!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options

Just another man
    Hello Bill, It's nice to meet another man who had breast cancer.When I talk about men with
    breast cancer getting together,I don't mean as a splinter group. I just mean talking with each
    other about what happened to us when we were told we had breast cancer,what we went through
    with chemo and radiation and what we are going to do after it is all over with? You said that men don't care if we lose our hair. That we don't care if we lose a breast,but women do. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month,but how many ads have you seen for Male Breast Cancer?How many Doctors asked you if you had any lumps in your chest or if you did "self breast exams"? When I talk about forming our own group,I mean to get the word out about Male Breast Cancer. Talk to men in your city or state about the risks to them of breast cancer. Health Care Professionals check men for Prostrait cancer,Colen cancer and Testicular cancer. Why shouldn't they check us for Breast cancer? Just because women have had this longer than usor that there are more of them than us doesn't mean that we should be discriminated against.Yes, we can learn alot from women about breast cancer,but not how to deal with feeling less masculine or embaressed to tell other men that you have a women's disease. Feeling like you don't exist. But we do exist! We need to get together to spread the word about Male Breast Cancer! We are not alone! Put a little BLUE in the Pink!

MEN TOO CAN GET BC
    Hello MWM

I am a 3 time breast cancer survivor and I worry for both my daughter and my son. Thank you for writing, I plan to show your above comments to my adult son as a reminder that he too needs to be aware of lumps and bumps!

My best to you,

RE
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Bill.S said:

Just another man
    Bill S

You are right, Bill!
    The only difference IS attitude!!!!

You GO, GUY!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Just another man

Unfortunately, blue is taken....LOL!
    Blue ribbon, depending on the shade, is for either colorectal cancer (royal blue), testicular cancer (light blue), or ovarian (teal blue).

(Now don't get mad....I'm just pulling your leg....)

Hugs, Kathi
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    KathiM said:

Unfortunately, blue is taken....LOL!
    Blue ribbon, depending on the shade, is for either colorectal cancer (royal blue), testicular cancer (light blue), or ovarian (teal blue).

(Now don't get mad....I'm just pulling your leg....)

Hugs, Kathi

Blue is Taken!
    You're right Kathi,all the good blues are taken.So how about we take the lower left tail of
    the Pink ribbon and color it basic blue?That way us men can have our own little corner.LOL.
    Hugs,Robert
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options

Blue is Taken!
    You're right Kathi,all the good blues are taken.So how about we take the lower left tail of
    the Pink ribbon and color it basic blue?That way us men can have our own little corner.LOL.
    Hugs,Robert

blue for you
    I have a blue ribbon that has blue on thr ends.For male breast cancer awareness
    So there is blue in the pink.when i took chemo this week i got the pink and blur ribbon.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

Blue is Taken!
    Hugs,Robert

Actually, that is a fabulous
    Actually, that is a fabulous idea! I can totally see it. Definitely need to go somewhere with that... Thanks for your important posts. love, Joyce
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options

Blue is Taken!
    Hugs,Robert

You could use a water-proof
    You could use a water-proof pen and draw the symbol for male on one tail. When people ask about it you get to explain your mission.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Blue is Taken!
    Hugs,Robert

MWM you need to spread the
    MWM you need to spread the message, maybe you should market that ribbon. Hugs, Lili
  • BFrank229
    BFrank229 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Blue is Taken!
    Hugs,Robert

Pink/Blue
    There is already a pink and blue ribbon for male BC that was created by the John W. Nick Foundation.
    Here it is: http://www.johnwnickfoundation.org/pinkandblueribbon.html

BTW, I'm a male BC survivor - diagnosed in 2005/mastectomy/chemo - and have been living clean since.
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    BFrank229 said:

Pink/Blue
    There is already a pink and blue ribbon for male BC that was created by the John W. Nick Foundation.
    Here it is: http://www.johnwnickfoundation.org/pinkandblueribbon.html

BTW, I'm a male BC survivor - diagnosed in 2005/mastectomy/chemo - and have been living clean since.

Pink&Blue
    Dear BFrank229,
    Thanks for the website address.I thought I would have to start my own Campaign For Male Breast Cancer Awareness.I am relived to know that I am not alone in this fight to make men aware of this "condition'.I have talked to several men with breast cancer but they all seem to be embarrassed or afraid to admit they have a "woman's disease". I know I was at first,but I got over my embarrassment and decited that other guys should know about this,too. I have had a lump in my chest since I was a teen and no one in 43 years ever asked me if I had any lumbs there. When did it turn cancerous? I don't know,and the Doctors probably don't know either.

I've been cancer free for 16 months now and hope to stay that way for a long time. I will visit this site you gave me as soon as I post this thread. I don't know why I have not heard of this organization before? But be assured, if this is a place where men can find others in this "situation",I will be spreading the word! We need to inform our Fathers, brothers,sons and uncles of Male Breast Cancer so that this is not a "silent" killer anymore.

Sincerely, Robert
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

Pink&Blue
    Dear BFrank229,
    Thanks for the website address.I thought I would have to start my own Campaign For Male Breast Cancer Awareness.I am relived to know that I am not alone in this fight to make men aware of this "condition'.I have talked to several men with breast cancer but they all seem to be embarrassed or afraid to admit they have a "woman's disease". I know I was at first,but I got over my embarrassment and decited that other guys should know about this,too. I have had a lump in my chest since I was a teen and no one in 43 years ever asked me if I had any lumbs there. When did it turn cancerous? I don't know,and the Doctors probably don't know either.

I've been cancer free for 16 months now and hope to stay that way for a long time. I will visit this site you gave me as soon as I post this thread. I don't know why I have not heard of this organization before? But be assured, if this is a place where men can find others in this "situation",I will be spreading the word! We need to inform our Fathers, brothers,sons and uncles of Male Breast Cancer so that this is not a "silent" killer anymore.

Sincerely, Robert

Hi MWM
    Happy New Year! It's been a while since you have posted~ I'm glad to see the brothers in here with the sisters. Well, of course it would be even better if NO ONE needed a cancer board, but until that time, welcome back!

16 months cancer-free?? YAY!!! Way to go! Her's to another 16 months, and another, and another.....

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    chenheart said:

Hi MWM
    Happy New Year! It's been a while since you have posted~ I'm glad to see the brothers in here with the sisters. Well, of course it would be even better if NO ONE needed a cancer board, but until that time, welcome back!

16 months cancer-free?? YAY!!! Way to go! Her's to another 16 months, and another, and another.....

Hugs,
    Claudia

Thanks chenheart
    It has been a while since I posted last. Didn't have much to talk about then. I have been trying to spread the word about Male Breast Cancer since I was diagnosed Sept.2007. Today I've found out that there is a website for Male Breast Cancer that was established in 1994 or 1995! And it's trademarked! There goes all my hopes and dreams.LOL!!! Strange,for a Male Breast Cancer site to have been around for so long and yet no one seems to know about them? Seems that this girl's father died from breast cancer and she wanted to get the word out to other men. Seems to me that she's not doing such a good job of it since I just heard about it today! Maybe I should help her out with this,huh?LOL!

I hope to be around for 16 more months and 16 years(or more),God willing.If not,I'm ready to go. I hear the other side is a hell of a lot better than here.LOL!!!!!!!

HUGS!!! Robert
  • BFrank229
    BFrank229 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Pink&Blue
    Dear BFrank229,

Sincerely, Robert

Nick Foundation
    Robert -

Yes, this organization seems to have been around for a while, but I don't know much about them. I check the site every once in a while, but don't get much of a feel for them or what they do, either way.

For more information/contact, you might want to get in touch with Bob Riter (Assoc. Dir.) at The Cancer Resource Center of the Finger Lakes (http://www.ibca.net/index.php). He also happens to be a male BC survivor and has a lot of insight and info on this subject. His contact info is on the site.

Congrats on your first 16 months...the next 16 will gone before you know it.

- Brooks