Hexelan

Options
LPack
LPack Member Posts: 645
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I am new to this board, actually, just a few minutes ago. I did not see anything about Hexelan. Or maybe I am looking in the wrong area. But I have Ovarian Cancer Stage 3C and have completed 7 out of 9 cycles of chemo. Am going to my GYN/ONC this afternoon to see what my next step is.

Was unable to complete #8 & 9 because of toxicity. Has anyone been on Hexelan? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,
LPack

Comments

• BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    welcome
    Sorry you had to find this place, but if you have to deal with ovca in anyway it is a great place to be.

I have never been on Hexalen, you could search for shortstuff posts as I know Polly was. She said it was easy on the body, really gave good results but caused depression. Another women I know said it made her go from happy to sad also, but also had good results against the cancer. That is all I ever heard about it.

Again welcome, I am sure someone will post that has taken it or can share more information.

Hugs N Prayers bonnie
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Lpack
    I'm sorry I have never been on Helexen so I can't offer any help,but have heard that is does make one depressed. I'm usually a very postive person so I don't think it would bother me....especially if it knocked the beast down!! Good luck~~Joanne
  • LPack
    Options
    floridajo said:

Lpack
    I'm sorry I have never been on Helexen so I can't offer any help,but have heard that is does make one depressed. I'm usually a very postive person so I don't think it would bother me....especially if it knocked the beast down!! Good luck~~Joanne

Thank you both for your
    Thank you both for your responses. I am a very joyful person, so I am not going to anticipate depression! With God all things are possible! He is the only One where 2 + 2 can equal 10!! I am also scheduled for a bone scan on the 27th (pain in lower back). I pray there is no metastasis. Again thanks, and have a wonderful day.

Libby
  • carol2dogs
    carol2dogs Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Hexelan
    Hello and welcome to this board. I am sorry, but I know nothing about Hexelan. I just had to respond, however, to tell you that I just love your picture! How adorable!

Good luck to you on your next step. I hope your doctor finds the chemo for you that will both work and have minimal side effects.
    Carol
  • LPack
    Options

Hexelan
    Hello and welcome to this board. I am sorry, but I know nothing about Hexelan. I just had to respond, however, to tell you that I just love your picture! How adorable!

Good luck to you on your next step. I hope your doctor finds the chemo for you that will both work and have minimal side effects.
    Carol

Thank you, Carol. Those are
    Thank you, Carol. Those are our 2 grandchildren and we have 2 more on the way. One due in November and the other in May.

I started Hexalen this morning. My dose seems large. 2 capsules (50MG each) 4 times a day. Same side effects as carbo/taxol mostly, but no premeds to take ahead of time to offset.

Will have a bone scan next Monday to see if metastasis because of lower back pain that "seems" to be in my bones. I am now much more aware of every ache and pain but don't want to live in fear of it either.

Thanks again,
    Libby
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    LPack said:

Thank you, Carol. Those are
    Thank you, Carol. Those are our 2 grandchildren and we have 2 more on the way. One due in November and the other in May.

I started Hexalen this morning. My dose seems large. 2 capsules (50MG each) 4 times a day. Same side effects as carbo/taxol mostly, but no premeds to take ahead of time to offset.

Will have a bone scan next Monday to see if metastasis because of lower back pain that "seems" to be in my bones. I am now much more aware of every ache and pain but don't want to live in fear of it either.

Thanks again,
    Libby

Bone pain
    Many of us have head the bone pain,and if it helps any the chances of ovca metatizing to the bone is 2% I believe. My pain was caused due to nerve damage from the large masses in my back area that crushed the nerve endings. I hope all turns out well for you...~~~Joanne
  • LPack
    Options
    floridajo said:

Bone pain
    Many of us have head the bone pain,and if it helps any the chances of ovca metatizing to the bone is 2% I believe. My pain was caused due to nerve damage from the large masses in my back area that crushed the nerve endings. I hope all turns out well for you...~~~Joanne

Thank you Joanne, I am
    Thank you Joanne, I am believing it has something to do with that too. What a wonderful support group this network is!

Thanks,
    Libby
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome and ask all you want
    I haven't had this drug... so only can welcome you to our group. I'm also on a new one, Femara, which acts like tamoxifen and is an antiestrogen. This will give me a chemo rest after 20 months of it. I googled Femara+ovarian to read what I could on the internet. It is an easy drug to take by pill form. So far, no side effects after 3 doses. (((Hugs))) Saundra
  • JanQ
    JanQ Member Posts: 236
    Options
    google
    I googled Hexalen and it gave alot on it. Try it.
  • JanQ
    Options
    Hexalen
    Did you asy that was a pill? I think that is what my doctor has planned next for me. he said I would take the pill for 2 weeks and then off two weeks ( I think that is how he said it was). I am on a break now I am also stage 3c. Hoep to hear from you.

Jan
  • LPack
    Options
    JanQ said:

google
    I googled Hexalen and it gave alot on it. Try it.

Hi Jan,
    I started last

Hi Jan,

I started last Monday with Hexalen and have 6 days to go and then 14 days off, for a total of 6 cycles.

I also had a total body bone scan done today. I too have my trust in Jesus my Savior and Lord. He is in control, not me. I do need reminded of that at times, as I am a fixer, doer, get the job done kind of person.

You look so young, but are very positive and that is a Praise the Lord.

So far the side effects have been minimal. But then again, I have a wonderful support system of praying family and friends.

Thanks for responding and may God Bless you and your family.

Libby
  • JanQ
    Options
    LPack said:

Hi Jan,
    I started last

Hi Jan,

I started last Monday with Hexalen and have 6 days to go and then 14 days off, for a total of 6 cycles.

I also had a total body bone scan done today. I too have my trust in Jesus my Savior and Lord. He is in control, not me. I do need reminded of that at times, as I am a fixer, doer, get the job done kind of person.

You look so young, but are very positive and that is a Praise the Lord.

So far the side effects have been minimal. But then again, I have a wonderful support system of praying family and friends.

Thanks for responding and may God Bless you and your family.

Libby

thanks
    Libby,

So are you 14 days on and 14 off? My doctor said that is how it would be with what I took,but I can't remember what he called it. He said since I was taking a break we would talk more when I started back on treatment. I am getting ready to order some cellquest to take while I am on my break.

When you said I looked young Hee-hee, that is a picture of my 21 yr old daughter and 17 year on son. I started this journey when I was 46 and I just turned 51.

I am feeling so good now off of chemo, and plan to enjoy every monemnt of my break.
    I am so excited about the holidays!
    Praise God that you are having minimal side-effects.

God Bless, Jan
  • LPack
    Options
    JanQ said:

thanks
    Libby,

So are you 14 days on and 14 off? My doctor said that is how it would be with what I took,but I can't remember what he called it. He said since I was taking a break we would talk more when I started back on treatment. I am getting ready to order some cellquest to take while I am on my break.

When you said I looked young Hee-hee, that is a picture of my 21 yr old daughter and 17 year on son. I started this journey when I was 46 and I just turned 51.

I am feeling so good now off of chemo, and plan to enjoy every monemnt of my break.
    I am so excited about the holidays!
    Praise God that you are having minimal side-effects.

God Bless, Jan

Jan, I was laughing out
    Jan, I was laughing out loud. You sure had me fooled. I turned 52 this year. We have 4 children - daughter 33, sons 32, 29, 27. Multiple births another plus for NOT getting ovarian cancer. :)

I have 5 days to go and then 14 days off and will take nutraMetrix OPC for 2 weeks. Suppose to help my cells, can't remember what else my doctor said. :)

I too am excited about the holidays and also our daughter is ready to give birth to her second son, our 3rd grandchild and we have another on the way. God is so good (all the time)!

In His Grip,
    Libby
  • JanQ
    Options
    LPack said:

Jan, I was laughing out
    Jan, I was laughing out loud. You sure had me fooled. I turned 52 this year. We have 4 children - daughter 33, sons 32, 29, 27. Multiple births another plus for NOT getting ovarian cancer. :)

I have 5 days to go and then 14 days off and will take nutraMetrix OPC for 2 weeks. Suppose to help my cells, can't remember what else my doctor said. :)

I too am excited about the holidays and also our daughter is ready to give birth to her second son, our 3rd grandchild and we have another on the way. God is so good (all the time)!

In His Grip,
    Libby

God
    AMEN!